Anime Fans

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Prefects

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Anime Fans

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I recently started watching some anime while I was studying and because I needed a break for my mind. I watched a show quite some time ago called Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which I really loved. More recently, I watched Fruits Basket. I'm not as up to date on a lot of the anime out there, so I was curious. Do any of you watch anime? Do you have some favorite anime that you would recommend for a newcomer to watch? Because I watch it while doing other things, I only watch dubs, but I suppose that's a completely other discussion starter as I know some people swear by subbed anime only and others don't really care.

Thoughts? Awesome shows I should know about? Post below!
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Pavel Lagrange
No broom

Re: Anime Fans

Post by Pavel Lagrange »

I LOVE anime!

To start with I'd go with One Punch Man, definitely my favourite and it's sooo funny. Plus only 12 or so episodes so easy to get through it all. Other than that Attack on Titan is amazing, and with such a great story where you literally never have any idea what's going to happen next.
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

I was introduced to anime in high school and I became an addict.

I watch shows that end up being long series lol. My favorite anime of ALL time is INUYASHA! I am in love. I also love Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, Dragonball Z, and Ranma 1/2. For short animes, I love Hellsing and I My Me Strawberry Eggs.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

I also started watching more anime during high school and I've definitely accumulated a few favorites, though I still haven't watched many of the classics which I plan on rectifying soon.

Angel Beats! takes place in the afterlife and it was pretty interesting though somewhat rushed towards the end of its 13 episodes. Silver Spoon is by the the same mangaka who did Fullmetal Alchemist, and the characters are all just as lovable. It takes place in a completely different setting though and focuses on a guy who decides to go to an agricultural high school. There are two seasons of it, and I definitely think it gets better as it goes on. Noragami is about a minor god trying to get people to worship him, so has supernatural elements, and the relationships of the main characters are wonderful. There's also a second season entitled Noragami Aragoto. Your Lie in April is a real tearjerker but it's told really well and the characters are great. It focuses on a piano player regaining the strength to play again after avoiding it for two years. Soul Eater is about people who can change their bodies into weapons and the main characters all attend school to improve their skills. It was one of the first anime I ever watched so I have some fond memories. Most of these are available on Netflix and all of them are on Crunchyroll.

Lastly, I'm going to be one of those people who recommends something they haven't finished yet, but March Comes in Like a Lion is honestly so good. The plot is fairly standard; the main character is a professional shogi player who lives on his own at the age of 17 and would be a loner if not for this family of three sisters who give him a place to call home. The music and art is absolutely beautiful and I can't help but love all of the characters. It also has two seasons out so far, but I haven't finished the second.
Daisy Lafferty
No broom

Post by Daisy Lafferty »

Those are pretty good my favoite is Naruto. I also really love SAO and Fairytail.
Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Post by Kathren Johnsun »

While I watched some anime when I was really young (Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh), I didn't start watching actual anime until I was a senior in high school. Of course the anime that I restarted with was an 18+ anime (Hetalia). Since then, I have also watched Fruits Basket (old version) and Soul Eater as well as started watching (but not finished) Danganronpa 3, Squid Girl, Sgt. Frog and the new Fruits Basket that is currently being released. I will admit that I could not get into Fairy Tail so I only watched the first two episodes.

By the way, the characters that have appeared so far in the new Fruits Basket are so cute and I can't wait to see Kisa and Momiji.
Emerald Nightshade
No broom

Post by Emerald Nightshade »

I recently started watching anime at the beginning of the year. Right now I’m currently watching Death Note, Your Lie in April (I’m still stuck on episode 2), My Hero Academia, and The Seven Deadly Sins. I would recommend them all, but I only watch with subtitles and sometimes watch it dubbed. Does anyone else have anime that they would recommend?
*Signature made by Kendra Givens for Secret Elf
*Winter Fling 2020 Signature
Velvetina Belle
No broom

Post by Velvetina Belle »

Depending on what you're into these are my recommendations:

Ouran Highschool Host Club - cute and funny school life anime with some touching moments.
Bleach - a normal boy gets a soul reapers powers, choas!
Original Full Metal Alchemist (2003) - a classic!
Saiyuki - an older anime but a classic. Retelling of the story Journey to the West. Demons vs humans.
Code Geass - Britain took over the world, one man in Japan wants to reverse that. DRAMA
Isa Vestal
No broom

Post by Isa Vestal »

A few people have already mentioned most of my favorites but just to throw them out there again, My Hero Academia is fun, with great characters and world-building. It’s definitely my favorite anime with Death Note as a close second.

Haikyuu!! , Free! , and Yuri on Ice are all really good (and pretty staple) sports anime and I’d say Haikyuu!! is probably the best among them.

If you’re into more of a horror or suspense genre, I’d recommend the Promised Neverland. It’s scary and sent chills up my spine when I watched it. It has a serious but very creative storyline that you can’t help but get hooked to. Erased is also similar but slightly less compelling of a narrative.

I don’t watch much romance anime but, out of what I have watched, Ouran High School Host Club, Shape of Voice (movie), and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (movie) are up there in my favorites.

If you’re looking for fantasy anime, Fairy Tale, Soul Eater, and Kill la Kill are up there and they’re all classics (though, be warned, like many other fantasy anime, they tend to be slightly inappropriate at times). A newer fantasy anime would be Noragami, which is really well animated but doesn’t have the best protagonist (though the side characters are really good). Black Butler would also be up there and kind of overlaps into the horror/suspense genre though it’s not as scary.

Pigfarts, Pigfarts, here I come!
Pigfarts, Pigfarts, yum yum yum!
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I never was much the one for Anime, much preferring Western Animation, but sometimes, I really only have attention span for 20-ish minute episodes and Anime fits that very well.

First one I ever tried, and my favorite, was Yuri!!! on Ice. I immediately binged and episodes and was miffed when I watched them all. I hoped that there will be new season continuation soon, but the creators decided on a prequel, which finally got a teaser trailer in November 2020.

Thanks to Netflix, I also watched or started watching Hercules (from the same creators that made Castlevania), Marvel X-Men, Marvel Wolverine, My Hero Academia, Death Note and Sword Art Online.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

I didn't know that Yuri!!! on Ice was getting a prequel, thanks for sharing that Maxim!

Though I've been an anime fan for a while, I haven't watched too many of the classics. I find that some of them have been going so long that the sheer number of episodes kind of intimidates me, haha. Lately my boyfriend and I have been watching Cowboy Bebop together and I'm loving it. While I can't say I understand everything that's going on with the plot yet, I enjoy the characters and their dynamics with each other and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Return to “TV Talk”