What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Victoria Colico
No broom

Post by Victoria Colico »

when i chose my name for hol i used the name of a character from a book im writing.....but that is a long story.....and i just stuck with that name sumtimes other characters in my other books (well they are sort of books) are Victoria Colico....in the first book i metioned she is a witch who has to defend her fellow students and wat-not from her own uncle, who set-up her dad....well mayb one of these days i can get the story up here....g2g much luvs....l8r
Neia Black

Post by Neia Black »

Well like you Sherry, I'm also a Black!! Neia Black, for many things really, of couse Sirius is one of them, but also black is a colour that combines with everything and I like to think I can get along with anybody, combine with different things as well, like the colour, it was very hard to decide really what to call myself, different things pop into my mind, Neia was definitive, I love that name, though is not really my own, but the last name was a problem, Black? Wicked? Swordproof? I didn't know what to call myself, but Black went also very good with Neia, so that's why, and besides we share, Sirius and I, the same problem regarding Family, all of them are Slytherin's and I'm a Gryffindor, which of course gives me some trouble! But proud to be one! Anyway that's why I called myself that way!
Last edited by Neia Black on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velocity Vervain
No broom

Post by Velocity Vervain »

When it came to choosing my Hol name I thought it'd be more fun to give myself a whole new identity and escape from my plain Jayne roots! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I wanted my name to sound and also translate into something magical, so I decided on Velocity Vervain! Vervain is a type of flower whose meaning is 'enchantment', so my name roughly translates to swift enchantment!
Hermione Smith
No broom

Post by Hermione Smith »

i choose my name because hermione is one of my favorite characters and smith just came to my mind /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Harry potter rocks!
Euvira Samara
No broom

Post by Euvira Samara »

I wanted my name to be Euvira Samara becuase:

1. Euvira is one of my many nicknames and
2. I thought Samara sounded cool with Euvira.
Julie Chant
No broom

Post by Julie Chant »

Hmmm, well Julie came from a role-playing character I had not too long ago. She actually went by "Jules" but I got sick of it after a while, so Julie appeared! I suppose it is also short for Juliet.

Chant is the last name of a character in the Chronicles of Chrestomanci (as in Christopher Chant).

And there you have it!
Celia Ashby
No broom

Post by Celia Ashby »

I just chose mine because I liked the name Celia. I found it on a website that had compiled a bunch of Latin names. "Celia" happens to mean something to do with heaven. I just made up my last name. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />
Brea Daniels
No broom

Post by Brea Daniels »

Brea is my real first name. Couldn't think of a last name. I had the tv on in the background, and this one character's last name was Daniels, so I tacked it on.
Whee!
Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elganorus Oakbark »

As many other names here at HOL, my first (Elganorus) name was the name of my favourite role playing character. Ha was also a wizard, a quite powerful one.
Since his first appearance in my life in 1993, I borrow his name for every persona I have in RPGs, computer games etc.
So, if you find an Elganor on the realms of the net, it will be probably me.
Because it was created before I learned latin or found an elvish dictionary, it means nothing. No "The evening light", or "Brave bear" or something like that. Just a name.

Oakbark. Its a "new invention". I searched for a name, suitable in the HP universe. A lots of character's name has a meaning and I also wanted something with a meaning. Oakbark is a quite resistant material, it is strong like an oak and protects the life within the tree. I was hesitating between Oakbark and Barkskin, but Barkskin is a name of a spell (Cl/Druid lvl2) so I choose Oakbark.
I'm the Rugged Man, and the Ruler of all Chocolate Frogs!
Everybody wants to be Us!
Talwyn Dahl
No broom

Post by Talwyn Dahl »

Rimmer Dahl is the Federations chief seeker in The Druid of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I love the Shannara books and decided to use a name from one of them.

The name also seems right for the HP world.
Naomi Jourdain
No broom

Post by Naomi Jourdain »

My name is rather simple. My favorite hero name is Naomi and I love french names and my brothers name is Jordan so I made is french. Nami Jourdain. lol

Nami[nah--me]
"Every man's life is a fairy tale
written by God's fingers."
Hans Christian Anderson
Emillia Moonwhisp
No broom

Post by Emillia Moonwhisp »

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I choose my name because I've used it on so many other sites. I invented the name myself, after reading the book, Quidditch through the Ages by M. Whisp. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> And I thought that moon was a cool sort of word, so I mixed the two, and added a first name I thought sounded, well... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

magical. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

So, that is the tale of my name. Not a great New Years' party joke, but it's how I got the name. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
"Spiders are making me tap-dance...but I don't want to tap-dance!"

We told you not to spoil Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Ron...*shakes head* Should have listened...for the spiders and your own good...
Kate McGregor
No broom

Post by Kate McGregor »

Hmmm... I am not 100%sure that I haven'tanswered this already there are similar threads in different forums, if I am being redundant, I apologize.

I Love Ewan McGregor! I think he is a mega hottie! So I picked his last name, then I just picked a first name that sounded good with the last name. I use this name as a personal character when writing fan fics and when "playing" Harry Potter with my friends
Emilie Willfong
No broom

Post by Emilie Willfong »

Hello. Well I don't know what I was thinking when I thought of my name. Well here goes, At my school I am in a German class and in there my name is Emilie. And my last name is German So it is Emilie Willfong. Yea boring I know. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Gabrielle Beaumont
No broom

Post by Gabrielle Beaumont »

Emilie Willfong is a coooooooool name!

Mine's quite boring, Gabrielle Beaumont is a french name I also got from class so yea...
Last edited by Gabrielle Beaumont on Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Post by Lavendie Bregell »

I like your name, Gabrielle, especially your last name-French names are cool!

Signature from the wonderful ID card shop!
Azriel Iscariot
No broom

Post by Azriel Iscariot »

Hey. Azriel Iscariot is due to Aerix Soma::blushies::. In a life outside the computer, I know him. He's my boyfriend^^. Anywho, besides HOL, we role play on a site*Much fun* and that is where Azriel came from. She is my chary, rarely used but my chary nonetheless. Yet Azriel had no last name so we had to go searching for one and we choose Iscariot...it works. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> the vampire within her...that is who I rp as, a vampire.
"Smile, it makes the world wonder what you are up to."

"You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

Blog: Azriel's Story and HOL Blog
Cordelia Peridott
No broom

Post by Cordelia Peridott »

Well, with my name, Cordelia Peridott, the first part is from King Lear, I studied it last year and Cordelia was my favourite character and I really like the name just because it sounds pretty off the tongue, if you know what I mean.

Peridott was a random word that came out of my head, and I've used it as one of my family names in the Sims.

And that's about it

Cordelia /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Thoth Van
No broom

Post by Thoth Van »

Thoth Van

I 've chosen Thoth because I identify myself with this Egyptian God. Inteligence, wisdom and literacy are attributes of both of us.

Van is a commom part of three other nicknames people are used to call me, two of them are related to my first name and the other is realted to my surname.
Thoth Van || th605 || Ravenclaw || BRASIL

"Our brilliance shines as bright as the stars"

~RPM 2007 motto by Jenna Hathaway
Silver Dragon
No broom

Post by Silver Dragon »

The Dragon part was easy, I got a thing for dragons. The Silver part is more complicated. My friends and I were born in the Woodstock era in the US and one of my good friends from childhood was named Silver and he unfortunately died recently so I took his name to honour his memory.
Dragons -- Top of the Food Chain!

Return to “The Great Hall”