Book Bout - Settings for Books

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Book Bout - Settings for Books

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

No story is written in a vacuum or in a blank room. Usually there are buildings, 'locales', different areas to identify the physical location of the story. Have you ever encountered a landscape that you think would make a good setting for a book? What is it (do not say specifics of location, just what the landscape 'is') and why would it be a good setting for a book?

Post below and tell us your ideas (in at least 80 words). You earn 5 points and 10 beans for letting us know about this location! You have until August 23rd to share this location with us.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Carrie Warts
No broom

Re: Book Bout - Settings for Books

Post by Carrie Warts »

So many beautiful landscapes everywhere in the world and all of then can evoque a different genre and plot.
I love green landscapes with mountains and a river or a lake in the middle, they give me a romantic vibe as well as an exploration and adventure feeling. Cities tend to also give me a romantic vibe - yeah, hopeless romantic over here - but also mystery and thriller.
I feel like the landscape also depends on whether is daytime, afternoon or nighttime or if it's sunny, raining or cloud. It totally changes the mood and the plot, but everyplace in every condition and time has its beauty and story to tell.
In one of my trips I saw this beautiful green landscape but it was connected to the city :O and I thought "this is great for a romantic thriller" - odd... I know LOL - it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been (I will go back one day and write a book, for sure).
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I live in the country-ish part of the region. Where there are farms, but you can still see the city on the horizon. This is where the forested areas and hills start to make themselves known. Near the edge of the forest, by the well-worn foot path where the folks usually go on walks, there is an abandoned farm. No one really knows to whom it belongs to, but I think that the proprietors died long ago as it is covered in vine and dilapidated, so I assume no one claimed it. The girl I am often babysitting decided to explore it once and we discovered either a fountain or a very big bird bath that was made from sort of stained glass mosaic. Considering its area and the beauty of the object, I think it would be a good 'entrance' to the fantasy world. The one that the protagonist discovers before na adventure, like the wardrobe in Narnia series.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

I recently visited a small cemetery. It was such an atmospheric place because it was very small and it had a Dickensian feel to it. The gravestones were old-fashioned slate-coloured stones, engraved with dates in the 1800s and some had religious quotes on them too. Others had symbols carved on them, one of which was the Ouroboros ( a snake eating its own tail). A few of the graves did not have a headstone but an unnamed small stone cross. This area could be a scene for a fantasy tale of ancient symbols or one that involves portals as well as the spooky things that only come out at night.
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I've spent a lot of time lately comparing where I grew up to where I live now. Where I grew up was largely corporate - my town was home to one of the largest shopping malls in the country and was sprawling with businesses, roads, homes, and people. The town I moved to is further out west. My neighbors have been here long enough that they remember when my house was a field and they could see open land for miles. That being said, there is a big, open field with a creek behind my neighborhood. People use that field for all kinds of activity, and it's one of the only areas of land around me not up for sale. I could see a story or two being written about the adventures being had in the 'wilderness' and freedom right behind the neighborhood where someone grew up.
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

I think that England is truly a great place for many different stories. Other than stories, which took place in London and around it (such as Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts), I think a great idea would be to use other English towns such as Brighton (Brighton and Hove) or Sandwich (Kent) or legendary Hastings.

I think one of my favourite discoveries in London (where I live) was a very old cemetery in a small city in East London. It's quite close to the supermarket and the local school. The graves in there are extremely old and the whole cemetery is mostly abandoned. I think the best proof of this are a couple of things:
1. It's not even on the map. It's named after Ruins because of the ruins which are behind the cemetery.
2. Some graves are dated to 1500
3. Most of the gravestones are completely ruined or gone.

The scariest thing, however, is when it was founded. According to the guides, the cemetery is dated to 666 AD! This place is just an amazing spot for a good horror movie!
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

Above my house, several acres back, there are hundreds of acres of flat land at the very top of the (hill? mountain?). It was created as the result of "strip mining," which is when coal companies removed the tops of the (hills? mountains?) to remove the coal. It's now covered in grass and plants and the occasional wild flowers. Someone at some point released horses there, so there are bands of those running around. There's no light interference, so you can lay there at night and see the stars, too. Perfect setting for a book!
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.

Return to “Book Club”