Savories instead of dessert after the main course? Yay or nay?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Savories instead of dessert after the main course? Yay or nay?

Post by Hiya Debnath »

After a full and hearty main course, the next course is usually dessert, which is supposedly something sweet. But, oftentimes, I have felt the urge to ditch dessert and wind down with something savory instead, say onion rings, french fries, crispy nachos, popcorn, fried chicken nuggets, etc. Clearly, that could be a symptom of binge eating disorder, fast-food cravings due to depression, or a lack of carbs in my meal. However, once in a while, it is okay to ditch the sugar and flour in your dessert and replace it with the starch in potatoes or the cornmeal coating in fried chicken nuggets, if you enjoy it. Both ways, you are consuming more carbs and fat, though one is clearly healthier than the other. Just call it a guilty pleasure, I guess. So, how many of you agree with me?
Do you like to have a savoury snack instead of a dessert after your main course meal? Or am I the only weird one here? What do you say? Feel free to share your reasons.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Re: Savories instead of dessert after the main course? Yay or nay?

Post by Adeline Morior »

I have absolutely no problem with a savory snack after a meal but I do tend to just call that "continuing to eat". Dessert is lovely sweet if you had plenty of savory or salt in the meal but snacking afterwards on savory is really just for me personally an excuse to continue my breakies, lunch and dinner... :ph34r:

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

Adeline Morior wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:39 am I have absolutely no problem with a savory snack after a meal but I do tend to just call that "continuing to eat". Dessert is lovely sweet if you had plenty of savory or salt in the meal but snacking afterwards on savory is really just for me personally an excuse to continue my breakies, lunch and dinner... :ph34r:
❤❤
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

I'd have to agree with Adeline, if I am to eat something savory after my meal, I would just call that a continuation of the meal lol! I am one to eat my dessert BEFORE my dinner, however. As long as I can remember, I have had my dessert first, then finish off with my savory dinner. I know people usually say they need something sweet to finish off their meal, but I am quite literally the opposite, when I am hungry, I crave the sweets first, then crave something salty to finish it off :lol:
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

Evie Figg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 pm I'd have to agree with Adeline, if I am to eat something savory after my meal, I would just call that a continuation of the meal lol! I am one to eat my dessert BEFORE my dinner, however. As long as I can remember, I have had my dessert first, then finish off with my savory dinner. I know people usually say they need something sweet to finish off their meal, but I am quite literally the opposite, when I am hungry, I crave the sweets first, then crave something salty to finish it off :lol:

Your reply makes a lot of sense. : D
Dibyarup James Potter
Oakshaft 79

Post by Dibyarup James Potter »

I am not a big fan of sweets, yes, I do enjoy a small amount of desserts from time to time, but my go-to options are always something savoury. After the main course, I would surely enjoy a small savoury snack like a couple of fried chicken wings, so yes, you are not the only one. :P
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

Dibyarup James Potter wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:34 pm I am not a big fan of sweets, yes, I do enjoy a small amount of desserts from time to time, but my go-to options are always something savoury. After the main course, I would surely enjoy a small savoury snack like a couple of fried chicken wings, so yes, you are not the only one. :P
💛❤❤
Janne Halla
Oakshaft 79

Post by Janne Halla »

I'm going to go with 'nay', here. As many said previously, that's just another part of the main course for me. I can't imagine the whole thing being savoury and then 'finishing' it with something savoury too.

Granted, I don't always eat dessert as a finisher, but it's nice to eat something sweet to round up the hearty savoury meal before. I do always drink coffee or some sort of digestif if I'm at a restaurant and not driving. Not a big mug of coffee with milk, but a small espresso. Supposedly, drinking coffee right after a meal 'will likely stimulate and enhance digestion'.
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

Janne Halla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:48 pm I'm going to go with 'nay', here. As many said previously, that's just another part of the main course for me. I can't imagine the whole thing being savoury and then 'finishing' it with something savoury too.

Granted, I don't always eat dessert as a finisher, but it's nice to eat something sweet to round up the hearty savoury meal before. I do always drink coffee or some sort of digestif if I'm at a restaurant and not driving. Not a big mug of coffee with milk, but a small espresso. Supposedly, drinking coffee right after a meal 'will likely stimulate and enhance digestion'.
I like that coffee aiding digestion part.

Return to “Discussions”