Where do you find your Energy?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Where do you find your Energy?

Post by Gail Allen »

Summer is over and school is starting up again both here at HOL and in RL. And for those who no longer go to school in RL, many would have had a holiday over the summer, but have to return to work.

And somehow we all manage. But it makes me wonder where other people find their energy for dealing with the times where we might prefer watching a movie over writing our essays, or sleeping in sounds much better than going to class or work, or really anything else in life.
What recharges you and makes you find the energy and motivation to keep working at the things that are hard?

Personally for me it's for one a great enjoyment of learning that keeps me going for tasks that are in one way or the other related to that area of life. That's both when I do duolingo, write essays for class, or write a complicated piece of HTML code.
For other things, dancing is one of the things that keeps me energized and motivated to work at things that are hard, because it gives me a break where I can think of something else.
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Where do you find your Energy?

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

Meditation and yoga are my go to relaxation techniques when I need to re-energize after a long week or even a tiring day. I spend a lot of mental energy every day just trying to keep myself appearing normal that most of the time when I get home, not only am I wide awake because my mind is on super alert but I have no motivation to do hardly anything. There are days where I'll lie in bed and stare at the ceiling, losing track of time, but when I come to, I feel myself again. I guess that's some sort of meditation of letting myself switch out for a little bit for a nice break. In my head, I always go to a quiet room where I can look out the window at fields of flowers with a little bit of a rainy drizzle coming down but still sunshine poking through the clouds.

That being said, reading can also help energize me again, and then other times, it only makes me more exhausted because of the brain energy I put into reading, as much as I do love it. Some days are easier than others.

As far as research, when it has to do with infectious diseases, I am obsessed to a fault with such things and sometimes I'll read articles about current studies rather than doing research on my own, but something always clicks later on. Taking a step back and viewing it as a bystander wanting to know more instead of as a scientific researcher really helps in the motivation department.

Then there are movies and TV shows. I'm still working on the Marvel universe, and I just finished Captain America: Civil War a couple months ago. I'll catch up eventually.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

I find my energy by listening to music and talking with my friend. I am also on Duolingo! Maybe we can befriend each other. :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

I have a couple different ways I find energy to do hard work. I find my energy in taking a break to play a video game or hang out with my dogs, both relax me, that or listening to really encouraging songs. That works with things like really hard puzzles on HOL or hard real life homework. But essays, I find are especially hard for me. So Essays that are over so many words, I will do a bit at a time so I don't feel overwhelmed or tired from it.
Lora Wallabenger
No broom

Post by Lora Wallabenger »

I find my energy in different ways. Mostly when I am comfortable around the people I know and sometimes when I am alone. Also, reading a book gives me a lot of energy for the day because when I read the book I am in it, seeing what's going around and sometimes I feel like I am a character in that book playing the part. Plus, exercise, yoga and music too help me to get energy.

Return to “Discussions”