Opinion of spin-off tv shows?

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Prefects

Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

Opinion of spin-off tv shows?

Post by Ariella McManus »

What is your opinion of spin-offs? Do you find them as good as the original show? Better? Worse? What are some of your favourite (or least favourite) spin-offs?

For myself, I love the original NCIS, but I would have to say that NCIS New Orleans probably outranks it now. Of course, I think that the NCIS/CSI franchises have been some of the most successful in modern television history, so I may be a bit biased.
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Re: Opinion of spin-off tv shows?

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I just adore NCIS:New Orleans. I also love the original, but can't stand Los Angeles. I have no idea why, but I really can't watch LA spin-off, though I hear only good things about it. It was similar with me and CSI. I liked the original until they started to 'force' Sidle/Grissom romance and loved Miami, but can't watch New York or Cyber.

Another spin-off that I just love is Boston Legal. I think it was done right in all ways, but you have to know what you watch. It's courtroom drama yes, but with a healthy dose of comedy that people sometimes don't get. It also has two of my favorite TV/Movie actors, Spader and Shatner :D

I loved Torchwood until Children of Earth (which I think was executed a bit poorly, at least the last/last two episodes), but curiously, I don't like Doctor Who.

The last spin-off that I really enjoy were the earlier seasons of Law&Order: Special Victims Unit and all seasons of L&O: Criminal Intent where they had Goren/Eames as main detectives. I also surprisingly enjoyed UK version, it had something special that American spin-offs didn't have.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Fumei Spookie
Silver Arrow

Post by Fumei Spookie »

I always try the spin-off of series, but most of the time I don't really like them. I love NCIS (although lately I think it's getting to an end. I'm losing the feeling for the show Y__Y) But I never really liked LA or New Orleans. I think I watched LA's first season, tried it's second one but failed. And with New Orleans I tried the first few episodes and didn't like it.

Just like Maxim said, Boston Legal is one of the few spin-off that is done right. Just like Torchwood (except for the last season; Children of Earth ¬¬) and yes I do love Doctor Who xP Btw I also think that The Sarah Janes Adventures were also a good spin-off from the Doctor Who series.

I didn't like the spin-off from Once Upon a Time; OUAT: Wonderland. I found this serie lacking something. I just couldn't get into the characters.

I had the same with the spin-off from Criminal Minds. Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, with this series I also couldn't get into the character and just found the whole series lacking something. I'm kind of curious to the next spin-off named Beyond Borders. Wondering if this will also be a fluke just like Suspect Behaviour or maybe it won't
Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Post by Austin Ollivander Black »

I think spin-offs are hit or miss take Angel it was a great spin-off of Buffy and then their are the not so great like Fuller House I could hardly make it through the first episode it was so terrible.
Image RQT 2017/18
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

I am usually not a fan of spin-off shows. The only show I can think of that I liked that was a spin-off would be Frasier. Other than that, I could take them or leave them.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:

Return to “TV Talk”