Tattoos

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Tattoos

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

It is always fun and interesting to see someone's tattoos and hear the stories behind them. My first ever tat is on my back right shoulder blade; it is the word "Lucky" in my husband's handwriting (from the first card he ever gave me while we were dating) surrounded by a big star for each of my sisters (8, including step, half, and in-law) and a bunch of little stars for my friends.

This past friday I got a new tattoo on my fore-arm to celebrate my upcoming 30th birthday! I really wanted an HP related one, so I've spent the better part of this past year figuring out what I want. It is a thestral coming out of a wand surrounded by little stars, and it is all done in a dark green ink (SLYTHERIN REPRESENT). I chose this because i love Thestrals and it is also my patronus! It's very funny to see the look on Muggles' faces when I try to explain what a thestral is to them!

Do you have any tattoos? Are they HP or other fandom themed? Do they have any meaning, or are they just something you like?

If you don't have any, do you want them? Is there something stopping you from getting one?
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Re: Tattoos

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I don't have any tattoos - I'm an absolute wimp about pain and have never had something I've thought of that I'd like permanently attached to my skin forever. That's not to say I have anything against others who have tattoos - I've seen some really elaborate and meaningful pieces of art.

I think the coolest tattoo I've seen lately is now a part of my coworker's identify. He has a favorite drawing from one of his kids when the kid was in pre-school or kindergarten, and he got that drawing tattoo'ed on his calf, complete with the writing of the little one's name on the paper. It looks SO much like the original drawing; I'm so impressed with the tattoo artist's work. So yes, I can appreciate them (a lot) but no, I don't want one personally.
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

Kendra Givens wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 pm I think the coolest tattoo I've seen lately is now a part of my coworker's identify. He has a favorite drawing from one of his kids when the kid was in pre-school or kindergarten, and he got that drawing tattoo'ed on his calf, complete with the writing of the little one's name on the paper. It looks SO much like the original drawing; I'm so impressed with the tattoo artist's work.
That is so awesome! I've already planned to have at least one tattoo for my daughter, since I have one with my husband's handwriting. But she's only 18mo so most of her "writing" is just scribbles right now haha
Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Joey Stark »

Great topic!

For the last 2-3 years, I've been working with a local tattoo artist (who does thick lined blackwork that I love) on a Harry Potter leg 'sleeve'. The idea was to get one tattoo to represent each book and I finally have 6/7.

Book 1: Hogwarts
Book 2: Tom Riddle's diary and basilisk fang
Book 3: Dementor
Book 5: The prophecy
Book 6: Felix Felicis
Book 7: Snape's doe patronus

I have one long gap left on my shin where we are planning to put a merperson from the 2nd task (my favourite) for book 4.

I also have a music related tattoo, a tattoo relating to my origins in Irish and I did have a Tolkien related tattoo but it was from when i was young and the quality was very poor so one of my others covers it up. My first tattoo was the sign of the deathly hallows which I still have on a thigh, it's not great quality but it's my first and I love it. The biggest thing I learnt in the last 8 years of getting tattoo's is research your artist. Look at portfolios, look at online review, scour their instagram, find pictures of healed tattoos too. Find someone whose style you love and is willing to collaborate with you!
Hannah Goodwill
No broom

Post by Hannah Goodwill »

I don't have any tattoos yet, as I'm too young, and I also want to be 100% sure about what to get, and I don't have a concrete enough idea yet, and I also don't just want to copy someone else's tattoo because... you just don't do that, at least in my opinion.
I want to wait and see until I'm a more... fully-fledged person. Right now I'd want it to be something either Harry Potter related (yours sounds really cool) or something space-related, like maybe a little tattoo of our solar system or something like that. I want it to be something I can be proud of.
I just hope it won't hurt... too much because I'm kind of a wimp lol.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I have a tattoo. It was December 31st, 1999, and my cousin had always dreamed of getting one. I never wanted one, but some how she talked me into it, especially considering the special date. ETC.

I chose one that looked like a bracelet. It's a green vine, with a purple Pansy in the center in a purple rosebud on each end. Green and purple are my favorite colors. I love flowers. This was just so beautiful!

The process was very painful! And the artist had almost finished the outline when my cousin walked over to me. She had chickened out! Oh, was I angry! I had it completed, though. And I love it! I need to get it redone because the ink has faded.

My cousin currently has eight tattoos. I might get one more.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Polaris Black »

I don't have a tattoo and although I truly admire them from afar, I don't think I will ever get one. I guess the permanence doesn't appeal to me - I don't even have pierced ears!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Annie Hastings
No broom

Post by Annie Hastings »

I have one tattoo so far. It is a treble clef for music, on my wrist. I love listening to music, and I danced for a long time so music is a huge part of my life. I already have a Harry Potter themed tattoo planned. I want to get the dark mark on my left forearm. Harry Potter has been something that has helped me through some hard times and I did not want to get a basic death;y hallows symbol. I am also a Slytherin, and have always been more interested in the villains of stories than the heros.
Aura Springs
No broom

Post by Aura Springs »

i dont have a tattoo (yet) but i am planning to have one or two in the future. Right now i want a phoenix tattoo on my shoulder which symbolized rebirth and transformation for me which something i find a special personal meaning in.

