Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Rebecca Peck
No broom

Post by Rebecca Peck »

There is a book by Jaqueline Wilson and it is called Lola Rose. Here is the blurb from the back of the book:

When life at home suddenly gets really frightening, Jayni, her mum and her little brother Kenny have to pack their bags and escape in the middle of the night. They also have to choose new names - and so Jayni becomes the glamorous, grown-up Lola Rose!

But Lola Rose's new life isn't quite as wondeful as her new name. And when Mum has to go into hospital, Lola Rose is forced to be much more grown up than she really feels.

I just finished reading it last night and it was AMAZING!!! If you ever see this book in the shops, pick it up buy it read it. It'll be worth it. I guarantee.
Made by Cho Delacour in Siganture Palace

Wand: 11 inches, Mahogany, Unicorn hair
Pets: An Eagle owl called Spock
Kingdom: Silver Starfruit
Blood: Pure blooded and proud to be a Hufflepuff

Tags:
Cyriel Aurorus
No broom

Post by Cyriel Aurorus »

I don't know if these are mentioned already, but "His Dark Materials" by P. Pulmann, almost all books by Agatha Christie, "The Amber series" by R. Zelazny and K. Le Guins books /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Really good books all of them /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And to people from Estonia (I don't know names of these books in English): K. Le Guin'i "Meremaa võluri" sari, Bulgakov'i "Meister ja Margarita", "Tuulest viidud" ja "Triumfikaar" /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Last edited by Cyriel Aurorus on Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
|Cyriel Bowl of D00m! \o/|cy602|Fifth Year|Prefect|
|SPD|Spice Squad|Paw Print|LCPP Head|Teh Ubar|
Cyriel Aurorus
No broom

Post by Cyriel Aurorus »

Brittney Behr wrote:yo!does anyone like the artemis fowl books?they are like up there with harry potter! /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />  /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

I know /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I've read them all and I'm a big fan of them /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I like the idea of Artemis as a bad-good guy. It make the books really intresting /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />
|Cyriel Bowl of D00m! \o/|cy602|Fifth Year|Prefect|
|SPD|Spice Squad|Paw Print|LCPP Head|Teh Ubar|
Steph Rowe
No broom

Post by Steph Rowe »

Ooh - I just thought of another author to add!

Any books by David Clement-Davies are really good. He writes from the perspective of animals, but he adds in what I guess you would call supernatural twists to his stories. He has this really beautiful way of writing and it is the kind of book you can never put down! I know he's written 'The Sight' and 'Firebringer', but I'm not sure if he has any other books out at the moment. Anyway, just give them a try if you want to read something different.
Vivian Durdenski
No broom

Post by Vivian Durdenski »

Most of my recommended reading are classics:
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - war satire. Really witty, funny but at the same time at moments quite painful. It's like you laugh at something and then, for the shortest moment you realize: "Hey! It's not funny. Not at all.". And then you keep laughing some more. There's no other book like this one.
Of Mice and Man by John Steinbeck - a beautiful, deep, sad book about dreams, friendship and human cruelty.
Lord Of the Flies by William Golding - someone had already mentioned that one. A must!
Animal Farm by George Orwell - hard to read not because of the style but the content. And so true. I had to keep struggling with myslef to read on. But it was worth it.
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - the author has also written other great books, but if you'd ask me, it is fairly easy to get bored with his style after a few read one after another. But this one's different. The characters are truly intriguing and the plot is extremely involving. In fact while reading it I suffered what I call a "Harry Potter"-syndrome - I just couldn't stop reading, so I kept coming late everywhere and slept unnaturally short hours until I've read it all /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> .
Casey Casewin
No broom

Post by Casey Casewin »

Ok-recommended books... I'm one of those people who walk in a bookstore and spend all day going through the books if I could I would buy almost every book in the store.
I'll go by Authors

Dan Brown: I've read all of his books so far and they are excellent. Deception Point and Digital Fortress are very good. Out of the Two I liked digital fortress better because it read faster with more twist in the plots. Angels & Demons and the Da Vinci Code are awesome Angels and demons comes before the Da Vinci code I recommend reading them In order They are both really good and contrasting to each other. Both are well plotted and fast moving.

