Tell us about your pets

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Tell us about your pets

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

Who on HOL loves animals and has pets? Tell us about them, how many do you have? What are they like?

I love animals. We have 17 pets if you include the fish.
There are 10 fish, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 gerbils. My 2 cats are Cally, she is 11 years old and Hunter, he is 7 years old. Cally is a calico. She likes people, but doesn't like other animals, especially stray animals coming into her yard. One time, she attacked her own reflection in the backdoor window. Hunter is a brown tabby cat and loves everyone, even the dogs. He loves to hunt. He catches mice, squirrels, and birds then usually leaves them where we can see them.

I love hanging out with my dogs or even watching them. My 3 dogs are Sophie, 6 years old, Chance, 5 years old, and Starlight (Star) just turned 4. Sophie is a Shih Tzu and doesn't like most people. It takes her a while to trust other people. Sophie is Stars mom and she loves to kiss her. She is very possessive of her toys, treats, and food. Her favorite toys are bean bags. About 2 years ago, we were playing bean bag toss and Sophie would run and catch the bean bags after we would throw them. They are now her bean bags.
Chance is a Shih Tzu, but we think he might have some poodle in him because his fur is curly and more woolly, he is a really friendly dog. He's Stars dad. He's really active and likes to play. He always has a toy with him. He also likes to bark at other people and animals and loves to chase things. When he isn't doing all that, he's either eating or cuddling with someone.
Starlight is a bit like both of them mixed together. She has Sophie calmness, but has Chances friendliness. Star would rather play with people or with Sophie or Chance than with toys.

My 2 gerbils are 2 years old and they are Sandy and Sparky. I like to watch them. Sparky is an escape artist, he got out of his cage a couple times, but I always get him back.
Astor Arensin
No broom

Re: Tell us about your pets

Post by Astor Arensin »

Ah I also have a Sophie! She's a 12 year old Havanese, she's a sweetie. But she will only sit with you if you constantly are petting her.
I also have a 12 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix named Zack, who I've had since I was 6. He's really attached to me, so much so that he has separation anxiety :(
The rest of my pets currently live with my mom and sister in another state (because we have no space, and my dad is allergic to cats). There's Echo, the 6 year old Alaskan Malamute. Amos, the 16 year old (wow! we always thought he was like 2 years younger..) German Shepherd/Collie mix. My sister told me that he's losing weight and seems happier! He also seems to love the cats and having them around :)
Then there's the cats. My cats are a pair of 10 year old bonded brothers, Prince and Teddy. Prince is a grey tabby and Teddy is black with a white patch on his chest. They're both quite shy, but Prince also likely has anxiety, he's doing better though! Next is my sister's cats, Ander and Nea. They're twin black cats, that she got almost 2 years ago. They were an impulse adoption that was partly my fault (oops..)
Lora Wallabenger
No broom

Post by Lora Wallabenger »

I have a Dog named Fao. She's really cute and adorable. I got her from one of my friends as a gift and I love her so much. Fao loves to chew on shoes and to play with her rubber ball. I have to tell you this, that dog is so clever. She knows and understand the feelings of each and everyone. Sometimes when I am down, Fao really knows how to cheer me up doing silly things like running around in circles around me or licking me until I laugh and push her aside gently. We just can't live without each other.
And I got a kitten today who's really fluffy and white. We named her Coco. She's really playful and likes to sleep a lot.
Last edited by Lora Wallabenger on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorainia Riverrider
Oakshaft 79

Post by Lorainia Riverrider »

I have several pets. I have 3 dogs, 2 Chihuahuas a boy and a girl, and a mini German shepherd that's a boy. I also have several chickens, a donkey, and a goat. I have a pond full of goldfish, but I am not sure if they count as pets.
Thank you Ivey for my siggy and avatar!

Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much. -Helen Keller
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

I have several animals living with my family and I. There is three dogs and two cats. All of the animals are female except one dog. The male is the Rottweiler. There is a Shih Tzu and a Pug mix. The cats are both Tabbys.
Tia Ksawer
No broom

Post by Tia Ksawer »

I have a super neurotic dog named Stella and three cats. Well, one of my cats is my Grandma's cat. The other two cats belong to my Mom more. Mom wants the dog to attach to me, but the dog has bonded to my Mom. :lol: Cool by me, though. Stella has a tendency to snap at me in the later hours of the day, too. That's why I call her neurotic. But it's ok. I still love her. She's still a good animal.
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

I've had many pets throughout the years - bunnies, chickens, fish, and a Peking duck. The first pet we had (other than goldfish) was a chicken we found while on vacation. He'd been abandoned so we picked him up, brought him home with us, and named him Chickenhawk which might sound like a weird name but when we found him we couldn't figure out whether he was a baby chicken or a baby hawk and thus the creative name :lol:

Shortly thereafter (perhaps on that same vacation), we bought a white rabbit we named Snowy. She and Chickenhawk got along great and were always hanging out together.

