How do you go about assignments?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Septima Lestrange
No broom

How do you go about assignments?

Post by Septima Lestrange »

I've loaded up my very first term with five classes, and I was wondering, how does everyone go about tackling classes? Do you try to do all the assignments for one class then move on to the next?? Do you do your first from each then cycle to the second?? Do you have certain days that are designated for certain classes? I've only been a student here for a little over a week and am still finding my rhythm, and thought it would be nice to hear from you all how you manage your schedules!
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: How do you go about assignments?

Post by February Fortescue »

That's a really good question! This term, I have 2 classes which have assignments due every month, so I do my best to have those assignments completed and submitted the first week of the month. 3 of my classes have everything due at the end of the term, so I'll select one at a time and focus in until I have it completed, and then move on to the next. Those 3 classes should be completed and turned in by mid-November.

Doing it this way gives me time to focus on other things, and I won't feel rushed at the end of the term. It works for me.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Septima Lestrange
No broom

I love that! So far I actually did all of my HOL 101 before even signing up for any other classes (oops!)
I’m now about half way through 2 other classes, have just barely started on one, and have really only looked at the syllabus for the last one admittedly. All mine are just one term classes and have all assignments due at the end of the term but they vary from 5 assignments for the whole class up to like I think 10 is my fullest class plus a final exam!
February Fortescue wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:26 pm That's a really good question! This term, I have 2 classes which have assignments due every month, so I do my best to have those assignments completed and submitted the first week of the month. 3 of my classes have everything due at the end of the term, so I'll select one at a time and focus in until I have it completed, and then move on to the next. Those 3 classes should be completed and turned in by mid-November.

Doing it this way gives me time to focus on other things, and I won't feel rushed at the end of the term. It works for me.
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

I do it quite similarly to February though I try to do all the ones that have monthly deadlines ahead of time also.
I try to make sure that I have a mix of harder and easier classes and I try to get the harder ones done sooner than others.
If they have end of the year deadlines I tend to get them done one class at a time like February.
I also keep a document with a grid with all my classes listed as well as the newspapers and a box for each homework (or issue for the papers) and I put a cross in the box when I've completed a piece of homework so I always know what I've done.
Septima Lestrange
No broom

Ooo that’s a really good idea Gail! I think I’ll need to start a spreadsheet as well I’ve been thinking of the best way to stay organized and keep track of my progress
Eliza Barnes
No broom

Post by Eliza Barnes »

I like to do my assignments by lesson, so I start with Lesson 1 in each of my classes and I don't move onto Lesson 2 until each lesson one for each class is complete. It helps tp keep my focus on my classwork because I stay interested in each topic instead of droning on in a class. With homework, I do each homework in an email and i leave those emails in my drafts until all the lesson 1 or 2s are done. I send them when they're all complete. It helps to keep me organized so that I always know what lesson I'm on with each class. I hope this helps! Oh yeah and I also take notes on paper. It's very helpful to keep the info in my head.
Carl Vocivus
No broom

Post by Carl Vocivus »

I loaded myself up with 5 classes. I just started so I’m still figuring it out. So far, I have been doing the first lesson for every class, just to get a feel for each. Once I finish each first lesson, I may focus on one class with due dates at the ends of the month, then once that is done, I’ll do one lesson for each of the classes. It’ll keep me focused and interested and help me not fall behind.
Avery Hill
No broom

Post by Avery Hill »

That's an interesting question. I am taking 5 classes as well this term, and I usually try to do all the assignments that are due that month within the month. I don't have a specific order that I do the classes in, but I try to finish all the assignment that month. If I completed before half of the month is over, I would challenge myself and try to finish as much as I can, so I can have more time doing later assignments.
Caius Magnusson
No broom

Post by Caius Magnusson »

I'm a bit... headstrong when it comes to tasks. Relentless, even. Many people say that I have no chill, and I usually agree with them.

It's no surprise, then, that I tend to tackle assignments in this way. I lock my sights on a specific task, sit down until I have it all written, and then dispatch it as quickly as I can.

Personally, if I don't have a pressing deadline, I like to start with the tasks I enjoy the least. This seems to renew my spirits with each piece of work I finish, as I get closer and closer to what I actually want to write about. However, my rules have to be a bit flexibilised when deadlines get closer; I'm much more likely to write for a class with monthly deadlines first, and only proceed to a class with end-of-term deadlines when I feel like I'm out of the woods.
Sallix Pegasus
No broom

Post by Sallix Pegasus »

I have utilized the Muggle technologies and software that are available. Microsoft OneNote has been very useful, as I can organize the notebooks digitally by class and homework. I also write things down in my neat Ravenclaw blue notebook I found when shopping for supplies. I take lesson notes in it and then I will work on the homework using those notes. I work on Lesson One for each class and then go to the next lesson once I've finished all of the previous lessons.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

It's my second term here on HOL, and I am much more organized with my homework than I was last term! It was my first time here, so I was still figuring everything out, and where to store what, so now, starting my second term, I feel like I have a good hang of the organizational aspect.

Each class has their own folder, and each common room forum has their own folder, as well. I like to keep my projects separated by house to keep track of all the house activities going on.

I like to work on all classes at once, meaning I don't finish one class, then move onto the next. I work on whichever class I feel like working on that day. (I usually finish the art projects first! lol!)

I have also just recently created a portfolio to showcase all of the visual projects that I have worked on here on HOL, whether it be coloring pages, collages, avatars, signatures, etc. I don't think I was ever this organized in high school! :lol:
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

Like Evie, I also like to work on all my classes at once. I will open a tab for each first lesson of every class and a separate tab for the questions and another separate tab for the answer sheet. This way I keep track of what I have done and what still needs to be done. If a class has a monthly due date then that gets prioritized and I try to do each class assignment and lesson number within the same month.

If I get stuck on one class I would decide if I want to completely finish class from lesson 1 to exam or continue on as mentioned. I also like the feeling of completion so the satisfaction of completely finishing a class and closing all the tabs are also wonderful.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

I take a very relaxed and easy approach with assignments. I believe that different tasks are entertaining at different times. For example, creative writing is an amazing treat in the afternoon after the day's work, bedtime reading of the lessons can be great at night while simultaneously solving questions that require direct recall such as "Fill in the Blanks" and "True or False", and solving puzzles, especially jigsaws, can be an amazing side-activity while sipping morning coffee. More complex puzzles like letter tiles, fallen letters, mazes, logic puzzles, sudoku, and math puzzles can be solved on evenings that are free with no other work to do. This makes doing assignments both entertaining and easy and it doesn't feel like a chore.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.

Return to “Discussions”