Board games or video games

Moderator: Prefects

Lamia Brickley
Oakshaft 79

Board games or video games

Post by Lamia Brickley »

Hello everyone,
it's time for a new game discussion ;-)

Just tell us, what do you prefer: a video game or a board game or card game? Or do you don't like both? Maybe you prefer roleplaying games (pen and paper or real life ones or forums)?
Tell us a bit about your preferred games of whichever category.

For me, I really like both. Lately I play more board and card games with some friends. We play UNO, Bohnanza and Carcassonne for example. I like more strategic games as well and have played pen and paper roleplaying games.
Though I also like video games as Civilization, Anno and Sims. They are so much fun, but lately I've had no time and in my free time I preferred reading or playing board games :D
Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
Silver Arrow

Re: Board games or video games

Post by Prof. Arielle Lemoyne »

I love board games!

My favorite is probably Clue. It's short enough that you can play a couple rounds each time, and I feel it gets better each tim as well. I just love mysteries, so I'm all about Clue! Another of my favorites is Spy Alley. It's kind of similar to clue, in that it involves secrecy and strategizing. Basically, you're assigned the identity of one of six spies, and you have to make it around the board collecting that spy's items, and finally land on that spies embassy to win, all without anyone guessing which spy you are. That probably doesn't make sense haha but it's a lot of fun!

Scrabble is a family favorite, though those games get kind of intense. I believe there have been several instances of injuries resulting from overturned boards and dictionaries being throw at peoples heads >> And on one family vacation, back before smartphones were a thing, my dad played "quay," we didn't have a dictionary, everyone voted it down and made him take it off, and the next day, in the book he was reading, he found it in a sentence "we went down to the quay". It was such a big deal, that now like...10? years later I still remember this whole thing. We have fun though haha.

As for card games - I love hearts, but no one else does so I rarely get to play it ): so my other favorites are presidents, cheat, and kent/kemp/quems!
Matilde Rayne
Moontrimmer

Post by Matilde Rayne »

I'm fond of both video games and board games. I don't play card games all that much, but they can be pretty fun too.

For video games, my favorites are usually RPGs. Actually, for most of the past half of a year, what I've played for the most time has been the Dragon Age series. In the wrong order - going from Inquisition, to Origins, then to DA2 - but oh well. <<

I never really played board games all that much when I was younger (I never really had anyone to play outside of school), so when I got to college, there was a period of time where some of my friends took it upon themselves to introduce me to all of the games I'd been missing out on. So that was sort of a good experience?

I think for me, when I pull a board game out, I'm mostly looking for something simple that I can laugh about and have a good time with. So in a way, my favorites are probably things like Life or fake-Scrabble. I love actual-Scrabble too, but playing with those friends, we had a thing where if you had an "awesome enough" word, you could put it wherever you wanted on the board and that just made the game hilarious sometimes, which isn't necessarily something I usually associate with Scrabble.

But as far as more strategic games go, chess is good, and 3D chess is even better.

I've never heard of Spy Alley, Arielle, but it sounds like fun!
Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Limine Snidget »

Board games definitely and Clue is also one of my favorites! Anything that requires some logic to figure stuff out is so much fun.

I'm absolutely horrible at video games. I'm decent on some of my brother's Nintendo 64 games that I used to play with him all the time when we were younger, but I just cannot do anything with any of the new game systems and games. I tried to play one of his games the other day and I either end up walking around staring at the ground or the sky orrrrr I just turn in circles. I'm completely terrible at using the controller!

Computer games are fun though. League of Legends and Minecraft are probably the only two I've played for longer than a couple months though.
Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

Post by Ariella McManus »

I actually like both, though to be honest, I probably play more computer games than anything else these days. When I can corral the family long enough to be in one place, my favourite board games to play are Clue, Doctor Who Monopoly, or the Walking Dead strategy game. (Yes, fandoms rule in our house!) As for computer games, I've been playing Guild Wars for years, and if Sims 4 counts as a game then I'm in! I'm definitely looking forward to the release of King's Quest (I have really fond memories of the old one), and have been debating getting a gaming system as well.
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”
Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Marie Dark »

I really like playing card games.... but "Cards Against Humanity" is such a crazy hilarious game and "NO"!!, its not for kids under 17.... (but if I had this game at my reach at 15, I probably would have played it anyways ((( I was no saint))) .....
I also like trivia pursuit.... my family plays that a lot....
Board games are fun but Pictionary.... is hilarious as well.....

Playing games with friends or family or even new people you meet, can tell you a lot about one another.... and Hey???? It's only a game right??? So enjoy and have fun and create some memorable moments....
Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Post by Austin Ollivander Black »

I prefer video games but i also enjoy board games especially trivia games(such as previously mentioned Trivia Pursuit) as I am very good at them. I also like strategy games like risk and even chess.
Image RQT 2017/18
Astaria Rivers
No broom

Post by Astaria Rivers »

Board games are definitely fun, and my group of friends and I will get together to have game nights. However, we find ourselves meeting online in video games more with our weird schedules. We get together to play Dungeons and Dragons maybe once a week and sometimes card games, but D&D is always the highlight. We often have, what Blizzard calls Fireside Gatherings, where we get together at a meeting location, a cafe or bookstore, and log into a video game called Hearthstone where we play. It's similar to think Pokemon or yu-gi-oh. Overall, I would say video games take my vote, but nothing will replace a good night of Settlers of Catan or Risk. We don't play often because they're both long games, and when we do, it tends to be an all nighter.
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

I’m a fan of both boardgames and video games, but if I had to choose one, it would definitely be boardgames.

When I was younger, I much preferred playing video games, especially RPGs with an immersive world. Back then, the only boardgames I was exposed to were the likes of Cluedo, Monopoly and Risk, which I’d always be game for, but I didn’t have much of an interest in boardgames as a hobby back then.

Once I started university and later entered the working world, I didn’t have as much time for video games (except maybe over the summer), so I only seldom play them. About a year or so ago, I got introduced to modern boardgames, such as Ticket to Ride and Dominion. Since then, I’ve joined several meetups in my area, and I now play boardgames on a regular basis. I'll still play video games though when I get the chance (but it's been a while since I last played one).

Return to “Games Talk”