Book Reading Challenges

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Book Reading Challenges

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

Has anyone ever participated in a book reading challenge? And I'm not talking about here on HOL, I mean in outside of HOL for maybe a book club or a special school activity or some online thing. I did one this past week called BookTubeAThon. It's a week long celebration of reading where during certain points of the day, sprints were posted and everyone read as much as they could within a certain period of time. It wasn't to get through as much as you could, but the idea was for everyone in the challenge to be reading at the exact same time. There were activities posted that one could even submit to for prizes like gift cards or even brand new books to add to their collection. These challenges dealt with posting pictures of books using a certain prompt or even spelling out your favorite book title WITH book titles! That one was fun.

On top of that, there was the reading challenges of which I managed to complete all but one! The one I did not complete was reading 7 books in 7 days. I managed to get through 5.5 books which is not that bad if I do say so myself. It was such a fun experience, and I cannot wait until the next one.

How about the rest of you? Did you by chance participate in BookTubeAThon at some point or maybe you have participated in a challenge similar to it? I am eager to know. I am also looking for more things to do with books and reading!
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Tags:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Book Reading Challenges

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

My library has a reading challenge every once in a while!

There is a lovely sign over their entrance -- and when I next go to the library, I'll bring my camera and take a picture of it and edit this post with the picture -- hopefully the wind won't be blowing great gusts so it will be clear and not blurred!

I was told that our little area has the largest percentage of readers in the whole state -- and I think a lot of that is because our library is so active and participates with the community in a variety of ways.

EDIT: have the photograph! :)

Shown in picture is porticoed entrance to what appears to be a large, multi-story building. The building appears to be made of some white masonry. There is a green trash container and a green bench under the roof of the portico. Off to the right side are some potted plants. A large banner hangs between two columns at the entrance of the portico. The banner is blue, perhaps 10 feet long and 2 or 3 feet deep. On it are words "It's Summer ... Let's read!". The letters to the words have been sewn onto the banner. All the letters are white except the I of It's which is lavender, the S of Summer which is yellow, the L of Let's, which is pale blue and the R of Read which is red. The dots are (I think) pale blue, yellow and red.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

I also participated in BookTubeAThon this past week and am really glad I did! Lately, I haven't been reading nearly as much so BookTubeAThon gave me the push I needed to get back into reading. I managed to complete 4 books during the week, and I completed 5 of the challenges. I didn't manage to fully complete a book outside, but I did read the majority of it outdoors. I thought that one in particular was an awesome challenge and I'm glad that at least a couple days this past week had lovely weather for reading! I didn't do any of the Instagram or Youtube challenges this time though, so maybe next time I'll try to fit those in as well. I really enjoyed watching everyone else's challenges though!

An online read-a-thon that's coming up that I've been keeping tabs on is Tome Topple Read-A-Thon where the goal is to tackle larger tomes that you own (books of over 500 pages). I'm really excited for it, since I have a couple large books I've been holding onto for a while. One of the challenges is actually to buddy read a tome, so if anyone is interested in buddy reading with me during August 4-17, feel free to suggest tomes to read!
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

Update: There's a really cool reading challenge set to begin on August 13th. It's called The Reading Quest and is based around a video game structure. Participants are urged to choose one of four classes which will then issue them different challenges on books to read, though you can continue along the other paths after you've finished the first one. As you read you gain health and experience points and can level up your character. There are also additional side quests readers can choose to complete as well. It looks really interesting and also has really good artwork, and it's a format I've never seen before so I'm excited for it to begin!
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

Oh my goodness! This looks so exciting! Thanks for sharing Aurelia! I am absolutely signing up for this. Anything that encourages more reading and in such a fun way needs as much support as it can possibly get!

:edit: I have signed up, and I am choosing the Bard path first. I already have my list of books to be read for the challenge, many of which are sitting on my floor begging me to read them. I can't wait until this starts!
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Lavinia Rookwood
No broom

Post by Lavinia Rookwood »

Aww, I'm sorry to have missed that Reading Quest, it sounds like it would have been fun. Maybe they'll do it again next year?

