Winter Reading Challenge 2019/2020

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Winter Reading Challenge 2019/2020

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:21 pm

The days are growing shorter for many of us, and we look at that stack of books we want to read (which somehow grew) and recognize it's time for our Winter Reading Challenge! Snuggle up in a comfy chair with a cup of hot cocoa and read!

The Winter Reading Challenge 2019/2020 offers you the chance to indulge in as many books as you can manage and earn a shiny award for doing what you love to do.

How does this work? Below you post a pledge for the amount of books you realistically think you will read between 9 December 2019 to 26 January 2020. This can be one book or as many as 5 (or more). Those who meet their pledged amount in the allotted time will receive the Winter Reading Challenge Winner Award.

Excited? YAY! Just take into consideration the following before you do it:

To qualify for the award, you’ll need to post something around the Book Club for every book that forms part of your pledge. This doesn't have to be just a series of reviews: you might present a new author on The Bookshelf or start a conversation about something more general you noticed in several books on Between the Pages. You can read a book which already has a topic and reply to it with your own observations.

While there are specific guidelines in the 'Overview' threads on each subforum, for this Challenge here are a couple things to keep in mind. To ensure that people get the most out of any reviews you write for The Bookshelf, we’re asking you to make your comments a minimum of 80 words long. This does not include the info about the book’s title, author or series. If someone has already started a topic about your book, author or subject, please contribute to that rather than starting a brand new one of your own. (Note: If you post a new topic about a book or author which already has a topic established, we will move your post over for you.) Also, make sure the review or discussion is yours and based on your own thoughts while reading; lifting a review from Goodreads or elsewhere on the internet, representing it as yours, is categorically not allowed.

Please note that all books chosen must be HOL-appropriate (ie. follow the guidelines set out by the HOL Handbook).

Once you've made a post about a book, please edit your pledge (below) to reflect that and point us in the right direction with a link to your book review. Remember, until you’ve posted about it, the book doesn’t count towards your pledge and won’t appear in the spreadsheet used to keep track of pledges. Please note that the spreadsheet might only be updated every few days. Spreadsheet

If you have any further questions not covered here, head on over to the Questions Thread and ask.

Things to remember:
1. Once you pledge your amount of books, you CAN’T reduce your pledge. That is why we are asking you to please pledge realistically the number of books you think you will be able to read.
2. However, if you are doing fine and realize you can read more books than the ones you pledged, it is OK to raise your pledge to a higher number. (However, if you meet your initial pledge of, say, 4 books (reading and writing about them), and decide to increase your pledge to, say, 6 books, but do not meet this new pledge, unfortunately you wouldn't get the award for meeting your initial pledge. In this scenario though, you are welcome to keep to your initial pledge of 4 books, while still reading and posting about 6 books.)
3. On-line fanfiction is not allowed, but you can certainly re-read a book, listen to an audio book or read a graphic novel. (Remember, that while online fanfiction and the like doesn’t count, you’re free to mix it up with some re-reading, audio books or graphic novels.)
4. If you’d like to re-read one of the Harry Potter books or tackle one of the books we have read as part of our Monthly Book Discussions, then please feel free. However, we would prefer you to read another book as well as that one and post a discussion rather than a review.
5. Finally, once you have made a post about a book, it is important that you edit your pledge below with the name of the book, the author and give us a link to your post.
6. Do not list the books you plan to read when you post your pledge. In your initial post, you only write in the number of books you pledge to read.

Follow the guidelines above and start pledging now! Happy reading everyone!
*Avatar & Siggy by Dead Mousie (Iverian Gnash) created for Silver Snake*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Iverian Gnash
Moontrimmer

Re: Winter Reading Challenge 2019/2020

Post by Iverian Gnash » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 pm

Last edited by Iverian Gnash on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thanks to the amazing Prof. Scarlet for my siggy and avatar!
Amy Darvill
No broom

Post by Amy Darvill » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:49 am

Ironically, I've signed up for a real life reading challenge which goes until February, so I'll pledge 3 books. I hope to read more, but realistic goals here!
"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one." ~The Doctor
Emily Spencer
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emily Spencer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:51 am

Last edited by Emily Spencer on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" Cissy, put the boys in the cellar! I'm going to have a conversation with this one, girl to girl."
Adaleine Shuster
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adaleine Shuster » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:59 am

I'm going to start by pledging 2 books.
Made by my Secret Elf- Thank you!!
Kendra Givens
Moontrimmer

Post by Kendra Givens » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:27 am

I'll pledge 2.

Book 1: Every Note Played

Book 2: Projekt 1065
Last edited by Kendra Givens on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lora Wallabenger
No broom

Post by Lora Wallabenger » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:54 am

I'll pledge 2 books :)
Maxim Trevelyan
Comet 140

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:56 pm

I will pledge two books as well.
Sky Alton
Cleansweep Two

Post by Sky Alton » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Haven't read for a challenge in a while so why not! 4 books :)
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Lizzi Long
No broom

Post by Lizzi Long » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:26 am

I am pledging 10 books!

1. The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
2. The Selection by Kiera Cass
3. The Elite by Kiera Cass
4. The One by Kiera Cass
5. I'm a Gay Wizard by V.S. Santoni
6. 10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston
7. The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
8. Past Perfect Life By Elizabeth Eulberg
9. The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
10. The Heir by Kiera Cass
11. One Of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManus
Last edited by Lizzi Long on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:27 am

Three books. :)

1. The Ascension Mysteries by David Wilcock
2. The Lost World by Michael Crichton
3. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
4. Wild Bird by Wendelin Van Draanen
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Ky Greene
No broom

Post by Ky Greene » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:54 pm

This seems like a lot of fun. I'll pledge four books.

1. The Perfect Assassion by K.A. Doore
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:40 pm

Remember that the Winter Reading Challenge ends 26 January 2020!

You are welcome to sign up, but please remember, these are books you are reading AFTER you sign up. (You don't go and pick up a book that you've already read, skim it, and call that a reading. :P )

However, that still gives you time to read a book or two (or more, depending on how fast you read) before the end of day 26 January!

So -- sign up if you wish.

If you have already signed up, get reading! Remember to write up your review and then edit your pledge post with the link to the book review. (If you are unfamiliar with this forum and how it works, how to edit your pledge is shown here.)

Speaking of which -- we have four people who have already met their pledge! :o Well done to Lizzi, Kendra, Tarma and Dead Mousie Iverian,

Return to “Book Club”