Disney Discussion #3

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Disney Discussion #3

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Remember that this option is worth 10 POINTS!

Watch the video from the website and answer the following:

Analyze Frollo’s character and answer the following:

What do you think of Frollo’s “double nature”? In a way, he seems to care about Quasimodo: he has lunch with him and tries to protect him from out there. But his actions also reveal something else, something that is not right. Why is that? Or do you think that his care for Quasimodo is just fake?

There is no right or wrong answer, just please explain your reasoning and thoughts. At least 100 words for full marks. Please post your answer in the correct thread in our Class Forum.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Re: Disney Discussion #3

Post by Emily Spencer »

Frollo’s words, at first, seem kind, but his tone and mannerisms negate them. There is nothing kind or loving about what he is saying; the words themselves are degrading, humiliating, and meant to harm Quasimodo, not help him. He almost seems gleeful as he sees the excitement Quasimodo had about the fair turn into self-doubt and self-hatred. That particular scene actually makes me sad; it is bullying of the worst kind. It is done in the guise of ‘love’, so you feel guilty if you dare get angry or question their opinion. By his actions and response, one could gather that this was not the first time Quasimodo has heard these words from Frollo’s lips.

Do I think Frollo actually loved Quasimodo? That is a resounding NO. He is not treating Quasimodo as a beloved foster son or even a ward, he is treating him like a servant; and a lowly servant at that. Quasimodo scurries to do Frollo’s bidding, even as the man is telling him how worthless and ugly he is. Shameful! No, if Frollo has any use at all for Quasimodo, it is for the sake of having an on-call servant who will blindly follow him and do what he is told. At least, that is my opinion.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

Frollo, like many of the others, is unable to see past Quasimodo's outward appearance and treats him the way I suspect many people do, or would. I don't seem him as having a dual nature - most people are drawn to the beautiful and flee from the ugly, whether it's the the person's physical deformity from what is considered lovely, or a disagreeable personality feature. Part of it is fear because we're afraid we'll "catch it" and also blaming the person for the flaw and therefore thinking or wishing they could do something to "correct it" even if they cannot. Frollo may see Quasimodo and an extra mouth to feed and resent him on some level, because he'll probably never marry or bring in good income. But, at the same time, he does provide him with a home. No - this isn't a good way to treat someone - it's horrible!! But it's also human nature for many people.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

I think honestly, the biggest thing that fuels Frollo caring for Quasimodo is a mix of guilt and self righteousness. A large part of the character is driven to be seen as a righteous man, and yet he acts on much darker urges. We see this in the scene "Hellfire" where he blames Esmeralda for the fact that he's lusting after her.

I think it's the same with Quasimodo. His mother was begging for sanctuary and Frollo caused her death. How? By snatching the bundle in her arms, which happened to be Quasimodo, not stolen goods. Frollo was stuck. By most people standards, including the religion he claimed to profess, he had to do right by this child, and so did the basic minimum. He took him into the church, gave him shelter and food, and made him a servant. But it was never love. It was manipulation and a little bit of guilt, that's all.

Return to “Disney Studies”