Outlander

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Outlander

Post by Gail Allen »

I am amazed that no one has made a thread about this show yet.
I've recently finished watching it and I was completely blown away. Not only is the story beautifully composed, it's also one of the most believable time-travel scenarios I've seen. It makes it seem true. And it also manages to put a lot of information and a lot of 'happening' into each episode without it feeling crammed or rushed. I feel that's a real skill on the part of the director. I also heard that it stayed pretty close to the source material, which I like. I am going to read the books now and it really made me interested in Scotland and their history. Very good show.
I also found that I like the villain even. I mean, I hated him to bits of course, but I loved it when he was there, because he was never dull or predictable.

Has anyone else watched it? (surely there must be many XD )
Did you like it? What did you like best/least?
Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Re: Outlander

Post by Prof. Limine Snidget »

I've watched every single episode at least 3 times and I'm almost done with the fourth book. The first season followed the first book extremely well. I can only count on one hand the number of larger differences that I remember and I completely understand why they were done to make it work for television. The changes were well done and I'm not upset about them at all. I feel like the second season deviated from the book a lot more than the first season did, but I was still extremely happy with it. So much dialogue from the books has made it into the show, which makes me SO incredibly happy!

Jamie Fraser / Sam Heughan is <3 I started a Jamie Fraser Appreciation Club in Ravenclaw and love to post gifs of him from the show to my friends all the time!
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Re: Outlander

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

After several recommendations from Gail, I got to watch the first season while I was away a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was excellently cast and absolutely loved the musical score: it suited the landscape so well!

I did struggle slightly with the pacing but I think that was because I binge watched it which is unusual for me, so one episode kind of blurred into the next. I'd be very interested to read the books, particularly as Limine says the TV show is relatively faithful. Now I just need to go away again to get a chance to watch season two on Netflix.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “TV Talk”