Moving Advice

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Moving Advice

Post by Gail Allen »

I will be moving to a new house very soon and with preparing to do so I've noticed there are a lot of unexpected things I need to remember to pack and a lot of things I need to do. And people always like giving advice which I very much appreciate because they have done this before and I only have once.

Most of us experience moving homes at some point in our lives and that made me think: what advice would you guys give someone like me? Or what would you yourselves like advice on if you had to move soon?

One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten so far is to make sure to cook in advance and freeze the meal so that when we get there we will have something to eat that only requires us to plug in the microwave and heat the food.
Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Re: Moving Advice

Post by Joey Stark »

I've moved 13 times, including internationally and my biggest things are:

1. Lists!! Make packing lists, things to do on moving day lists, lists for each room, lists of soothing things to do when the stress of moving makes you want to cry....
2. If you find it hard to pack, put on a podcast/background TV show or music, turn it into something other than a chore
3. If you have a lot of stuff, use moving as an opportunity to get rid of things you don't need anymore. It will help declutter in the long run and also mean you have less to pack and move
4. Label each box with the room the things inside should go in at your new place. Then place them in the proper places when you arrive and unpack room by room.
5. When you arrive, unpack as soon as you can, or you'll still have boxes months later that you 'haven't got around to' (over two years in and there are still boxes in one room I'm trying to ignore...)
6. Try and not to pack things like your toothbrush and car keys in the bottom of one of many boxes that you then can't access on moving day...take a backpack for that stuff. This sounds obvious...but I'm unfortunately speaking from experience :rolleyes:

Good luck with moving!

Return to “Discussions”