What's Your Sanctuary?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

What's Your Sanctuary?

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

A few weeks ago, I was talking about band rehearsal with some friends. I'm a flute player, and I play in a local community band. I thought about how much I hate to miss rehearsals, and couldn't quite articulate why. Then someone said 'maybe that's your sanctuary'. Then it made sense to me.

The definition of a sanctuary is a place of refuge or safety. When I go to rehearsal, I'm with other people who are also passionate about making music. I'm responsible for nothing but making an inanimate object sing and being aware of the emotion in the room as I'm doing so. If you've ever experienced goosebumps as you absorb a really powerful chord in a song, you might know what I'm talking about. I don't have to think about work stress, or home stress, or anything else. I can just be where I am and let the rest of the world be for a while. There's no feeling quite like that.

So, my question to you is...what's your sanctuary? (Please remember to keep responses HOL appropriate.)
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Re: What's Your Sanctuary?

Post by Mia Fountain »

My sanctuary outside of my home would be the dojo I practice at. It is a place where I can be with others that like to practice martial arts. I have known some of the people there for over 14 years and they have become a second family. I enjoy teaching the other students what I can. It is a place I can unwind and relieve stress and where I can try to forget about problems outside of doing my best while practicing.
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

My sanctuary is probably my shared art studio. I love being able to be around like minded fun people, bounce around ideas, collaborate, inspire and be inspired. It really motivates me and drives my artistic practise. I can be free with my ideas without feeling judged, only pushed in potential! :)
Aura Nightmoon
No broom

Post by Aura Nightmoon »

It would probably be my bedroom after my little sisters are in bed. I have a projector light that makes the room look as if it's immersed in stars. I also have fairy lights above my bed that are calming. All I need is that and my favorite online game or a book that takes me to a distant, fantastical land, and everything is okay.

I also like going to the library to volunteer. It's another happy place of mine.

Return to “Discussions”