Moderator: Book Club Heads

Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Book Review: Rosemary's Baby

Post by Joey Stark »

Book Title: Rosemary's Baby
Author: Ira Levin
Genre: Thriller, horror

This is my second Ira Levin book ever, the first being The Stepford Wives, and it's proved that he's far from a one hit wonder. Just two books in, he's already in competition as one of my favourite authors.

Rosemary has just moved to a new apartment with her actor husband, Guy. They quickly attract the attention of a lonely elderly couple next door, the Castevets. Then, thrilled, Rosemary discovers she's pregnant but this only resulting in more interest from the Castevets and as unpleasant coincidences add up, Rosemary starts to wonder if there isn't something less innocent about the couple than she originally thought.

I knew of the film and book beforehand but had never experienced either and this really added to the creepiness throughout. Although there are aspects of the books that are guessable, this seems purposeful, Levin let's you understand enough of what's going on to work you up and build some serious tension. This book was gloriously eerie and has a great pace, building things up slowly at first without ever being boring. The characters are well formed and the undercurrent of unease is almost palpable, making you distrust everyone as Rosemary becomes more and more paranoid.

I find books with a mystery element often fall short with the reveal and the endings, but even though you have an idea of whats going to happen, it's no less disturbing and impactful. I find good ending are usually really indicative of a writer's skill and I am looking forward to reading the next Levin book already lined up on my 'to read' shelf.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a well written, uneasy horror/mystery that will hook you quickly and not release you until well after you've finished

Return to “The Bookshelf”