What Book Are You Reading?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Violet Rubert
No broom

Post by Violet Rubert »

I'm currently reading Harry Potter, Kafka on the Shore, and the Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

Tags:
Sila Snape
No broom

Post by Sila Snape »

I read a couple of books at the same time (not exactly the "same" time:) The books I'm currently reading are Edmund Blair Bolles' "Galileo's Commandment", Bill Bryson's ""A short histroy of nearly everything", Gary Small-Gigi Vorgan's "The Memory Prescription: Dr. Gary Small's 14-Day Plan to Keep Your Brain and Body Young", Edward Carr's "What is history?" and Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot". I guess I shouldn't start reading new books before finishing these. :)
"I don't know what kind of weapons will be used in the third world war, assuming there will be a third world war. But I can tell you what the fourth world war will be fought with - stone clubs."
Einstein
Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Zoki Phantom »

I just started reading "The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters", by Gordon Dahlquist, today. By what I read so far they should be quite good books. *nods*
Persephone Farnon
No broom

Post by Persephone Farnon »

I'm currently reading the fourth book in the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, The Battle for Skandia, as well as the German version of Twilight, Biss zum Morgengrauen.
Silde Owen
No broom

Post by Silde Owen »

I'm now reading The Arabian Nights. And I just got a book for my birthday, The Picture of Dorian Gray. I have long wanted to read it, and this version is in both English and German so hopefully I will do some serious learning from it.
Ely Granger
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ely Granger »

At the moment I'm reading "The Golem's Eye" by Jonathan Stroud; it is fantasy and I like it very much
-------------- *Siggy by me* ------------------
Persephone Farnon
No broom

Post by Persephone Farnon »

I'm currently reading King, Kaisar, Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led the World to War by Catrine Clay.
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Today I finished reading Blindness by José Saramago, a portuguese writer. A pretty enjoyable read and thought provoking!
Now I'm about to start Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
Gertrudis Leheureux
No broom
Location: On my bike riding into Hogsmeade for a soda at Madame Puddifoot's.

Post by Gertrudis Leheureux »

Gustavo Flores wrote:QUOTE (Gustavo Flores @ Jul 12 2010, 07:42 AM) Today I finished reading Blindness by José Saramago, a portuguese writer. A pretty enjoyable read and thought provoking!
Hey, Gus. Saramago is quite the writer. It's almost a month since is death, may he rest in peace. So sad.

I am reading the City of Ember tetrology at the moment. I needed a good read while travelling on trains planes and buses. I have enjoyed every page so far. It's a bit of Kevin Costner's The Postman and a smattering of other futurist/disaster fantasy/sci-fi with a social message that doesn't hit you up the side of head with a cricket bat.

I have to get back to Ravenclaw Summer Camp.
Have a good summer everybody!

Gertie Leheureux
...or wizards. (JRRTolkien)
Thanks to Efie of Sparkly Butterflies, Sparkleissa Ink, for the gorgeous signature.
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

You're right Gertie, Saramago is quite the writer! It was so sad when he died! :(
Now I'm hoping to get my hands in any of his other writings!
Rin Silrose
No broom

Post by Rin Silrose »

Saramago is still one of my favorite writers of all time. Gustavo, I'd love to (maybe, at some point) hear your thoughts on Blindness. I read that book last year and loved it. I still have yet to finish Seeing. (It's currently on hold.)

I'm currently reading Norwegian Wood by Murakami Haruki. I had wanted to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle first, but my library doesn't own it. :( It's an amazing book, that really draws you in from the first pages. Murakami's voice and style are unique, but in a good way.

