Book Bout - Sign Ups

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Book Bout - Sign Ups

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

With summer upon us and classwork a distant memory, the opportunity to travel by means of the written word has well and truly arrived. This year, we're putting a competitive twist on our usual summer reading challenge.

Introducing... Book Bout!

Unlike past reading challenges where you individually pledge and read books, this time around, you'll be placed on one of two teams. Through reading books and posting about them around the Book Club (and participating in extra discussions and other fun prompts) you'll be able to earn points for your team. You'll also be able to earn beans for any books read and individual awards are also up for grabs!

We'll be announcing a theme and more details for Book Bout on Monday, 6 July, which officially kicks off the event. The competition will run until Sunday, 23 August.

Interested in joining the bout? Post here to be sorted into a team!

The last day to sign up is Monday, 17 August, though posting before the competition starts will help us balance the teams more evenly.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Re: Book Bout - Sign Ups

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I volunteer as tribute!

This sounds as great fun. :)

Mostly Void, Partially Stars: Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, Volume 1 by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor
Adventure: Yes, every episode has an adventure or mystery to it.
Prompt: A book written in a style or format that is unfamiliar to you (such as verse or a play script) --- Podcast format.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Count me in!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Sounds like a lot of fun, I'm in :D

1. Wonder
2. Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Last edited by Iverian Gnash on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

Oooh, a twist! I'm up for some motivation :)

1. Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
2. Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers Fits the prompt 'has a forest in it'.
Last edited by Prof. Kendra Givens on Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

I'd love to participate!

Fits the prompt: A book featuring time travel
viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32392
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Eeeeexcellent >:)
*Muahahahahahaha!!*

(I’m down to clown)

1. [prompt.] — A book featuring a non-human perspective
"We, The Arcturians" viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32385

2. [prompt.] — A book with many different settings or locations
"The Starless Sea" viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32409
Last edited by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I'm in and ready to book!

The Woman in White is a wonderful classic Victorian mystery/Gothic horror novel. Prompt: A book with many different settings or locations The locations include a cemetery, an insane asylum, 2 large manor houses, and a boat house.

Wuthering Heights is a melodramatic Gothic Classic with a Byronic Hero as the main character (think Severus Snape. Prompt: A book set in a different time period. The 1700's sound romantic....

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is a Newberry Medal winning book about moving to a new culture and gain a new view of life, and sharing new views with others. Prompt: A book about a character moving to a new place. Kit grew up in the Caribbean but became an orphan and moved to New England to join Puritan relatives she'd never met.
Last edited by February Fortescue on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

Count me in!

The Serpent's Shadow - Battling monsters and demons, traveling to sites of Egyptian history... Quite the adventure! [Prompt] A book where language, translation and/or interpretation are important - hieroglyphics!

Silent Pantheon - Preventing the end of humanity is a both a physical and spiritual adventure. [Prompt] A book featuring a non-human perspective - the gods of the pantheon tell the story

The Lost Hero - A quest to rescue the queen of the gods is no easy feat. [Prompt] A book involving an unusual mode of transportation - Festus! The mechanical bronze dragon.

Your Move: What Board Games Teach Us About Life - [Prompt] A book with a map anywhere in it - Board game maps count, right? There were pictures of Pandemic Legacy, Rising Sun, and [the Settlers of] Catan.

The Son of Neptune - It featured a quest to rescue the god of death from a glacier in Alaska. [Prompt] A book featuring a ship - Pax, a Roman "ship" was used for quite a bit of the journey. The book ended with the entrance of the warship Argo II.
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Please count me in too. :D

1.Blithe Sprit

Prompt: set in a different time period
viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32402&p=292431#p292431

2. Fair Stood the Wind to France.

Promt: Set in a place I would like to visit. Much of the novel is set in France.

posting.php?f=391&mode=post&d=107

3. The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Prompt: Most of this book is set in a forest.

viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32489

4. The Landlord
Prompt: Character moving to a new place.

viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32525
Last edited by Emerald Wolvenhowl on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Adaleine Shuster

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I'm in! This sounds like so much fun
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

I want to take part too! :D

Books matching the prompt and the theme

- A book with a direction in the title
I read 'East, West' (viewtopic.php?f=467&t=32384). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'book with a direction in the title' because it's called East, West.

- A book set in a different time period
I read The Fever Code (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32418). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'book set in a different time period' because the year in the book is 221.

- A book set on another planet
I read The Martian (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32456). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'book set on another planet' because it's set on Mars.

- A book featuring a ship
I read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32457&p=292785#p292785). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'a book featuring a ship' because there is a ship called Dawn Treader.

- A book with a map anywhere in it
I read A Dog's Way Home (viewtopic.php?f=467&t=32387). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book with a map anywhere in it' because the edition I have (the Polish edition) has a map of Harmony Gap and Wild Cat Cove (fictional names of cities in North Carolina) at the front page.

- A book with many different settings or locations

- A book set in a country you'd like to visit

-A book about a scientific discovery
I read The Kill Order (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32397). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book about a scientific discovery' because it tells a story of how the Flare was created and exposed to the world.

- A book featuring a navigator or mapmaker
I read The maze runner (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=31580). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also first the prompt 'book featuring a map maker' because the runners (such as Mihno or Thomas) have created the replica and a map of the Maze to find a way around it better.

- A book featuring the first contact with aliens

- A book where the protagonist must retrieve something
I read The Death Cure (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32396&p=292394#p292394). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt ' A book where the protagonist must retrieve something' because Thomas and his friends have to find a way to retrieve their freedom.

- A book where language, translation and/or interpretation are important

- A book about a character moving to a new place
I read Trick (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32453). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'book about a character moving to a new place' because Daniele has to go to his daughter's flat to take care of his grandson.