I am planning to get my phoenix tattoo when its spring or summer so everyone can see, because on winter my clothes would hide it.

I also would like a small word or words that is inspiring
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I have two tattoos. I was raised in a pretty religious/conservative household, so the first one I got in secret while the other I got early this summer. First one is of a bird, with a sentence and two dates. Second is a large black cat that stretches around and above said bird.

I am interested in getting a third tattoo, one that would probably be Harry Potter related (the artist that made my cat tattoo loves Harry Potter) and/or Assassin's Creed related. Maybe even a mix of the two. But I need to think on the design, where would I have it and such.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

I currently have nine tattoos in totally but my aim is to be covered. I’d say my goal is to look like Ryan Gosling in The Place Beyond the Pines lol.

My tattoos are lots of line work and are scattered quite randomly. I currently only have one Harry Potter tattoo. It is of a mandrake! Of course, me being a plant nerd that I am I had to honour one of my favourite parts of the series. As I plan to continue getting them I do plan to get more HP themed ones. Perhaps another creature or two?
Cleena Lokisdottir
No broom

Post by Cleena Lokisdottir »

i have 8 tattoos, i have two that are fandom related, one is a glaceon from pokemon that i got done with a friend that has a pikachu, and the other is an anti possion mark from supernatural with the words family dont end in blood.
Luna Lemongrass
No broom

Post by Luna Lemongrass »

Hi :)
I have quite a lot of tattoos one being Hogwarts with Hedwig in the moon but my biggest one is a tribute to my dad, who is still with us but it is to show how he is the wise old owl of the family who looks after everyone else. So i have an owl on my thigh and the whole of my leg is a forest theme with all the other animals on the lower leg including hedgehogs, deer, a fox, a squirrel, rabbits and lots and flowers. The flowers have meaning too though :) They are my birth flower along with my husband, my son and my step-daughter and step-sons birth flowers. Still needs finishing but will be a full leg sleeve when completed.
Sheila Bagnold
No broom

Post by Sheila Bagnold »

I personally am a super wimp to pain, so I would like die inside if I got a tattoo. But, I do like pen tattoos, wher you just draw it with a ballpoint pen. Then there's also how it's permanent and all, and I'm horrible with choices like that. But if there was a way to get it done with no pain and you could just make it disappear any time, while it stays permanent the rest of the time, I would be the first to sign up.
“Anything’s possible if you have enough nerve,” - Ginny Weasley
Jodie Smith
No broom

Post by Jodie Smith »

I've got a pretty old tattoo, that I got as soon as I turned 18. It's a Taurus constellation on my back, with all the "bigger" stars in different colors that represent my family members. It's pretty minimalistic as opposed to some in this thread, but I still love it. :wub:
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Got this “Pon and Zi” tattoo about a decade ago. I have two others, but this one’s my favorite. Featuring one of the characters from these comics holding the stem of a dandelion puff as its seeds blow away into the wind. For me it represents the bittersweetness of non-attachment. The ideas of holding onto things without grasping too tightly, and reaching for things without striving too forcefully. Allowing space to honor our wishes while still being curious about “what is?”

Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
River Fenwick
No broom

Post by River Fenwick »

I currently have 2 tattoos, one under my collarbone and one on my ribs. My parents would only sign for 1 tattoo while I was underage, so I chose the collar bone tattoo at 16 and got the rib tattoo as soon as I turned 18.

My collar bone tattoo is a date in Roman numerals in honor of someone who has passed. My sister has a matching one, so it doubles the meaning to me. Unfortunately, I for whatever reason flinched when they started, so the first numeral is a little wider than the rest, but that just makes it a little more unique. My rib tattoo is of a Sakura flower for a musician that means the world to me, so I wanted to keep a reminder of them close to my heart (quite literally).

I might get more, though I'm really not sure about what to get. I've dabbled with the idea of a spine or thigh tattoo, but I've never been set on what tattoo I'd want.
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

I do not have any tattoos myself. The main reason is that I know how often my taste changes and so I cannot imagine getting a tattoo and then changing my mind after a while and regretting having the said thing on my hand.

Additionally, getting a tattoo is not a very pleasant experience.
Marcus Darkwood
No broom

Post by Marcus Darkwood »

Harry Walles wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:12 pm I do not have any tattoos myself. The main reason is that I know how often my taste changes and so I cannot imagine getting a tattoo and then changing my mind after a while and regretting having the said thing on my hand.
Wow, you are exactly like me. This is THE reason I don't have any tattoos yet.

Some part of me really wants one, though. I want a sword tattoo on my forearm, because swords symbolise so many of the things that have always mattered to me in my life. It connects to my interests in fantasy and gaming, and it also symbolises being a fighter, daring to stand up for oneself and for what matters. Carrying that on my body would be a beautiful reminder, I think.

...but of course it has to be exactly the right sword design, and I haven't found it yet. So I'm still tattoo-less for now.
Marcus Darkwood ~ Hufflepuff ~ Third Year
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

I do not have any tattoos yet. But I would love to have a few in the near future. Maybe not too many, because I would prefer to keep it minimalistic. I would love to ink my zodiac sign and the first letter of my name and two stars on my wrist and somewhere around my anatomical snuffbox, just to indicate that I am a Taurus. I am deeply interested in astrology and I would love to have such a tattoo.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.

Return to “Discussions”