Crafting

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Crafting

Post by Gail Allen »

I love creating things; back in the day it used to be bead-embroidery and drawing, now I'm doing cross stitch, knitting and needle-binding much more.
I've knitted a scarf, which is probably the most impressive thing I've knitted and I've made hats and gloves with needle-binding and I am trying to make socks at the moment.

And that made me wonder, what things do my fellow HOLers like to make? Both what kind of craft, but also what things have you made with that craft? I am very curious to hear about it!
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Re: Crafting

Post by Shadow Gaunt »

I love making calligraphy and lettering cards. I got into that this summer and I have been working on my skills ever since. It's very satisfying and calming and I definitely suggest peeps try it.

Does anyone else love to calligraphy?
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Joey Stark »

I so wish I could do calligraphy Shadow! My handwriting by itself is awful enough but my partner's sister is an amazing calligraphist, I think it can look amazing! I've never seen kits though to be fair, maybe I could have a go.

Gail - I love crochet, my friends all crochet and what they make is amazing. My biggest issue is...I can't do it at all! I am the same with knitting, I would love to try embroidery though but I feel that if I cant do the rest maybe I'm just not the crafty type :lol: I have heard socks are one of the hardest things to make!
Adaleine Shuster

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I live to craft! Not that I’m very good at it.
Is anybody good at dollhouse design, mini models, general crafts, or good with popsicle sticks? I am looking to make a project with Hogwarts castle involved. If you are interested in helping me(please!) just send me an HOL message(Adaleine Shuster).
Thank you so much,
Adaleine Shuster
Hannah Goodwill
No broom

Post by Hannah Goodwill »

I used to absolutely love building stuff from wood! I would create little angle figures and sell them on markets or give them to people as gifts. (Sometimes I would even buy functional stuff, like shelves with my dad)
Right now I'm more into art though. I mostly do fanart, but I've been trying to think of something original. I've been wanting to make a comic for ages.
Hazel Honeysett
No broom

Post by Hazel Honeysett »

I love to make just about anything. I'm an artist by trade, but that's mostly boring graphics. I really like making traditional art (ink and painting), but I have now really gotten into loom knitting. I also have made wands and staffs out of branches, lots of bead work projects, some work with clay figures, and i really love making garden art. I don't generally have one focus, my home looks a bit like a crafts store exploded. So I just gather up items that I have laying around and make things out of them. I'm currently working on some glass tree ornaments.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

I used to craft so many things as a child.. I took up sewing, and my brother and I would sew little clothes for our beanie babies! :lol: Sewing by hand is very calming and therapeutic.. it's also very satisfying to hold up your creation and marvel at the details and all the hard work put into it!
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

I love crafting. There isn't anything I will not be able to do or figure out and make. I have been crafting since a child, from, paper, wood, beads, metals, jewelry, you name it. I love to make things with my hands and ended up studying Fashion Design because of it. I also Made everything for my wedding. From the dress designs, to the men's belts, the flowers and table décor. I designed the menu's, baked all the desserts. We had hand made burgers that my husband and I made ourselves from scratch. I designed my own ring, made the bridesmaids their own calligraphy wooden hangers.
I also love to craft and make things as gifts.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Viviana Kingston
No broom

Post by Viviana Kingston »

Hehe, I like working with my hands to create things. I’ve picked up a lot of hobbies that way - journalling, scrapbooking, beading, card making, calligraphy, knitting, crocheting, drawing, painting!
Crocheting is the one hobby I keep running back to no matter how long I don’t pick up the needle and drawing I usually do in the spur of the moment. Card making I keep especially for holidays and birthdays and scrapbook journalling is almost a daily thing!
- Viviana Kingston
Carpe Librum
Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
signature created by Katherine Laurier
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

I am not much into crafting because I would rather read and read all day, or perhaps even write poetry or solve puzzles, rather than draw, paint, or create something. I am also messy and not good or patient enough to draw fine strokes or mix paint in perfect proportions. In other words, I am more left-brained than right-brained. But, if cooking was a craft, I could say that I love cooking. Cooking is definitely an art, though. It involves perfect proportions, perfect steps, and perfect timings, combined with organisation and patience among skills. However, cooking is an art that I like and hence I am able to do it patiently. I would say that the reason for my love for cooking would be my love for food. I love experimenting with different tastes and flavors and exploring various cuisines, therefore, I am very fond of cooking. After all, if I can't cook, I can't eat. On the rare occasion that I do sit down to craft something, I usually choose origami. That's the form of craft I truly enjoy most because I can create amazing things from just a few pieces of paper folded in different shapes. In my opinion, it also requires less patience than other forms of craft. I follow video tutorials for crafting things by origami.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Dibyarup James Potter
Oakshaft 79

Post by Dibyarup James Potter »

I made myself a cine-real Hogwarts Acceptance Letter, with the envelope and fonts similar to the handwritten text in the movie. I also paint glass bottles every now and then, so that when I put strings of LED lights inside it, the bottle radiates beautiful colours and patterns.
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror

Return to “Discussions”