What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Re: What Is In A Name?

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

I thought I posted in here, but guess I didn't.

My real life nickname is Lex. And since Lex Luther is my favorite villain, and Lex is usually a short version for Alexander, I chose Alexander as my first name. I knew I would get called Alex a lot which I also like.

I was going to put my last name as Bright as in smart, but thought I would add a on at the end and make it Brighton instead.
Sarah Hucklebee
No broom

Post by Sarah Hucklebee »

Honestly, my first name is Sarah, but because I don't like to give out my last name, I just made up a name.Just a random blend of words, I had just finished reading Huckleberry Finn, so I took inspiration from that.
Caleb Bane
No broom

Post by Caleb Bane »

Hello... I'm Caleb Bane. I don't really know if anyone cares, heh, but my name comes from the word "Dog" in Hebrew. I don't know why in Hebrew, I just love dogs. Bane means annoying basically, and that's what I think I am, seeing as I will never meet anyone. This is kind of unrelated and I'm kind of scared to say this because I'm afraid of getting bullied, but I'm gay and, seeing as I'm short, focus too much on my studies here and in real life, and I'm totally a tsundere, I don't think I'll ever find someone because I think I'm annoying. Thank you.
Wysteria Grimmhilde
No broom

Post by Wysteria Grimmhilde »

My chosen name is Wysteria Grimmhilde. Personally, wisteria makes me think of whimsical and wistful. Wisteria is actually a climbing shrub native to North America and Asia with blue and lilac flowers. It stands for good luck, welcoming, vitality of a friend, affection after distance, devotion, and new birth.

Grimmhilde comes from various places. Its Germanic and Norse roots relate it to mythology. Grim relates to "grimmaz" which meant "to resound or thunder, grim, or person wearing a face mask". Hilde relates to "hildiz" which meant "battle". Together, these mean "someone who is ready to fight".

Grimhilde is also the name of the Evil Queen in Snow White. She was known for her magic, including poisons and potions. Grim is also a reference to Sirius and his animagus as well as Grimmauld Place. Sirius is one of my favorite characters.

https://www.flowermeaning.com/wisteria-flower/
http://www.name-doctor.com/name-grimhil ... 19058.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Queen_(Disney)
Erika Hart
No broom

Post by Erika Hart »

Well, the story behind my name is pretty simple. About several years ago, when I was much younger and still playing with ponies and fairies, I was also a writer. I wrote this fantasy/adventure short story that involved a red-hooded archer named Erika. She had a hippogriff as her friend (who she could ride, with permission, of course) and was a powerful magic user! (I know, my younger self had quite the imagination!) When I recently found that story again, I decided 'why not?' and made the fictional character that I created, become me!
Noppoh Elvenstar
No broom

Post by Noppoh Elvenstar »

My name is made up from several parts:

1) I've been calling myself 'Noppoh' ever since chats became popular when I was a teen. There was a trend back then to give yourself the most inappropriate names (really inappropriate) but I didn't feel comfortable doing that so I compromised. Noppoh is a slightly altered, backwards version of 'hop on'. Don't blame me, I was a young teen...

2) When I couldn't use the name Noppoh for some reason or another, I went by Noppohstar. How that came to be, I don't remember, but the name stuck.

3) I've recently started going to fantasy fairs dressed up as a wood-elf.

Combine the three and tadaa Noppoh Elvenstar :)
Romilda Jones
No broom

Post by Romilda Jones »

I real world my name isn't Romilda Jones
Both are made up
I made this name because I liked the meaning of Romilda it's glorious battle maiden.
I really like this name. If it is too long people can call me Jones
Rowena Granger
No broom

Post by Rowena Granger »

My name comes from Rowena Ravenclaw, because I'm a proud Ravenclaw, And Hermione Granger, becas=use she is one of my all time favourite characters!
Laura Lestrange
No broom

Post by Laura Lestrange »

my name is Laura Lestreange, because Laura is close to my real name and it is Latin for laurel plant that is used as a symbol of fame, honor, or victory. and Lestrange because I might be a bit evil.
Anorak Thornhew
No broom

Post by Anorak Thornhew »

My name isn't that interesting. I got it from a RPG fan fiction I made. (D&D if you've heard of it)
Delilah Cursey
No broom

Post by Delilah Cursey »

My name is sort of a revise of my own name. My first name is very similar to Delilah and my last name has accidently been mispronounced as Cursey many times so I thought to use it.
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

My name is Emerald Wolvenhowl. As you will have figured, it is not my real name. I decided to choose a name for Hol but it took me ages to make up my mind. I finally decided on this one because I like collecting crystals/gemstones, and one of my mum's favourite stones was Emerald. Inside and outside Hol, I am an animal lover and if I could own or look after any type of animal it would be a pack of wolves. I like wolves, not just for thier beauty but also the beautiful sound of their howl. Based on this, origninally my surname was going to be wolvehowl but i thought that the name wolvenhowl sounded more feminine.
Electra Demforth
No broom

Post by Electra Demforth »

My real muggle name begins with an “E” so that was my starting place. I have always felt like I have and Electric personality. I am bright, sometimes shocking, and definitely different. The last name I saw in a history book a long time ago about a family they believed were witches back in the day.
Tia Ksawer
No broom

Post by Tia Ksawer »

Well, I am a refugee from Facebook and I used a fake name there too. There are people from my past that I didn't want finding me. I went by many, many names but finally settled on Tia Ksawer. Why? Well, I have a family member named Ksawer that I love with all of my heart. I wanted to honor him by taking his name.

