In Memory of Polaris Black

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Nimbus 1000

In Memory of Polaris Black

Post by Prof. Kyrie Adderholt »

It is with a heavy heart that the Head Office announces the passing of a beloved member of our community, Polaris Black. She passed away last month. Her family believes her passing was relatively quick and painless. Her family was aware of her Harry Potter “projects” and knew how involved she was and how she enjoyed them.

The Head Office has voted unanimously to award her honorary NEWTs in the subjects of Herbology, Charms, and Potions and that she will graduate this term as a reflection of her time on this site and all of the contributions she has made.

On a personal note, I am shocked and devastated by this news. This is without a doubt the hardest post I have ever had to make. Polaris was not only an incredible member of our site and the house of Ravenclaw, but a dear friend. I cherished her emails and had been eagerly awaiting her response to my latest one.

This has hit Zoki, Dario, and myself very hard and we understand that many of you will feel the same way. Should any members have any questions or just need someone to talk to, please feel free to reach out to any of us in the Head Office. We have left this topic open so that if you wish to say something in honor of Polaris, you may do so.

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Re: In Memory of Polaris Black

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

Polaris was a huge part of shaping who I am as a member of HOL. She trained me to not only be a decent Prefect, but then showed me the ropes of being a Head Prefect. I learned a lot from her and will miss our interactions. She surely made a huge impact on this community and those who were close to her. Thank you, HO, for offering her the perfect tribute.
Mae Flowers
No broom

Post by Mae Flowers »

I've taken a long hiatus from HOL due to personal reasons, but have still been keeping up with the forums. This is absolutely heartbreaking. I also enjoyed emailing with her - she was a true gem. Rest in peace. <3
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

Like others I am rocked by the news. Polaris was so kind and ready to lend a helping hand or just send messages too for fun. It is always so hard when we lose a member of our tight community.

I want to thank the Head office for the awarding of NEWTS as Polaris worked so hard on the site and really contributed so much to the community as a whole. She will be greatly missed.

picture shows wands up in memory of Polaris
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Polaris has always been such a dedicated member of our community. She's always been so sweet in any conversation I had with her and her enthusiasm was always felt. Thank you for giving her her NEWTS, they are incredibly deserved. She will be deeply missed <333
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Polaris, you were sweet, kind, gentle and endlessly enthusiastic. The halls will be so much quieter without your constant reassuring presence. You were part of the fabric of my days for so long that imagining not running into you on the Gryff forum or seeing your name on the marauders map is inconceivable to me right now.

I remember joining the Book Club staff for the first time and how special you made me feel about my ideas. Even though we were in the same year, you seemed so much more grown up and sophisticated (I was a little star struck). You were everywhere, doing every activity, helping run things, showing everyone how it's done. I'm very glad I was able to go onto work with you as an equal and friend. Our time as Head Students together was one of the highlights of my time here, as stressful as it could be. I'm so proud of what we accomplished and I'm so, so proud to have graduated alongside you in the end.

Anyone who talked to you even briefly has to have been touched by your warmth and friendliness. It's that I'll always think of whenever I'm reminded of you. HOL is an ever changing community: some people stay for a long time, others pass in and out. Even when people leave, I know I harbor a secret hope that they'll stop back one day if only just to say hi and have a look. It makes me feel empty inside to know for sure that you never will. But I know that you'll be remembered fondly by anyone who was fortunate enough to have encountered you here.

You'll always be a part of HOL.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

:-(... I wish I had words that could express how painful it is to lose a member of our illustrious Class of 2020. Polaris was always an impressive presence in the community, though I wished I had gotten to know her better. I was particularly astounded by how much of herself she was willing to give in service on behalf of all of us here - and enjoyed finally having the chance to work with her last year as a HOLLERS Assistant. I definitely miss her already!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

gif is of lilac branch, with leaves and flowers, swaying gently in light rain and soft breeze, with the light softer then brighter
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I don't know what to say. I'm speechless. She was such a kind and enthusiastic person, very supportive, and someone I'm honored to have shared these halls with.