Marion Zimmer Bradley: The Avalon series is awesome I'm missing the very first book of it though. You do not necessarily have to read the books in order I didn't and they made perfectly good sense on their own. The books in this series are Priestess of Avalon <-- that's the one I'm missing. Lady of Avalon, The Forest House, The Mists of Avalon and Ancestors of Avalon. These are excellent books the Mists of Avalon is a different version of the King Author stories we are so use to hearing. The Mists of Avalon is also on DVD it was a mini series on TV about 5 years back but it is a great movie. These books are really great if you into the history and fantasy type of books.

Tolkien: Oh boy where do I start with him? Well I guess his most famous series The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings these should not need any explanation if the do where have you been the last 3-4 years living under a rock?? The Silmarillion is good very hard to get into but good (I had to restart the book a couple of times to understand it) the books of lost tales pt1 &2 is good so is the books of unfinished tales. Some shorter ones are his short stories Tales from Perilous realms. I have more of his books but I don't want to make this post extremely long.

Eoin Colfer: The Artimis Fowl series is great. My friend got me hooked on this series. I'm on the second book right now and they are brilliant. The are expertly portrayed you can get yourself glued this series in no time flat.

Stephen King: Some of his books are good others you have to watch out for. Or so my grade 12 English teacher said. I find the Majority of them pretty good. The four past midnight series is ok. Cujo still has to be my favourite book. Dream catcher is pretty good, Carrie is great and so is IT. The Dark tower series is good until you get to the ending of the last book in that series or so I'm told.

Marry Higgins Clark: I found these books kicking around my aunts cottage and read them being that I forgot the books I was reading at home. She a very good Mystery writer I've read The Second time around and another one but I can't remember the name of it. The were very interesting.

J.D. Salinger: The Catcher In the Rye I had to read this in Gr 11. Excellent book it’s hard to explain what it's about because everyone’s interpretation of it varies.

Beowulf: There is no author to this book. But it's an epic poem over 2000 lines long. It's about a Dutch Nobel man and his adventure fighting trolls, giants and dragons for being something written over 1000 years ago it's great if you get the right translated version I have the Seamus Heanly version ((the spelling could be wrong right now I lent the book out to a friend)) This book for me was hard to come by I had to drive two and a half hours to Stratford Ontario to get the book.

Homers Oddesy: If you are interested in Greek Mythology and Ancient Greece this is a great book it takes you to places in the ancient Greek world and puts a fantasy twist on the Placeless named in the book.

Dante's Inferno:
I have not read this book yet right now it's sitting in front of me waiting to be read after looking for this book for like 3 years. All of My High School teachers recommended this book to me after finding out that I have read Beowulf. This book was written originally in Latin in the 1300's again this book is difficult to read unless you get a good version of it the penguin classics books are good at explaining it as well as Robert & Jean Hollander version. The book is about Dante's trip in Hell it talks about the different parts in hell and people’s beliefs on what gate of hell different people belong in. and what each circle of hell is about. Definitely not for the younger reader I'd say be at least 15 or up because it deals with homosexuality, murder and stuff not recommended for younger readers.
Hari O'Duibhleargain
No broom

Post by Hari O'Duibhleargain »

Ehm...Beowulf isn't about a Dutch noble man; it was written before Holland came into existence, in Old English. I want to say it's about a Saxon man, or something like Saxon, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not; it's been a while. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Hari O'Duibhleargain~an381
Casey Casewin
No broom

Post by Casey Casewin »

Hari wrote:Ehm...Beowulf isn't about a Dutch noble man; it was written before Holland came into existence, in Old English. I want to say it's about a Saxon man, or something like Saxon, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not; it's been a while. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
yeah your right it's just when I was reading it my english teacher was telling me stuff about the book how where the main character if it was in today's time would have been Dutch or something like that. ((And I ws reading that in class when we were supose to be studying Hamelet. so that might have been the cause of the mixup))
Sieryn Atwater
No broom

Post by Sieryn Atwater »

I would most definitely recommend The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. It's about a girl named Susie Salmon who gets killed and watches her family from heaven. It was an amazing book. It's one of those books that you can't put down and when you do, you can't stop thinking about it. I was enraptured.

