Getting Back Up Again

Discuss Football, Tennis, Bowling, Rugby, Cricket...

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Getting Back Up Again

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I was watching the US Women's Gymnastics Olympic Trials last night, and everyone was VERY shocked when our wonderful Simone Biles fell off of the balance beam. She did it quite gracefully and didn't sustain any big injuries, but she was clearly very upset with herself. There were a lot of tears shed, but she rallied back and had a really good floor routine after that.

Do you have a story about a time when you were upset at yourself for a seemingly dumb mistake while competing, but then you pulled it together and carried on? Please share with us here!

Tags:
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Getting Back Up Again

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

My last Snitch match was against Arianna Stonewater in the closing moments of 2019. The match was at a slightly different time than scheduled, and I was facing a different opponent too. But even though I typed the word "READY" to signify I was there, I still was looking at other stuff and waiting for the clock to strike four before switching to game mode.

The minutes ticked down, and although my clock said there were still twenty seconds to go before the appointed time, the playfield was already flashing red. I looked at my view, double checked where I was, and checked the field... only to find that the match had already started and I had lost the first question of the match!

For trivia-focused Snitch players (which I had evolved into over the years), losing early questions can be really unnerving. But I remembered what I was there to do, flew to the pitch, and quickly made my next move. I got the next question right, and the one after that, and the one after that... and recovered to catch the Snitch when all was said and done.

Return to “Sports Talk”