- A book featuring a station of some kind

- A book featuring time travel
I read All our wrong todays (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32452). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'a book about time travel' because the main character has to use a time machine to get to our universe.

- A book with a journey in the title
I read The Incredible Journey (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32495). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book with a journey in the title' because its called 'The Incredible Journey'.

- A book featuring a forest/jungle
I read Twilight (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=30819&p=292952#p292952). It fits the theme as it is about adventure (it is also a romance). It fits the prompt ' A book featuring a forest/jungle' because there is a forest where Bella is quite often due to Jacob and Edward.

- A book featuring pirates/bandits
I read Peter Pan in Kensington Gradens (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32496). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book featuring pirates/bandits' because one of the major characters in the book is Captain Hook.

- A book about a culture other than your own
I read Norse Mythology (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=29794&p=292953#p292953). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'a book about a culture other than your own' because it features stories about Vikings.

- A book featuring a non-human perspective
I read A dog's purpose (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=29334&p=292926#p292926). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book featuring a non-human perspective' because the story is told by a dog.

- A book involving a story within a story
I read Sandman (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32487). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book involving a story within a story' because some of the book's features contain narration of their characters’ real-world dreams, and these narrations are stories within the main plot.

- A book featuring a long journey
I read The Scorch Trials (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32395&p=292386&hi ... ls#p292386). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book featuring a long journey' because Thomas and his friends have to travel around their world to find The Red Arm to stop WICKED. This is a long and dangerous journey to the mountains and even further.

- A book involving an unusual mode of transportation
I read Around the World in Eighty Days (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32486). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book involving an unusual mode of transportation' because the main character uses a hot air balloon to travel around the world.

- A book in a genre you don't usually read
I read It (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=30677&p=292916#p292916). It fits the theme as it's about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book written in a genre you don't usually read' because I rarely read horror books.

- A book written in a style or format that is unfamiliar to you (such as verse or a play script)
I read Fantastic Beasts and where to find them (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=29437&p=292786#p292786). It fits the theme as it is about adventure. It also fits the prompt 'A book written in a style or format that is unfamiliar to you (such as verse or a play script)' because it's written in the form of a script.

Other books
I read The Graveyard Book viewtopic.php?f=391&t=31762. It fits the theme of adventure but there's not much which actually fits the prompts.
Last edited by Louis Walles on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

YAAAS! I'm IN :D

1. The Green Mile
2. A Court of Thorns and Roses A book with many different settings or locations (is a world divided between humans and non-humans and the non-human world has like 5 different locations within *mind blown*)
3. Charlie and The Chocolate Factory A book about a scientific discovery (I attribute this book to be of an adventure because for the kids it is and with a scientific discovery - more like many - because Charlie was indeed brilliant and invented so many food and chocolate related creations that no one ever imagined possible)
Last edited by Carrie Warts on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

I would like to participate

A book with many different settings or locations(all the 7 books come in this category)
Throne of Glass (all the books of the series)

A book set in a country you'd like to visit
2)Jane Eyre

A book in a different time period(all the three books come under this category)
3)Infernal devices (all the three books)(in the shadowhunter universe)
4) Inferno
A book where the protagonist must retrieve something
viewtopic.php?f=391&t=28758&p=292468#p292468

It
A book in genre I don't usually read
viewtopic.php?f=391&t=30677#p292502
Last edited by Amy Smith on Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:39 am, edited 11 times in total.
Isa Vestal
No broom

Post by Isa Vestal »

Sounds fun! I’m in!

1) The Poisoner’s Handbook (fits the theme of scientific discovery)
viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32386
Last edited by Isa Vestal on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pigfarts, Pigfarts, here I come!
Pigfarts, Pigfarts, yum yum yum!
Charlie Spencer
No broom

Post by Charlie Spencer »

Ooo, sounds fun! Count me in :D
Torii Taylor
No broom

Post by Torii Taylor »

Sounds awesome! I'd love to participate.

1. Took (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32393)

This book fits the prompt that the character is moving to a new place because the main characters and their family move to another state due to their parent's job loss.

This book fits the overall theme of adventure because when the little girl is "took" her family sets out to find her in the woods.

2. Greetings From Witness Protection! (viewtopic.php?f=391&t=32419)
Last edited by Torii Taylor on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

Well, I’m trying to make more time/balance more equally all of my hobbies, which includes HOL and reading, so this knocks out both with one punch.

Sign me up!
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

I could do some more reading, and this sounds fun. I'd like to participate.

1. I am number four- A book featuring a first contact with aliens

This meets the theme of adventure because the people in the story have travelled from one planet to another. This meets the theme 'A book featuring a first contact with aliens', because the main characters are an alien race and they meet many humans.

2. The Maze Runner- A book with a map anywhere in it

There is a group of people in the story make maps of the maze everyday and compare them to try to figure out a pattern.

3. Big Water- A book featuring a ship

This book features people being on a ship and a lifeboat. This book meets the overall adventure theme because people are travelling on a boat to go from one place to another.

4. A Time to Dance- A book about a culture other than your own

This books takes place in Chennai, India, and the main character and her family as well as many other characters in the book practice Hinduism. The main character as well as other characters in the book practice a traditional Indian dance called Bharatanatyam.

5. The First Test-A book about a character moving to a new place

The main character has moved from her hometown of Mindelan to the Court of King Jonathan of Tortall, where she takes part in training to become a page.
Last edited by Mia Fountain on Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ainsley Honn
No broom

Post by Ainsley Honn »

This sounds fun and I'm excited! I'm in!

Return to “Book Club”