Task 1: Name Badges

Moderators: Prof. Sky Alton, Prof. Kendra Givens, Arianna Stonewater, Prof. Rorey Padfoot

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Task 1: Name Badges

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Shortly after making your way into the fair, you find yourself at a table piled high with quills of every description and a rainbow of bottles of coloured ink. Someone thrusts a blank parchment badge into your hand. Everyone else seems to be writing their name on there’s and decorating it so you begin to do the same.

As you’ve probably guessed, this task is to make yourself a name badge so other students you’ve not met before can get to know you. At the least your badge should have your HOL name on it but you could also include your house and/or year (or whether you’re a postgrad or professor). You can also decorate it as much as you like with colours or doodles that represent you. Go wild!

You can physically draw your badge on paper and take a photograph (upload the picture to an image hosting website and post it below), make a graphic on the computer (and do the same) or describe it in 50 words. However you do it, feel free to include a few lines of explanation as to why you chose the colours or pictures you did.

Images posted on the HOL forum should be no more than 600 pixels by 600 pixels. However, if you make your badge under 250 pixels wide by 100 high, you can use it as your HOL signature – the image that automatically appears beneath people’s posts. The smaller images by people’s names are avatars and must be no more than 100 by 100. For instructions on how to add one, visit the Ask a Prefect FAQ.

To earn 5 house points, please post your badge as a reply to this thread by 11:59 PM HOL-time on September 30th!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Re: Task 1: Name Badges

Post by Emily Spencer »

I chose black for the background of my badge to represent the darker side of my nature (I am in Slytherin for a reason, you know!). It simply wouldn't be a Slytherin badge without a snake somewhere on it, and I chose to highlight some of the qualities that Slytherins possess, such as cunning, ambition, determination, and leadership. And since it's a name badge, I was sure to include my name/year as well.

You will note the tribute to Bellatrix Lestrange, I am sure. I've been told that we are distantly related, and despite all of her crazy shenanigans, I do have a fondness for her. So here's to you, "Auntie" Bella!!
Last edited by Emily Spencer on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Raevia Ward
No broom

Post by Raevia Ward »

Here's my badge!
Space fascinates me and blue is my favourite colour, so I thought why not. I would've made a handmade one in watercolour but I don't think I'd do a better job at making stars as I forgot to bring the white acrylic :lol: . Colour-coding the house also helps when you just wanna glance.
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Having just switched out my badge for the new year (there was some time I spent as a puzzle piece) I'll be going with the written option this time - describing the signature I am using for my final year as a student at HOL.

The image I chose was an image of me (in character) as a young adult: in character, I turned 17 - which is the Wizarding age of majority - last November. I chose dark, old-fashioned lighting as it best reflects my "ancient Pureblood family" image. The angle of the photo may be unconventional, but the shape of a human body standing up in a vertical orientation does not fit with the horizontal orientation of sigtags - and the solution I chose was a ninety degree counterclockwise rotation. The only colour you will find on the nametag is three lines forming a splash of green: my name (Will Lestrange), my year and title (7th year Slytherin), and the two positions I hold in-house (prefect and Quidditch captain).
Serenity Shaffer
No broom

Post by Serenity Shaffer »

Hey y'all, here is my name tag! I decided to do a space themed background because I'm really into space and astronomy. I also just like colors and artsy things. All I included was my name, year, and house because I'm new here and didn't really have much else to say!

Anna Westbrook
No broom

Post by Anna Westbrook »

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

Astor Arensin
No broom

Post by Astor Arensin »

My badge is my current signature! (And possibly my avatar, too).

