Naming Characters

Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Naming Characters

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 am

When playing video games, do any of you have names that you typically use for your character(s)?

I generally draw on some of my favourite books or series for inspiration. The last game I played where I got to name my character was Skyrim, and I borrowed Celaena from Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass books.

Please note: any names mentioned must be g-rated.

Tags:
Tristan Genoe
No broom

Re: Naming Characters

Post by Tristan Genoe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 am

I don't put too much thought in my character's names. I usually leave the one that is the default one, but if I need to name them, like in Skyrim, then I usually borrow the names from other fandoms. If I choose to roll an elf mage, my names often come from Lord of the Rings with -iel or -an/-en ends. Something like that.
Emily Spencer
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emily Spencer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:10 pm

My character names are usually variations on favorite TV shows/movies/books (rather like my HOL name taken directly from two characters from Criminal Minds). If I'm playing a particular race (elf, dwarf, etc), I tend to use a name generator for a race-specific name.
"Image
Will Lestrange
Comet 140

Post by Will Lestrange » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:26 am

Most of the time I use some form of the name William as a first name, but with other names added as appropriate. There was one game where you chose which type of wizard you were and the game began with a personality quiz which would suggest a type of wizard for you. After making a few wizards, I wanted to try a PvP strategy with an Ice wizard, but the Ice personality was nothing like me. So I decided to make my Ice wizard look as far from me as possible, which included flipping gender as well (and giving her purple eyes). None of the allowed names for a female wizard began with a "W" though so I went as late in the alphabet as possible... which is why my Ice wizard for that game is named Victoria StormBane!

Return to “Games Talk”