In the Middle East (which I have always loved), they have a special naming custom. When a firstborn son comes into the world, the parents take the child's name as a sort of nickname. Like, a father would be Abu Ahmed and a mother would be Umm Ahmed. I wanted to follow this custom with one issue. I am not Ksawer's parent. I am also not Middle Eastern, and do not wish to appropriate their culture.

I have some Hispanic blood. Tia means aunt in Spanish. Can you guess where i'm going with this?

Tia Ksawer.

Aunt of Ksawer.
Bagels Aguado
No broom

Post by Bagels Aguado »

My nickname in the real world is Bagels, so I prefer to be called Bagels whenever I can.

As for my last name, I just really like all things water... Ocean... Rain... Rivers.... So I found Aguado as a last name online meaning Water.

That's all, not exciting, but that's me!
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

Hi everyone!
Well my name doesn't have an interesting story either. I chose Carrie cuz that's how my english speaking friends call me since my real name is somehow difficult for them to pronounce. And I chose Warts (Pronounced: "Varts") because of the last words of Hogwarts and in kind of a German accent because I am surrounded by Germans at my work although I'm not German hahaha.
Last edited by Carrie Warts on Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Dani Crespo
No broom

Post by Dani Crespo »

Hi everyone,

My name is Dani Crespo. I use this name for my very first e-mail a long time ago, and now I adopt it for my HOL account. It's not really my real full name of course, but my family calls me Dani. It's the last part of my full name. Meanwhile, Crespo is actually a name of Argentinian football player. He was my idol back then, but now he has retired. This name shows my love for football and sports. So, it will be no surprising if I am also interested in quidditch, the most famous sport in wizard world!
Isa Vestal
No broom

Post by Isa Vestal »

My real life name is Melisa and a few of my friends call me “Isa” so that’s how I came up with my HOL first name. I’ve always taken a disliking to my full first name and wanted something a little less traditionally Eurocentric (I’m half Japanese and live in Japan so people would frequently mess up on my name and it got tiring after a while, not that I hate European names or anything). “Isa” is both a fairly common Japanese name (the literal translation of which is “one tea”) and is also a German name (Germany is where the other half of my family originated from). In German, Isa means “strong-willed” which is exactly what I wanted my HOL character to exemplify and so my HOL character’s first name was created for that reason.

I have to admit, I used a name generator to come up with the last name “Vestal.” I wanted a name that didn’t sound too muggle-ish but I also didn’t want an obscure name or one that already existed in the Harry Potter universe. I had already chosen the first name “Isa” so I just started using a name generator and reading the names out loud to see if they matched. When I came upon Vestal, I liked the consonance of the “ss” sound in the two names and decided to choose the two of them. I didn’t actually look up the meaning of Vestal until the writing of this post but, apparently, it’s related to the Roman goddess of purity, Vesta, which fits my character. Though she’s been through a lot, my character still has a certain naïveté about the darkness of the world but, even after she finds the darkness, she’s the type of person that sticks to what she believes and spreads joy even through difficult circumstances, showing a pureness of the heart.

Pigfarts, Pigfarts, here I come!
Pigfarts, Pigfarts, yum yum yum!
Maisie Crown
No broom

Post by Maisie Crown »

Hi!!!
I think the story behind my name is not as interesting as some of the ones I've been reading in your posts... But, anyway, I will explain the story of my name MAISIE CROWN.

I live in Spain and during the summer children go to summer camps (thay can have different tematics, English, Sports...). I was a teacher for a couple of years in an English Summer Camp, and teachers must choose an English or Foreign name so children think we only speak English, not Spanish or Catalan. So in my fisrt camp I had to choose a name... I choose Maisie (although everyone called me Mai) because my real name starts with Ma as well and I thought it would be easy to remember. Also I think Maisie and Mai sound really good (I looked throught a lot of names lists in google).

Crown comes from nowhere really... One day I was playing The Sims and I needed a surename for my Sim, and I randomly though of Crown, and that's all hahahahah

Hope you'll like my story :lol:
Theodore Beardsley
No broom

Post by Theodore Beardsley »

Well I can't say there is much story to my name xD

I am a internet browser with two usernames I will usually go with- Teddybr, and another.
I am also a roleplayer too, so turning Teddbr into the name Theodore Beardsley was quite entertaining xD

First I searched up what Ted could be short for and it poped up with Edward and Theodore, so I went with Theodore

As for Beardsley, I merely searched up a list of last names till I found one that is similar to Bears but also not really

This is how I got the name Theodore Beardsley

Return to “The Great Hall”