The colors for my name are orange and yellow, as those are my favorites. In addition, they are colors associated with autumn, my favorite season. My avatar is Five Hargreeves from the Umbrella Academy, while my signature is Klaus Hargreeves, also from UA. I decided to choose those two as they are my favorite characters, and I feel they represent my personality well.
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

I made mine mostly a celebration of Hufflepuff since I've only been comfortable calling myself a puff in the last few years. So besides the House badge(r) on the side and the general coloring, I also picked two values I think I most show off in real life. But I also added in a quote from Doctor Who that exemplifies my love of stories and a tiny Tardis. But beyond the major Whovian points I've earned, it's also a little bit of blue for the little bit of Ravenclaw that I am. I guess that makes me a Huffleclaw!
Romilda Jones
No broom

Post by Romilda Jones »

Brianna Caedmon
No broom

Post by Brianna Caedmon »

I’m a terrible artist so instead I’ll go with the written description option:
My badge’s background is Slytherin green. On top of this background, in my own handwriting in silver is my name, “Brianna Caedmon”. Beneath that, also in my own handwriting is “First Year” and beneath that “Slytherin”. Surrounding this is a silver border done in a curling, almost vine-like pattern. Hanging from the top part of the border is a small, minimalistic drawing of a silver snake curled around and hanging from the vine, with green eyes the same colour as the background.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

My avatar and siggy feature a Valkyrie who is in Thor: Ragnarok and in Endgame. (She might be in other movies of the series - I've not watched all of them yet.) Horses, flying, swords ...

Graphic shows picture of a woman's face and shoulders. She is shown 'side profile' and angled to be facing off to the right. She has white stripes on her face, on her forehead and cheek. Her hair appears to be black, and it is tied back. She wears black leather tunic.

Signature
Graphic shows the same woman mounted on a flying gray horse. Her hair is not tied and flows long. She wields a sword and is looking, with fierce mien, downwards, at something. Name on graphic, written in white lettering, in lower right corner - "Tarma".

Signature showing full HOL name
Graphic shows the same woman on the same horse, but a different cropping of the original picture so that more sky and more of the horse's left wing is shown. Name shown in lower right corner, written in white, 'Tarma Amelia Black'.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Pezzie Wolfe
Moontrimmer

Post by Pezzie Wolfe »

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm so excited about this! The magic of HOL is making long time friends! So I still hope to continue to the friendships I found here and make new ones. Here is a bit about me! So much more but so little space. :lol:

Sig Tag by Pezzie. I Love NKOTB :wub:
HOL Member since August 2003 | Here's to 20 Years at HOL!
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross »

Background picture is from google (Hufflepuff house crest). Name tag says (each has its own line) Katelin Ross, Hufflepuff, Post Graduate, and HQT Spiffy.

Thank you to my Secret Santa 2018 for the wonderful signature and avatar!!
Bella Coupland
No broom

Post by Bella Coupland »

As I just created a new signature in August, I'm going to also use it as my name tag!

My name tag features a blue, slightly fuzzy/pixelated background which is actually one of the first long exposure night-sky images I took with my new camera! You can even see a few stars. The color scheme is mostly blue, to highlight my house Ravenclaw. To the left of the image is a smiling Husky, as they are my favorite breed of dog. The Husky is looking at a silvery-blue dragon with a lilac tail. The dragon is a representation of my best friend, who loves the colors blue and purple, and loves dragons! Finally, in the top left corner I wrote my name (Bella Coupland), followed by my year (5th) and my house (Ravenclaw). Then, just for artistic effect I added some small white paint splotches to the entire thing.
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

My name badge has all my information listed in a book. The book is open and on the pages is written Vanessa Tilley, Ravenclaw Prefect, Co-Head Art Department, and Third Year. I have a little chef's hat on the left side of the book and an art palette on the right side of the book. As most people know about me, I enjoy cooking and art stuff of any kind. I did try to keep to the Name Badge description so I used watercolor paper and used watercolors to paint it a parchment-ish color and then I used my dip pen and Ravenclaw blue for the ink.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:
Narcissus Delmenia
No broom

Post by Narcissus Delmenia »

i hope i did this right...

https://imgur.com/J2l9b1h
Last edited by Narcissus Delmenia on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Welcome Month”