Disney Discussion #2

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Disney Discussion #2

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Remember that this option is worth 10 POINTS!

Watch the video from the website and answer the following:

I don’t know you but I always die out of frustration whenever Merryweather is about to give her gift and is interrupted by Maleficent. Due to that, Merryweather had to change her original gift to counterattack Maleficent’s curse. Haven’t you been curious about that last gift? Now it is your chance to speculate! Please answer:

What do you think Merryweather’s original gift for Princess Aurora was supposed to be?

There is no right or wrong answer, just please explain your reasoning and thoughts. At least 100 words for full marks. Please post your answer in the correct thread in our Class Forum.
Bellatrix Bryce
No broom

Re: Disney Discussion #2

Post by Bellatrix Bryce »

I think Merryweather’s original gift for Princess Aurora would have been the gift of happiness. This is because Flora gave her the gift of beauty which as a princess is important as they are always looked up to and talked about, therefore with this gift, Aurora’s life would be easier as it is one less thing for her to worry about. Furthermore, Fauna gave her the gift of song which would make Aurora’s life more melodic. These gifts also contribute to one's happiness, so it is only fair to deduce that Merryweather would have given the gift of happiness to complete the trio and ensure the princess’ life is always a positive one.
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

Well, let's look at Merryweather's personality a bit. She's a bit more feisty than her two fellow fairies, and she seems pretty quick to argue. She's also the first to want to grab the wands on Aurora's 16th birthday. She also took out one of Maleficient's goons before he could warn her of their coming.

However, she did have the foresight to change her wish to soften the blow of the curse, and she specifically changed it to sleep until Aurora's true love gave her a kiss. Which is a very romantic gift. So she's a touch more practical but also very much romantic. I can't remember if the engagement of Phillip and Aurora had already happened, but I think her gift would be connected to that. I think she would have given her the gift of true love, both so that she could have a fairy tale romance, but also a little extra insurance that the engagement and future royal wedding would have less difficulties. In fact, I think it was on her mind and that's why she made it part of the clause to break the curse.
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

I think the last gift would have been something related to nature. Merryweather would have known about Aurora's good and caring heart and so may have wanted to increase it through the use of magic. My best guess is that she may have been able to talk to animals. Another possibility perhaps would have been the ability to heal plants, and so to make flowers bloom. This is probably why she changed her last gift as soon as she found out about the curse. These two gifts, although wonderful, they would not help Aurora much to survive the awful curse.
Janne Halla
Oakshaft 79

Post by Janne Halla »

I think that Merryweather's gift was dance or maybe more broadly, grace. The gifts seemed to follow a certain theme, you have beauty, and song and dance seem to be the natural third choice. They could be anything, even something useful, but they go along more with what a princess should be known for or commended for.

Similarly, grace is often associated with elegance, beauty, and charm. In a fairy tale context, granting Aurora the gift of grace could symbolize a life filled with poise, kindness, and a gentle demeanor.

These two gifts seem to align with the traditional characteristics that fairy godmothers give princesses in many fairy tales.

Return to “Disney Studies”