Reading Treasure Map - Scribblings

Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Reading Treasure Map - Scribblings

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:48 pm

As you venture through the literary landscape of your choice, you may stumble across other interesting landmarks or even the habitats of fascinating creatures. Should you spot a dragon's lair you may wish to jot down "here be dragons" so as to warn other adventurers. Or perhaps in chatting to locals you might discover what they call their land. Share your cartography efforts below (with a short summary of any annotations you've made). Alternatively feel free to recount your adventures instead -- or even do both. Let your creativity roam free.

You'll receive 20 beans per post, provided you've put some effort into your maps and/or recountings (try to aim for 3-5 new annotations each time or a minimum of 100 words). Please also label which map you are using (eg. Map 1, 2 or 3) before the start of your post. If you are annotating your maps, please do not exceed 600x600 pixels.
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Re: Reading Treasure Map - Scribblings

Post by Bull J. Johnson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:25 pm

(This is for map 3.)

Today I was floating down the Rereading river on my wooden raft that I had made with my own two hands, when all of a sudden I spotted a young pup and a horse on the shore side. The pup I noticed was a pointer that had a white coat with a lot of brown speckles on it. The horse on the other hand was gray with a swirling pattern. I decided to pull my raft slowly to the side of the shore line and take both of these new found friends as my new traveling companion. Then we three continued down the river.

(PS...I hope this is what your looking for its a mixture of the book I'm reading for this place and a bit of my own creation.)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm

I swam to this island (Map 2), having been made to walk the gangplank of some wooden sailing ship (where did it come from?) the pirates of which stole my yacht and made off with the butterbeer and pizza! Sadness. :(

Coming ashore, all wet and with dripping hair, I found a wild and active and extremely strange group of peoples! It seemed they were into creating plays on something which is what the Muggles call 'moving photographs'. No. Moving pictures. I was extremely interested in this, and happened to espy a Muggle (or WAS he a Muggle) of a nice height, with dark hair and eyes, and he seemed to be the center of attention. Some of this attention was admiration or even adulation; other attention was detracting or extremely upset with him (or both). But however it was flavoured, there was a lot of attention given to this man. (Surely he must be a wizard?) It was with great effort that I managed to make my way through this part of the island and break free of the sort of 'delightful' phantasm generated by all these folks. ~ Cary Grant: A Biography

picture is of Map 2 - at Biography Beach is inserted a picture of Peter Joshua (Cary Grant) and Regina Lampert (Audrey Hepburn), from the movie Charade, where she is eating ice cream (and just about to turn and get the ice cream on his clothing).
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Adaleine Shuster
No broom

Post by Adaleine Shuster » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:52 pm

I've been going far and wide on the adventure of a lifetime! I have been visiting many locations on the third map. I grabbed a pool float and floeated away on the re-reading river, hiked through the wildcard woods, had a fun day on biography beach, and have been enjoying the gastronomy gardens for a bit. When I first arrived at the gardens I was sceptical, but now that I started to look around I think they're great! Granted I am reading a book by a comedian, but Sky said it just had to be about food! Now these gardens are... interesting. It would appear that the majority of the gardens have some relation with the stomach or food. I am headed to the fantasy forest next... wish me luck. I hear it is filled with fencing, torture, fighting, revenge, giants, chases, miracles, true love, escapes, and monsters. Can you guess where I'm going? (Hint: I just listed a line from it.

fencing, fighting, torture,revenge, etc. is from The Princess Bride

Blue background by Solid Backgrounds
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:37 am

More adventures to be had ...

I made my way (escaped?) from the on-going party to something which I hoped would be a place of rest. No, that hope was misplaced, as I stumbled into Divergent. Oh, this is not a pleasant place to be at all! It's interesting, yes, in the way that a very dangerous sort is interesting, but the issue of survival seems rather iffy! However, somehow I break out of that situation and find out Where the Sidewalk Ends, which is awesome and fun and light-hearted (albeit with some serious stuff in there too). Alas, though, that time of reprieve ended and next in the exploration of this island was a place where a very dangerous creature showed up - a Fer-de-Lance. While it was rather scary (the second most poisonous snake in the world?), the story itself, winding in and around this creature, was fun to read - a classic! :)

Picture is of Map 2 with different places shown. In Biography Beach is inserted a picture of Peter Joshua (Cary Grant) and Regina Lampert (Audrey Hepburn), from the movie Charade, where she is eating ice cream (and just about to turn and get the ice cream on his clothing). Science Fiction Shore shows a picture from the movie Divergent, showing a couple of people of that story. For Poetry Plain is a picture showing ... the end of a sidewalk - with a couple of kids peering out 'over' the edge of it (and a dog scrambling back ON to the sidewalk). Then, last addition, is a picture of a Fer-de-Lance snake showing up in Mystery Marsh.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:58 pm

A month later, I've had even more adventures and misadventures. First off, though, after reading all about the yummy foods in Fer-de-Lance, I read The Nero Wolfe Cookbook, and ended up with my stomach hungry and my mouth drooling. I think that I'm going to have to create some of those recipes!
To go from gastronic delights to a thriller, Angels & Demons, might have been too great a shock to the system. (Nah....) However, I leapt from one exciting book to another as I then devoured The Red Pyramid, which was an enormously fun book! I'm into what some might term ancient history, anyway, and history in general, so I greatly enjoyed the detail and accuracy of Mr. Riordan's writing. From a novel of ancient gods and 'mythology', put into modern days, I went back to World War II and read How I Became a Spy. The detail of this was good too; and it was exciting enough to keep my attention but not as shocking as Angels and Demons ....

Adding another --
I'm determined to visit all the places of this map. Reading The Grey Horse helped to restore my sense of wonder and magic (which the natural world has in abundance) -- as well as my sense of balance -- and remind me of what is important.

edit: Finally - I have completed all places on the map!
After reading The Grey Horse, I chose to continue on with the huge volume, Peonies, and finished it. Peonies. What an absolute pleasure to read about one of my favorite plants/flowers. I'm encouraged to grow the herbaceous peonies again -- I had tried before but the slugs were horrendous on the baby plants, devouring the new little shoots, and I got discouraged. But now ... time to try again. ^_^

Picture is of Map 2 with different places shown. Starting at the top right, in Biography Beach is inserted a picture of Peter Joshua (Cary Grant) and Regina Lampert (Audrey Hepburn), from the movie Charade, where she is eating ice cream (and just about to turn and get the ice cream on his clothing). Continuing roughly clockwise .... Science Fiction Shore shows a picture from the movie Divergent, showing a couple of people of that story. Mythology Mountain shows the Kane siblings, Carter and Sadie. A brief jog up shows a table laden with plates of delicious looking food (Gastronomy Gardens). Angling downwards again, is the word Illuminati, written so it looks the same forwards and backwards (an ambigram) for Thriller Territory. Then is a picture of a Fer-de-Lance snake showing up in Mystery Marsh. For Poetry Plain is a picture showing ... the end of a sidewalk - with a couple of kids peering out 'over' the edge of it (and a dog scrambling back ON to the sidewalk). At the top right of the map is a picture of a running boy, for Historical Fiction Hill. Then comes a picture of a grey horse (a púca) -- for Fairy Tale Field. Going down from the picture of the grey horse and zooming to close to the center of the island, I put a picture of an Anna Marie Tree Peony (from my own garden) for Wildcard Woods.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ta da - entire island covered - Tarma

Return to “Book Club”