I used to do the summer reading thing when I was a kid, but I haven't really done any since. But I'm thinking I might start looking for some of those things to help me boost my reading. Last year or so I haven't been reading as much as I like, so whatever it takes, aye?
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

The Reading Quest was a lot of fun! The person running it said she would run another similar one when she had the time, so I look forward to it. If anyone has another reading challenge coming up that they would like to share, please do! It looks like there are a few of us who enjoy them! Of course we also have Book Bingo going on in the Book Club which I've already compiled a to be read (TBR) list for. At least I'm working on it.

Who all will be participating in Book Bingo? Do you have your TBR or an idea of what you plan to read?
Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Post by Hannah R Thomas »

So, this is a website that has been one of the greatest book websites I have ever encountered called Goodreads. Every year, they have you set a goal (you can go up or down from your original goal). This can range from anything from manga, history type of books, to any genre type of books you desire. The only cat is that you can find it on Goodreads ;) I adore this site so much because I can read at my own pace, which is a huge deal for me! :)
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore
Hanna Inari
No broom

Post by Hanna Inari »

I'm not really familiar with international challenges so the information that I write is probably useless... but still.
I've participated in such a thing that was organised in a community on one of the Russian blogging sites. Each year they hold a challenge and the organizers always come up with something new, usually everyone should read books by categories and there's a certain number in each category. The year when I stopped tracking their challenges, the essence of the challenge was changed and that year the participants should've read less books in quantity but more in quality: they were to find the books that they wanted to read for a long time, the books that were the most important for their future or were very good or something like that. Many people were arguing that year that it was not an easy task to read so many difficult books (20 or so) in a year. I've seen this challenge when it was born and there weren't that many people, and now it's doubled by a large book website, Livelib, and is called the same. As far as I know, there it has a lighter form and you should only choose the number of books you swear to read this year.
As I said, I took part in the event some years earlier but I didn't succeed. I didn't go even close to ending it, and I don't really regret. I've still read a bunch of good books though. Participating in a challenge is a good idea if you already have some reading plans and only need to organize yourself, but reading should not be obligatory, it's a pleasure after all, so if a person doesn't succeed in it, so be it. I realised that a list of books to read is more efficient for me, and now I sometimes participate in another community on the same blogging site. There are no challenges there, only lists of books to read and discussions.
I've been thinking about taking part in Book Bingo but I decided not to participate. I try not to overestimate myself.
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

It's time for BookTubeaThon again this year. It began yesterday, and I am one book in and working on my second out of the seven I am hoping to finish during this week long book challenge. Are any of you participating this year? Last year was a blast. While I am still not doing the video challenges, I am doing the photo challenges and it has been so much fun trying to figure out artsy looking photos for my books.

Are there any other reading challenges that you know of that are coming up soon that you plan to participate in? If you're participating in BookTubeaThon, what does your reading list look like? Are you doing the video or photo challenges or both?
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist »

My nearest libraries are quite active and they do organize many different books connected events; but I am not so satisfied with them because they are mostly about books for very young or about books for older people (usually old books).
Once I have collaborated in Harry Potter book challenge and it was also very nice meeting for HP fans where we were sorted into houses and then in houses solve the quiz (much like our trivia questions here on HOL).
I also remember the book challenges from school, when we were all invited to read more and then tell the teacher about the plot of read book; we got prize at the end of the school year (mostly award and some book).
Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Post by Hannah R Thomas »

I've always wanted to be part of something like this, but the books that are brought up are not of my genre. I was part of a club back in my high school and that didn't work out because a majority of the members wanted to read something else than what was picked. Where I currently am, there are clubs that occur at a "Barnes & Noble" store and they are more of the drama genre.

Once I graduate college, I plan on creating my own club through collaboration with the local libraries and hopefully draw some avid readers in
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore
Poppy Anderson
No broom

Post by Poppy Anderson »

Oh, where I come from every year in all the libraries in the area do a reading challenge during the summer holidays, we have to read 6 books by the end of the holidays, I'm always the first to finish it, we have 6 weeks to do it and I end finishing it within 1-3 days LOL.

Return to “Book Talk”