Prompts Index and Information

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Prompts Index and Information

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Welcome to the prompts index. Here you’ll find links to previous prompts and wordcrawls, as well as a brief explanation of how each works.

You can earn 20 beans for each prompt completed. To win the coveted Quill and Ink Award, you must complete 7 Quill and Ink writing options over a particular school year. This can include submitting for any prompts, sharing your work in one of the Sharing Spaces and our 9 word crawls.
You may submit to a prompt more than once: providing your story is sufficiently different to your first one it can still count. However you may not complete a particular prompt twice in one year. Neither prompts or crawls have a deadline but to count towards an award for a particular school year, they must be completed before the end of the Spring Term of that year.

To submit for a prompt, post your story as a reply to that particular thread. If you’re uncomfortable sharing publically and still want it to count, email it to us at hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). If you do that, please make sure your HOL Name and the name of the prompt are included at the top.

Word Crawls
Crawls are a type of writing board game. You will be provided with a series of fun steps and will have to write from one to the next. If you follow the instructions, you should end up with a story of 300 words or more. You do not have to stick to the theme of the crawl in any way and you can actually use them for things other than stories: if you’re struggling with an essay, they might make completing it a bit more fun.
Note: If you’re submitting for the award, I can only accept original stories, not your homework. ;)

We have 9 Crawls to choose from
Philosopher’s Stone
Chamber of Secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Half Blood Prince
Deathly Hallows
Fantastic Beasts
Quidditch

Monthly Prompts
These simply give you a theme or starting point for a story (which must be 200 words or more and ‘on-theme’ to count).
I Declare (Declarations of Love
Potential and Promise (Writing about new beginnings)
Stripped Back Celebrations
Colder/Hotter Than.... (Writing about Temperature)
Spine Tingling Suspense
Bringing the Past to Life
Character Development Promts
World-Building Prompts
Open Endings
Interesting Instructions
From Where I’m Standing
Shopping Around
I Thoroughly Recommend the..
Inspiring Inventions
Your Presence Requested
Sell it to Me
Creating a Chill
In Order
Read All About It
On This Day
Time After Time
Put It in a Letter
Spectacular Speeches
Resolute Writing
Present Perfect
It’s Tradition
Descriptive Dining
Setting Out
Objects of Power
Fair Weather Fiction
Journey to the Past
How the…
Character Building
In the name of Love
Magical Me
Festive Fiction
Book Combining
Title Twisting
Wonderful Wordlist
School's In
Let's Hear it for the Antagonist
The Winds of Change
True Colours
Strike Up a Tune
I Read It Somewhere
A Tale of 2 Genres
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Planes, Trains and Flying Horses
How Mysterious
Someone Else's Idea of Spooky
Slow, Steady and Soothing
A New Tradition
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Quill and Ink”