Naming Characters

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Naming Characters

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

When playing video games, do any of you have names that you typically use for your character(s)?

I generally draw on some of my favourite books or series for inspiration. The last game I played where I got to name my character was Skyrim, and I borrowed Celaena from Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass books.

Please note: any names mentioned must be g-rated.

Tags:
Tristan Genoe
No broom

Re: Naming Characters

Post by Tristan Genoe »

I don't put too much thought in my character's names. I usually leave the one that is the default one, but if I need to name them, like in Skyrim, then I usually borrow the names from other fandoms. If I choose to roll an elf mage, my names often come from Lord of the Rings with -iel or -an/-en ends. Something like that.
Emily Spencer
Cleansweep Three

Post by Emily Spencer »

My character names are usually variations on favorite TV shows/movies/books (rather like my HOL name taken directly from two characters from Criminal Minds). If I'm playing a particular race (elf, dwarf, etc), I tend to use a name generator for a race-specific name.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Most of the time I use some form of the name William as a first name, but with other names added as appropriate. There was one game where you chose which type of wizard you were and the game began with a personality quiz which would suggest a type of wizard for you. After making a few wizards, I wanted to try a PvP strategy with an Ice wizard, but the Ice personality was nothing like me. So I decided to make my Ice wizard look as far from me as possible, which included flipping gender as well (and giving her purple eyes). None of the allowed names for a female wizard began with a "W" though so I went as late in the alphabet as possible... which is why my Ice wizard for that game is named Victoria StormBane!
Acedia Lycoris
No broom

Post by Acedia Lycoris »

I usually got really confused when giving a name to my character in a game. But, I often use Ahru, Ahruna. Ahruna means Haruna, in Japan it's mean spring! ^ ^ or if not, I use Yoonivere. Yoon is similar to Yeon, it's means flower. And Ivere comes from a Mobile Legends's character name, Guinevere.
Abelio Fleurrine
No broom

Post by Abelio Fleurrine »

I usually use Eugene as my character's name. There is no specific reason why I use this name, I just randomly searched for a unique name on the internet. In French, Eugene means "noble", "well-born."
Omen Nightingale
No broom

Post by Omen Nightingale »

I usually try to come up with unique names from things that I'm currently reading/watching/whatever game I'm currently playing, and mash them all together. Sometimes I find a name I just can't let go of and use it in some way in most of my characters names
Sueno Raun
No broom

Post by Sueno Raun »

I usually try to have some sort of symbolism when it comes to naming my characters. For instance, Raun is meant to be a mixture of my grandfather's first names. Sueno, meaning Dream which I tend to do all the time ! :D
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

It depends, but I typically use a name generator to come up with names. But even with that, I seldom take a name and just paste it. I'll usually take the last name from one and the first name from another choice. And usually I'll adjust the spelling to something that's easy for me to remember. But I also seldom treat my characters as an extension of myself.

Now, when something is meant to be an extension of me, then I'll actually pick the name. Like my name on here is a mash-up of two of the actors that played a couple on Doctor Who. I've also been known to be a bit punny with my names when I was younger. I had a necromancer in a game that I named Mina Drakul and gave her a wolf pet....yes I had just read Dracula a month prior, whatever gave that away?!
Clementine Silas
No broom

Post by Clementine Silas »

If I'm playing a game, such as Skyrim, I typically pick a name relevant to the backstory I came up with for my character or their race. For example, I have a dark elf character named Cruciatus (based on the spell) because she was abandoned as a child and seen as absolute torture to take care of by her adoptive parents.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

Since my real name starts with the letter E, I typically use names that also start with E, as I've done with my character here on HOL. My character's name is Evangeline Moonstone in Hogwarts Legacy. In Animal Crossing, I have characters named Echo and Emerald. I do love gemstone names and I'm hoping to use the name Amethyst for my next character, as it also happens to be my birthstone.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

I always use my gamer tag for all games with the exclusion of the HP games as I will always be Adeline on all Hp games and platforms. Story of my game tag is, it is a characteristic of me someone once described me, in my home language. It stuck and have been using it ever since. It is unique so it will instantly be recognized by friends. :ph34r:

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Day Nailee
No broom

Post by Day Nailee »

Depending on the game if it is RP, I tend to use my gamer Identity Day Nailee. I am not sure where I got the name exactly but I think it was a mixture of a current artist I was obsessed with and a game I was playing at the time. I made the name up more than 10 years ago and it stuck with me. Every character or identity I create is either named Day or Nailee. I actually love it. I love coming up with background ideas of how the character should behave and play throughout the game. I tend to go for the good guy playthrough then if I want to go the evil way a second time through, especially with Baulders gate 3. Skyrim is a very dense game that I don't think I could ever finish my first run.
Wydrin Strum Galvade
No broom

Post by Wydrin Strum Galvade »

When it comes to naming my characters, it usually depends on the game. Like Legend of Zelda, I keep the name Link because its natural. But for more Fantasy games like Skyrim, I go for more fantasy names, especially from Random name generator and I pick what fits my mood. Like my last character was Amarisk, and the name I use for DnD is Zephyr.

Return to “Games Talk”