Polaris, I'm going to miss you, lady.
raises wand
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Polaris, your friendliness, kindness and helpfulness has reached and touched so many of us here at hol and in my brief time here, I have been blessed to have been one of those people. Your commitment and dedication has had such a huge, positive impact here and far more than what you will have realised. We have all been so lucky that you chose to spend so much of your time with us and your presence here will be so very much missed.

Wherever your new journey leads you and takes you, may it be a truly magical adventure.
R.I.P Polaris, you will never be forgotten. <3
Felicia
Moontrimmer

Post by Felicia »

What a shock!

Polaris was a frequent visitor to The Sett and participated in many of our month long games. She always had a friendly reply in her pm's after giving her answers. We "chat" daily when she played. She had such a warm and outgoing presence when ever she came wandering in the Sett.

She will truly be missed by all. Our condolences to her family.
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross »

What a shock to come on and see the announcement of Polaris' passing. She was a wonderful member of this community and will be missed! Rest in peace Polaris!

Thank you to my Secret Santa 2018 for the wonderful signature and avatar!!
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

It was a huge shock to hear about Polaris. It's hard to find the right words.She trained me to be a prefect. She was always around and always so easy to talk to. I'm going to really miss her :(. Rest in Peace, Polaris.
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

These are heavy news to receive and a great blow to us all as a community and especially to those of us who knew her personally.
Polaris was one of the first people I got to know here and one of the people I looked up to so much in my first time here at HOL. And although I certainly talked her ear off at times with (sometimes very stupid) questions, she always patiently answered me and helped me grow. I will always be immensely grateful for that.
She will be missed and my thoughts and deepest sympathies go to her family and everyone who knew her.
Pezzie Wolfe
Moontrimmer

Post by Pezzie Wolfe »

Polaris will be missed greatly. Was always kind and a good to chat with. I am very sad to hear of this. *tears*
Sig Tag by Pezzie. I Love NKOTB :wub:
HOL Member since August 2003 | Here's to 20 Years at HOL!
Prof. Ryan Granger
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ryan Granger »

This is heartbreaking.

I find it fitting when she joined, she chose the name Polaris, because through her time here, she really came to be like the North Star.

She was steadfast and reliable. She provided guidance to many Ravenclaws over the years. To others, she was such a bright light in their lives. I don't know if she ever realized it, but she truly embodied the name, Polaris.

Ravenclaw and HOL will not be the same without her.

My sympathies go to her family and loved ones.
Prof. Ryan Granger | Ravenclaw Head of House | Most Likely Lost
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

It's taken me a little bit to decide what to write. There are a million things I want to say about how much I treasured our friendship, but for now this will have to do.

Polaris was the first non-Slytherin person I connected to when I first joined HOL. I loved working with her as a HOLLERS Assistant, especially on my first Summer Camp! It was such an honor to become Co-Head with her. When I last talked to her in June about the Hollers activity report she mentioned she was battling some health issues but she was finally feeling better.

Polaris was also a great teacher who brought back several classes created by others so that we could all enjoy them too, especially Magic in Famous Mysteries! She was very encouraging and understanding, and really helpful in creating my own class (Puzzles 101) as well as updating the Marauder's 101 when I took over that.

She will certainly be missed :wub: :(
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

I am shocked and saddened by the news of Polaris' passing. I offer my condolences to everyone her presence here has touched. Unfortunately, I didn't know her as well as others, but I do know she has been a valuable member of HOL and Ravenclaw for several years, and she will be sorely missed.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. Polaris was a truly special person, and I will cherish forever the conversations that we had. She always made you feel a little better, even when you were at your worst. She will be greatly missed.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Torii Taylor
No broom

Post by Torii Taylor »

This message has been a shock to all of us. In my short time here, I have seen how dedicated Polaris was to HOL and Ravenclaw. Although I haven't known her in a personal level, I can say that she was a friend to all of us and she will truly be missed. Fly high, Polaris.

Return to “The Great Hall”