Later on, after those two sadly passed away, we started raising chickens and built a chicken coop in the backyard. We've had so many chickens through the years I can't name them all XD I liked having chickens and we got a ton of eggs from them, but they did have a habit of tearing up the yard. We also decided to get another bunny (named Smoky) sometime around then but he wasn't very friendly and we had to give him away to someone else.

Then, a few years ago, my younger brother got in a serious accident and my mom, wanting to do anything that'll make him feel better, got him the duck he'd been wanting for a while. It was a white Peking duck (creatively named Ducky) and I can assure you that raising a duck is nothing like chickens. He didn't get along with the other animals very well so we eventually gave him to a park nearby that was looking for ducks for their lake.

Throughout all this, my dad was raising Tilapia in the backyard cause he'd always been interested in Aquaculture (having been a Scubadiving teacher in highschool/college and then minoring in Aquaculture). So, we had a ton of fish tanks in the backyard up till the last two years when he finally took them out :lol:

Finally, after having had all these exotic animals, we decided to take a break and thus got a cockatiel! Now, we only have a Cockatiel named Coconut (we all call him Coco along with a bunch of other nicknames) and I can assure you a bird is about the easiest pet you can have. He's adorable and super friendly ^_^
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Adaleine Shuster

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I have 6 pets. Four of them are cats, and two of them are dogs.

One of my dogs is super energetic, loves to play, and wants attention all the time. The other dog is much more calm. She also wants your attention, though.

I have one cat that used to really hate me, but she tolerates me now. I have another cat who is the definition of a scaredy cat. He runs away if you come near him, and he doesn't like to meet new people. If you just sit and let him come to you, he is super cuddly and loves to play! One of my cats loves attention, but is really mean to new people. My final cat is super cuddly and loveable.
Doris Creevey
No broom

Post by Doris Creevey »

I seriously love that this is a topic on here! It seems that everyone has a lot of interesting pets! I have one dog that I received from a guide dog school in California, and her name is Tweed. Tweed is a yellow lab who just turned 2 in October. She is such a sweet dog that loves food, licking anyone and everyone, playing outside, and cuddles.
Not only is she an amazing dog, but I am legally blind so she is also a big help. She helps me around obstacles, and lets me know where steps and doors are and also does so much more. I can’t imagine what things would be like without her in my life :wub:
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

I have two pets, one cat and one dog.

The cat Kaila is 10 years old and she is quiet and calmed although since we got the dog she's being less at home and more outside.
Our dog was found almost dead as a puppy in January, he is a Fox Terrier of short hair and he is just 5 months old, his name is Eren - from the anime Shingeki no Kyojin ("Attack on Titan") - and he has been a handful but we love him.

All of my life we've only had cats so having a dog is a new adventure.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Akina Wall
No broom

Post by Akina Wall »

We have a dog and 2 cats at home at the moment. They are probably the most spoiled creatures to live. The dog is a little rascal, a mix between a French bulldog and another mixed breed. His name is Shakespeare but we call him Šeki for short. Our two cats' names are Wagner, after the composer and Sissi, after an Austrian princess (she definitely is a little furry princess). We all love them so much and are considered a part of the family :)
Aidan Verto
No broom

Post by Aidan Verto »

I only have a couple of pets but love animals. I currently share a home with 2 dogs, Taco and Brandy. Taco is a seven year old Pomeranian chihuahua mix. He's tan and has the most beautiful smile, but gets pretty anxious around new people. He loves being really warm and cuddling up in pillows, beds and washing baskets. He only likes cat toys and cat beds :)

Brandy is a american staffy cross terrier who we adopted at the grand old age of 9, shes still going 4 years later, even though she is missing a back leg and has been diagnosed with bone cancer. We dont think she really has bone cancer, she seems so happy. She was missing the back leg when we got her. She loves balls, chasing things, eating everything and cuddles on the couch :)
Phoenix Wiel
No broom

Post by Phoenix Wiel »

