Beautiful Buildings

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Beautiful Buildings

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

I stayed with a friend for a couple of days this week and we decided to tour an 18th century country house that was about 20 minutes away from where she lived. It was absolutely beautiful and staggeringly big. There was a ballroom with a dome 62 feet high, a room lined in marble collumns (I'm not even sure what they did in there) and a bedroom that could have fit the entire ground floor of my house. It sounds silly but I'd just not thought that grandure on that scale existed outside of castles and palaces or whatever.

Have you ever visited any buildings (historical or not) that left you feeling amazed?
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Re: Beautiful Buildings

Post by Gail Allen »

I did as a matter of fact visit a couple such places. One was a townhouse in my birthtown which had been kept exactly as it had been when the last occupant died - a very old lady from the aristocracy who had no heirs so she left her money to be spent keeping this house in order and viewable by the public. It was fascinating to see what a house from that time looked like.

The second is a place where a duchess lives which I would say is somewhere between a mansion and a castle. She gives tours there and has annual christmas markets as well. And there is a beautiful baroque garden (the whole place is in the baroque style) and she rents certain parts out as a wedding venue which is when I first saw it at a friend's wedding.

The last honourable mention is an english estate where the house was also very awesome; it had paintings that made it look like there were marble colums because they tricked the eye. The thing I remember most vividly though is that this was the place I first found out that there is such a thing as a 'Haha'. It's a specific man made feature of landscaping involving a ditch that is hidden from view from certain vantagepoints... the things you learn.

Return to “Discussions”