Beginnings & Endings

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Beginnings & Endings

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Beginnings and Endings starts in January!

Yes, the Book Club is starting a new activity in January, aptly named Beginnings & Endings. Once a week we'll post two quotes taken from books. These quotes will be either the first (or last) sentence of a book. (In some cases it might be two or more sentences, up to a paragraph, to give a clear indication of the book.)

You have a week to tell us the name of the book from which the quote came, and the author who wrote that book. When that week is up, we'll post the answer and go on to the next two quotes.

Ready? I think these will be rather obvious but hey, they are favorite quotes of mine!

One -
The scar had not pained Harry for 19 years. All was well.
Two -
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Send me your answers in a HOL Forum PM (click this to send PM to me) titled Beginnings and Endings. Write it as such:
One - As You Like It - William Shakespeare
Two - Charlotte's Web - E.B. White
These are not necessarily correct answers.

You will receive 10 Beans per answer; the requirements of completion of this activity (and which goes towards the possibility of snagging a Book Club award) are completed when you get at least five of them in a month.

If you have any questions about this, send me a HOL Forum PM and ask! :)
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Beginnings & Endings

We have someone who recognized those quotes!

Emily Spencer

Who's next?
Professor Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Answers to previous week:
One - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
Two - Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Beans are sent to Emily and Scarlet.

Next batch -- you have a week to tell me the name of the book from which the quote came, and the author who wrote that book.

One
I take his hand, holding on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading the moment when I will finally have to let go.
Two
The flotillas of the dead sailed around the world on underwater rivers.
Again, send me your answers in a HOL Forum PM titled Beginnings and Endings. Write it as such:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Again, someone knows!

Emily Spencer has recognized the quotes.

Who's next?
Professor Scarlet Leslie-Lewis knows them too!

Followed by .....
February Fortescue
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Answers to previous week
One- The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Two - Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

Beans have been sent to Emily, Scarlet and February

Here are a couple more. You have a week to tell me the name of the book from which the quote came, and the author who wrote that book.

One
After a particularly unrewarding interview with his beloved, Malcolm was driving home along a dark, winding country lane when he ran over a badger.
Two
"Well," the captain muttered, heading hurriedly across the outer room towards the passage, "here we go again!"

Send me your answers in a HOL Forum PM titled Beginnings and Endings. Write it as such:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

I just posted it and someone has already sent in their answer!

February Fortescue knows the books and the authors.

Who is next?
Emily Spencer (right on February's electronic heels, as 'twere)

Followed by:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Answers to previous week
One - Expecting Someone Taller - Tom Holt
Two - The Witches of Karres - James H. Schmitz

Beans have been sent to Emily, February and Scarlet.

Here are your next two quotes. You have a week to tell me the name of the book from which the quote came, and the author who wrote that book.

One
This by the hand of Tamara, daughter to Earl Scorpy of Verset.
Two
If you have the blood of the pharaohs, what are you waiting for? Don't let your magic go to waste. Brooklyn House is open for business.

Send me your answers in a HOL Forum PM titled Beginnings and Endings. Write it as such:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Professor Scarlet Leslie-Lewis sent in her correct findings!

Who is next?

Emily Spencer is next!

Followed by:
Aurelia West
Silvana Mandeville
Amy Darvill
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Answers to previous week
One - Three Hands for Scorpio - Andre Norton
Two -The Serpent's Shadow - Rick Riordan

Beans have been sent to Scarlet, Emily, Aurelia, Silvana and Amy.

Here are the last quotes for January. You have a week to tell me the name of the book from which the quote came, and the author who wrote that book.

One
Old ghosts lived behind Cat Midhir's eyes, memories that had no home until they came to haunt her.
Two
And with a lighter heart, she turned back down the path that led to the Collegium.
The Collegium--and home.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Silvana Mandeville sent in the correct answers!

Closely followed by

Next is:

Aurelia West
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Answers to previous week:

One - Yarrow - Charles de Lint
Two - Arrows of the Queen - Mercedes Lackey

Beans have been sent to Silvana, Scarlet and Aurelia.

Our first quotes for February are:

One
He nodded. "Yes. Of course. Michael made an offering, too."
He took it from me gently and laid it beside the water pot, at the feet of the god.
Two
I couldn't see his face.
He was running along a mountain trail. Running desperately. Pursued by black grasping shadows that were little more than holes in the air, but there was no mistaking their intention.
You have a week to tell me the name of the book from which the quote came, and the author who wrote that book.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Aurelia West has already identified the quotes!

Who is next?

Emily Spencer

Followed by -

Amy Darvill
Silvana Mandeville
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The answers for last week:
One-My Brother Michael-Mary Stewart
Two-The Paladin Prophecy-Mark Frost

Beans were sent to Aurelia, Emily, Amy and Silvana.

The next February quotes are:

One
"That is my decision. We need not discuss it," said the man at the desk.
Two
No limits, Jonathan? he thought, and he smiled. His race to learn had begun.
You have a week to tell me the name of the book from which the quote came, and the author who wrote that book.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Silvana Mandeville has sent in the answers already!

Who's next?
Emily Spencer

Followed by
Aurelia West
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Answers for last week:
One - Alanna: The First Adventure - Tamora Pierce
Two - Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach

Beans have been sent to Silvana, Emily and Aurelia.

Try these out ---

One
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
NOTE: Please be aware that this sentence is quoted a lot in the writings of others. I want the original source, not someone who has quoted it. Thanks!

Two
So Lyra and her dæmon turned away from the world they were born in, and looked toward the sun, and walked into the sky.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Emily Spencer is first to identify the books and authors.

Who is next?

Silvana Mandeville

Followed by

Aurelia West
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The answers for last week:
One - Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
Two - The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman

Beans have been sent to Emily, Silvana and Aurelia.

The last set of Beginnings and Endings for February are:

One
In the mid-1980s, having just achieved my doctorate degree from the University of California at Berkeley, my family and I decided on impulse to spend a year or two living on our small farm in Honaunau in the South Kona District of Hawai'i Island.
Two
But they never learned what it was that Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which had to do, for there was a gust of wind, and they were gone.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Silvana Mandeville identified them!

Who is next?

Professor Sindor Aloyarc

Followed by -

February Fortescue
Aurelia West
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Hi there! I’ll be your host through March. The answers from last week are:

One-The Bowl of Light-Hank Wesselman

Two-A Wrinkle in Time-Madeleine L'Engle

The first set of Beginnings and Endings for March are:

One:
It was a bright day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.
Two:
For a while I stand and watch, until the beach is clear and the man takes my hand and leads me to the lighthouse.

Send me (Emily Spencer) your answers in a HOL Forum Pm titled Beginnings & Endings. Write it as such:

One - As You Like It- William Shakespeare
Two - Charlotte’s Web - E.B. White
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Silvana Mandeville was the first to identify them.

Followed closely by:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Who’s next?!
Hannah Lovegood
Aurelia West
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “Book Club”