I'm also reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It's hard to get through the first 200 pages, but I've been told that it picks up after that.
Rin Silrose | ri902 | 3rd Year | DMCEA | Dr. Spencer Reid Obsessed
Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Zoki Phantom »

I'm re-reading my all-times-favorite at the moment, The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. If someone hasn't read it yet, they should totally do! :)
Prof. Maquelly John
No broom

Post by Prof. Maquelly John »

I have just begun reading The Hunger Games today. I have heard so much about it so I figured I should read it. I love it so far!
Gertrudis Leheureux
No broom

I read a review about The Hunger games with which I have to agree: The Twilght books came out at the exact same time and stole everybody's thunder. There were a whole bunch of critics who think the Hunger Games should not be compared to the Twilight series because Twilight sucks. The woman can not write. I think Barbara Cartland will win the Nobel Prize for Literature before Stephanie Twilight does. Twilight could put an insomnica into a coma.

On the other hand, on the 15/16th of july, I was stuck for 27 hours on airplanes and in airports browsing the book stalls when Zoki Phantom's avatar caught my eye. I managed to read quite a bit of The Hunger Games while standing next to the bookstall. I didn't have any more room in my bag to bring along yet another book unfortunately so I didn't buy it which was a mega-mistake.

Right this second I am half-way through Dewey: The small-town library cat who touched the world. When I was in Prof Gustavo's Magical Creatures class, we had to identify a series of photos one of which was of a delightful looking cat. When I figured out that it was Dewey, I was so smitten with all that I had read off the internet that I ordered the book now translated into Spanish. I love it. Thanks, Prof Gus.

Gert
Last edited by Gertrudis Leheureux on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Efie of Sparkly Butterflies, Sparkleissa Ink, for the gorgeous signature.
Ely Granger
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ely Granger »

At the moment I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half-blood prince for the third time...I like HP books very much!
-------------- *Siggy by me* ------------------
Katrina Lovegood
No broom

Post by Katrina Lovegood »

At the moment I am mainly reading a large number of extremely boring uni books on professional ethics!

But for fun, I am also about to start the latest Jodi Picoult 'House Rules'
Gertrudis Leheureux
No broom

Katrina

Jodi Picoult "House Rules". Could you give a 25 words or less description of the plot? And if you think you'll finish it.

Gert
Katrina Lovegood
No broom

Post by Katrina Lovegood »

Hi Gert,

I am sure I will finish it. I love Jodi Picoult books. They always touch on sensitive issues, but in such a real and interesting way! She does a lot of research for her books. I have read all of the others but just haven't had a chance to read this one.

It ‘s about a boy with Asperger’s who’s fascinated with forensic analysis. After his tutor is killed he’s accused due to his fascination and mannerisms.
Pezzie Wolfe
Moontrimmer

Post by Pezzie Wolfe »

I'm reading the fifth book (last I do believe) of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I also am re-reading Harry Potter book one. I am looking forward to reading Rick Riordan's new book.
Sig Tag by Pezzie. I Love NKOTB :wub:
HOL Member since August 2003 | Here's to 20 Years at HOL!
St.John Aloisius Sloots
No broom

Post by St.John Aloisius Sloots »

Hi, all:

I am presently reading quite a few books, but the one I am concentrating my attention on for entertainment is Steven Erikson's third book in the Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series: Memories of Ice. Heavy, high fantasy on par with hard core producers like T. Goodkind or the late R. Jordan, the book is a grand storyline made up of smaller plots cleverly woven together. Rather than try and describe the story, I will let the back of the book speak for itself.

"The ravaged continent of Genabackis has given birth to a terrifying new empire: the Pannion Domin. Like a tide of corrupted blood, it seethes across the land, devouring all. In its path stands an uneasy alliance: Onearm's army and Whiskeyjack's Bridgeburners alongside their enemies of old--the forces of the Warlord Caladan Brood, Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii mages, and the Rhivi people of the plains.

But ancient undead clans are also gathering; the T'lan Imass have risen. For it would seem something altogether darker and more malign threatens this world. Rumors abound that the Crippled God is now unchained and intent on terrible revenge.

Marking the return of many characters from Gardens of the Moon and introducing a host of remarkable new players, Memories in Ice is both a momentous new chapter in Steven Erickson's magnificent epic fantasy and a triumph of storytelling."

Rather standard EPIC fantasy fair but essential nonetheless for those who need a bit more detail, depth and weight to their magical literary repasts :) .

Your servant,

Return to “Book Talk”