How Many Books Do You Read Per Year

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Pammy Rainroad
No broom

Post by Pammy Rainroad »

At least 30 books. :rolleyes: Not as much as I'd like though since I'm busy with school and band.

Tags:
Madison Grant
No broom

Post by Madison Grant »

I'm not sure exactly how many I read, but I keep a list in a journal. Along with recommendations from people. If anyone has a favorite book I should read, let me know!
Astra Holt
No broom

Post by Astra Holt »

It says school books don't count--how about school books that you read just for fun, like someone else's schoolbook, or a schoolbook that you had from a prior class?

I am *such* a Hermione!
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -G. Marx
Prof. Tom Foster
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Tom Foster »

I have no idea how many books I read a year, maybe about 6 or 7.
Last edited by Prof. Tom Foster on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
St.John Aloisius Sloots
No broom

Post by St.John Aloisius Sloots »

Greetings All:

I belong to an online book club whose members endeavor to read at least 50 books a year. In 2008 I read 33 books and last year I made it to 38 :( Maybe this year I will make into the 40s. I made a good start and have presently read three so far.

Your servant,
Last edited by St.John Aloisius Sloots on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen Circa
No broom

Post by Karen Circa »

I read 28 books in 2009. I tend to read more when it's the summer time because when I am in school I don't read anything besides school books. My favorite book from last year was Beautiful Creatures. It really captured me with its spooky characters and great southern america plotline!
Ely Granger
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ely Granger »

more than 25
-------------- *Siggy by me* ------------------
Laurie Lovegood
No broom

Post by Laurie Lovegood »

I don't keep track, but I HAVE to read at least 100. I can usually read a book in a day or a couple, and I am always reading...
Jason Knight
No broom

Post by Jason Knight »

I usally read well over 50 books a year. :)
Amelia Grace Ledbetter
No broom

Post by Amelia Grace Ledbetter »

I read way over 10 books a year. My parents refuse to buy me books unless its a special occasion because they know I'll tear through it in less than a day. I don't usually read that much during the school year due to homework and cheering at football games, but I can get through quite a few in the summers.
am1041 || first year || spice squad member || lion's pride awards committee
Chandrika Sundari
No broom

Post by Chandrika Sundari »

Being that I've read nearly 10 in the last 2-3 months I'd calculate that I definitely read more than ten in a year. Right now I'm catching up on a series of Clone Wars era book in the Star Wars universe, but normally I like to alternate genres to keep things interesting. I throw in a full reread of old favorites when I feel like it. I'll be re-reading Deathly Hallows at least once before part one comes out in theaters.

On textbooks: I have a lot of books that were technically textbooks for my classes but are either history-related fiction (like Enemy at the Gates or The Other Boleyn Girl) or a nonfiction/other book that was used in the class (example: Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces). I also read classic literature out of my old Literature book, which I kept since I'd already bought it and it takes up less space than the individual stories/books. Lastly I have a vast amount of reference books related to Harry Potter, Star Wars, creative writing, and history/culture which I peruse from time to time. But all that's in addition to my casual reading. :P

Oh and I check out a LOT of young adult/children's books on behalf of my mom who is an assistant librarian. Most of those I read in an hour or two to a day or so, depending on the length. I help them decide if the content is Elementary level.
Last edited by Chandrika Sundari on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily Diggory
No broom

Post by Lily Diggory »

I'd say I read at least 50 if not more.
Badger Pride! Hufflepuff to win the House Cup 2011!
Chantal Forget
No broom

Post by Chantal Forget »

Ohh, I'm so bad for this! Since my piano teacher lives right around the corner from the library, we tend to go there every week :D I go through books like crazy, and when I'm reading a particularly good one, I will zone out background noises.. which leads to people trying to talk to me for quite a while before I realize anything :P This also tends to make me procrastinate doing other things, such as homework and chores. ;)
Chantal Forget ~ ch1133 ~ 1st year Gryff
Kai Daniels
No broom

Post by Kai Daniels »

I usually read 1-2 books a week, so thats nearly 100 books a year!
Jem Reed
No broom

Post by Jem Reed »

I average 5-6 books a year. And it should be noted that the books I read are printed in size 8 font and are at least 400-500 pages long. Being a single mom the fact that I can average 5 books a year is a pretty amazing feat.

Back in high school I averaged about 50 a year. I could end up reading a good 25 novels during the course of the summer alone. Summer break is the best time for reading classics such as Gone with the Wind, To kill a Mocking Bird, Treasure Island, Phantom of the Opera, Withering Heights, and The catcher in the Rye. Heck, I remember reading through The Hobbit and all three Lord of the Rings books in less than two weeks the summer after 7th grade.

Although I must ask if reading fictional books that we were assigned to read for class counts? Lord of the Flies, 1984, The Cobra Effect, and The Hot Zone were all books I has to read for either Honors English or AP (Advanced Placement) Biology my Junior year; and that's just to name a few. Not to mention Senior year with AP English classes.
North Ellwood
No broom

Post by North Ellwood »

It usually takes me about two weeks to read a book, so that's about 20 books a year. I used to read a lot more when I was younger and our homework was considerably less.
Eagle and PROUD

North Ellwood | First Year | no876 | RQT
Kate Quinn
No broom

Post by Kate Quinn »

This year I've actually been keeping track of which books I read so that I know the real answer to this question! My goal for the year is 100, and I have read 53 so far (I'm a bit behind).
Thanks to Brie MacKenna for the banner! :)

"Not all those who wander are lost."
Anneliese Lee
No broom

Post by Anneliese Lee »

Well, I read pretty fast, so I usually go through a few books a week. Probably over 100, a year. :)
Laurie Lovegood ©
Enid Labs
No broom

Post by Enid Labs »

I'm not really sure about how much books do I really read per year. I may read a lot... but as I know, and recently I have not so much time to read (muggle school things) I put 7-10 books, but surely, counting school books I read a lot more. :)

(Edited: I counted how many books I've read and I've already passed the 10 books.)
Last edited by Enid Labs on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.
Lisette Westerveldt
No broom

Post by Lisette Westerveldt »

Agreed. I usually don't have time to read new, non-school related books, due to massive amounts of homework, extracurriculars, sports, etc...

But I do a lot of re-reading of my books, as well as large amounts of reading on fanfiction ^^
-----
Lisette (Liz) Westerveldt | Ravenclaw | RQT

Return to “Book Talk”