Snitch Play

Ask questions about HOL
Please check the FAQ first
Tom Foster
Oakshaft 79

Post by Tom Foster » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:00 pm

I was looking at the rules of snitchplay in the handbook and it says that at the beginning, both seekers recieve a openning clue to the puzzle, and both seekers will attempt to locate all five main clues, does the 5 main clues include the openning clue? And how does the grid go, does it just get sent to the 2 players personally? Sorry i'm asking so many questions, i just want to ready myself and know what to expect at my first seekers tournament match in a hour.
Last edited by Tom Foster on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megaera Selwyn
No broom

Post by Megaera Selwyn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Hey Tom! :D

In the beginning, you receive a logic puzzle you need to solve. The 5 main clues are hidden in squares throughout the grid, and you find them by either stumbling upon them, or by answering trivia questions and being given the location to the next clue.

As for the grid, you need to have one before the match starts.
Meg | me891
"School, nuthouse, what’s the difference when you get right down to it? Dumb rules and bad food in both places.â€￾ ~ Marco, Animorphs
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Hey, Tom,

To expand on what Meg said, when snitch play starts, everyone in the channel sees the puzzle introduction, which explains what you're trying to solve. Depending on how the puzzle is written, there might be a clue here. Then, the seekers move around the board and try to find the clue squares. Typically, there are five of these, but this isn't always the case.

The grid is a 13x13 grid, from location 0,12 in the lower left to 12,0 in the upper right. At each turn, the channel is told where the seeker is at, so you can always know where each seeker is.

The only things that are private communications between the seeker and the ref are empty squares, the actual clues themselves, and any sort of puzzle solution the seeker sends.
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Tom Foster
Oakshaft 79

Post by Tom Foster » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Ok thanks
Last edited by Tom Foster on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Prefect”