My family and i recently adopted a mixed dog and he is the cutest thing ever!
he got very attached to us and developed separation anxiety< which kinda sucks but its ok we'll figure it out.
but he's a very sweet dog and his name is olliver and i love him ^_^
Leora Everglade
No broom

Post by Leora Everglade »

I only have two pets at home! I have my dog Debby who is a schnauzer and then I have my cat Casey and I'm not actually sure what breed she is. We bought Debby from a breeder but Casey, however, was adopted which is why we aren't sure what her breed is. Both of them we got 12 years ago and they are getting so old! Debby absolutely loves food and because of this, she is very overweight. She loves going on walks but can't go for too long because she is so fat. My cat, Casey, is so moody. I don't know how to explain it but she just is. But sometimes she will lay on me and I can actually pat her. I find it so weird that pets have personalities. Anyway I love both of them and hope to get another pet soon! :D
Alexa Winters
No broom

Post by Alexa Winters »

I currently only have three cats, but hope to have more in the future! More or less my dream is to have a farm pretty much lol

First is Milo, whose a 9 year old black cat. He's also nicknamed Butt because he can be a jerk sometimes and it's a nicer than other nicknames I've had for him. Mainly, he gets upset if he doesn't get attention or have his way, so he's pretty much a big, furry toddler. When he is in a good mood though, he's extremely cuddly and just wants to be held/lay on you.
Next is Momma, whose 7, and her daughter Bubbles, whose 6. I actually didn't adopt them together, I had first adopted Momma and about a month later the place we adopted her from called saying that her daughter was available now and if we were interested. So, obviously we had to take her too. The only similarity between them is that they're both gray and literally that's it lol. Even the texture of their fur is different, Momma has very sleek fur while Bubbles has scruffy/fluffy fur (which is why we nicknamed her Fluff). Momma is typically quiet and gentle, unless food is involved while Bubbles doesn't really care about food. Bubbles loves to play and explore while Momma loves to sleep ( sometimes cuddle) and sunbathe.
Septima Lestrange
No broom

Post by Septima Lestrange »

Oooo I have one cat his name is Bashie and he is just the greatest. He’s the most well mannered cat I’ve ever seen, he never scratches or bites. He is so kind and cuddly. His baby sister is my roommates cat, Cthulhu, and she’s actually a little monster but I do love her all the same. I used to have bunnies and I hope to have them again in the future, as well as lizards and a big dog to accompany me on hikes.
Bonnie Paterson
No broom

Post by Bonnie Paterson »

I have two kitties and 3 fish. As you can imagine, my cats spend literally all day sitting on the aquarium stand, just looking at the fish. :lol: My cats' names are Frida and Andrea.
Rosie Kim
No broom

Post by Rosie Kim »

I love my pets as much as I love my family. I have 2 dogs and they are both shih tzus. One is male and the other is female, which is currently pregnant. I'm so excited for she finally gives birth and I get to take care of more dogs.
Moxie Hallow
No broom

Post by Moxie Hallow »

My pets are miso my cat, we found her in the bushes near my house when she was 5 weeks old and we nursed her back to health ^^ i have Lexi the family dog, she’s 4 now and we got her first out of our four legged friends ^^
Then we have the newest addition to the family - my service dog !! I’ve got autism and PoTS among other things and having my service dog has improved my quality of life so so much! She’s only been with me fir 3 months but I couldn’t imagine life without her <33
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I have three cats. None of them I got the "traditional" way, meaning buying them or getting them from a shelter. They just happened to be around the house (or in the youngest's case, in the city) and they adopted me. They are, from oldest to youngest, Demon (black "tabby"), Crowley (black "solid") and Angel (white and fluffy). Not their real names, mind you, but what I call them in my head, it fits. :lol:

Demon is the queen of the group. She dislikes or is indifferent to anyone but me. Her favorite place is the kitchen, where she is partial to sweet baked goods (yeah, not sure what that is about either).

The middle child is Crowley, who is the complete opposite. She starts purring as soon as you get near her and is very loud. She likes to be cuddled, carried in hands, loves kids, the whole shebang. I suspect she is a Labrador in a cat's body. Crowley loves being around me, especially when I am grading or doing HOL stuff.

Youngest is Angel, who is only a few weeks old. She loves the bookshelf and can often be found lounging behind books. Her second favorite place is under my hair, and was very devastated when I cut them from nearly over the middle of my back to just below my shoulders.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “Discussions”