Square dance

Discuss Football, Tennis, Bowling, Rugby, Cricket...

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Square dance

Post by Gail Allen »

Almost four years ago I started dancing square dance.
Where I live it's a fairly unknown sport, but I quickly learned that for a time, it was something that many schools taught in the United States. So now I am curious how many of you can dance this dance? And do any of you still do it?
How did you feel about it when you were in school if you learned it then?
And what do you think of the traditional dresses worn for dancing?

Personally I love it. I think it is so much fun to learn the different calls that guides the dance and remember what they mean for how you have to move. It is so much fun because you never know what comes next, but must be ready to do what the caller tells you to do, and cooperate with the other dancers in your square to make it work.
I didn't learn it in school, although I probably wouldn't have liked it back then. I wasn't very happy with that type of thing when I was younger. I was not very wise growing up.
When I first saw the dresses I thought they looked hilarious. But now I actually rather like the look. It's certainly not an every day look, but when four couples in a square are all decked out in the same type of dress, it does look good and it becomes part of the mood.
And before you ask: yes, I do have my own square dance dress with an enormous petticoat to go under, that makes me look rather like I tried to dress up like a cupcake.

Tags:
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Re: Square dance

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I only ever squared danced in grade school during gym class, but I thought it was fun then (I don't remember much more than it was fun). I actually didn't ever consider it being an adult community event. Being from the Midwestern US, I probably fall under a group of people who assume square dancing is something that happens more in the southern US. I wasn't even aware that there were outfits people did it in!

I know we've talked about it a little bit, and it sounds like a lot of fun, though slightly overwhelming! I would totally be willing to learn. I know I love swing dancing, and I need to find somewhere to continue doing that in my local community. Maybe I'll take up square dancing too. Good way to stay in shape and stay mentally sharp!
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

Most of my elementary years were in Colorado, and it was always a part of gym class every year. I love square dancing and line dancing! I'm not a great dancer so any dance like these (or the chicken dance, the cha-cha slide, etc) that have instructions/specific dances are my favorite! I remember having a lot of fun and wish it were more of a thing here on the east coast of the US!
Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Marie Dark »

Never learned to Square Dance at school..... I actually went to a western Bar when I turned 19 and learned after seeing everyone doing it.... I had so much fun and I too, love Line dancing.... I use to do the "Electric Slide", "Slappin Leather", and the "Two Step"...... Wow!!!
It's been a long time since I did any of those.... I should probably find a place that still has this.....
Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Post by Austin Ollivander Black »

I was taught Square Dance and Line Dance in School ...It was a requirement in Elementary School. I do not do either anymore now though.
Image RQT 2017/18

Return to “Sports Talk”