I'd also recommend the Dragonlance series. It's written by a couple authors together, based on a Dungeons and Dragons game. Definitely worth a read. There's a looot of books in that series though. I borrowed the first 3 from my band teacher and then after I returned them, I went out and bought the first one. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" /> I'm like Casey. I could spend my whole day in a book store.
. : d r e a m i n g : .
Shelly McCall
No broom

Post by Shelly McCall »

Any kind of book that has to do with history or Arthurian legend, I have probably read it and liked it. I'm a bit tired of the American history though, and have moved onto other places.

I like any book by Mr. Bernard Cornwell (Warlord Chronicles and Stonehenge- AMAZING), and Marion Zimmer Bradley. There is also Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, despite me being a person who really does not like the supernatural. I am very fond of Tracy Chevalier's writing, and have read every single one of her books (although there's only four, hehe).
Azriel Iscariot
No broom

Post by Azriel Iscariot »

Read a Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas...it is so good. One of my faves besides Harry Potter. J.D Salinger's Catcher in the Rye is amazing...I'm in love with it. Angels and Demons is good too and The Giver as well. There are so many books out there...you just have to pick something up and read it.
"Smile, it makes the world wonder what you are up to."

"You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

Blog: Azriel's Story and HOL Blog
Amelia Fairfax
No broom

Post by Amelia Fairfax »

I just read three great books this past month...

Emma Brown by by Clare Boylan & Charlotte Bronte (Bronte I think wrote the first 3 chapters before she passed away and Boylan decided to finish it.)

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Angel of Harlem by Kuwana Haulsey

Read them all!
Last edited by Amelia Fairfax on Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Amelia Fairfax~
Cassandra Rose
No broom

Post by Cassandra Rose »

Wow I read all of those books Amelia...and I thought they were all fantastic!
~C.J.R~
Lily Rose
No broom

Post by Lily Rose »

I would definetly reccomend the Daughters of the Moon series! They are soooo incredibly good! There are 12 books i think in the series! That might seem like alot but once you start reading them, you're hooked! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
made by the awesomely incredible Nic @ Sig n' Av Palace! <3
Jinny Barks
No broom

Post by Jinny Barks »

ummmmmmmmmm......one of my favourite books of all time has been:

The Da Vinci Code : Read about how , and why, a curator is murdered, about an age old society, about how Da Vinci's paintings reveal a stunning secret....and why i can't give away much more :-) /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />
vicky

edit:

ahhhhhhhhh..........almost forgot...

the Famous Five and secret seven series : About 5 and 7 kids who somehow, manage to find mysterie's every summer they are together, and even more amazingly, how they manage to solve them!!

Archie Comics : Comics about Archie and his gang!!

Enid Blyton books is general, are very well written and manage to keep a person hooked!!

vicky
Last edited by Jinny Barks on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilaina Summers
No broom

Post by Ilaina Summers »

lets see;

Eragon
Daughters of the Moon
Cirque Du Freak
Harry Potter
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
etc.

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Jennifer Reed
No broom

Post by Jennifer Reed »

I suggest:
any books by matthew reilly(temple, sandstorm, ect.)
any books by james rollins(ice hunt, excavation, amazonia,ect.)
hp of course
so you want to be a wizard series by Diane Duane
artemis fowl series
star wars books by timothy zahn
pendragon by DJ Machale
Two Princesses of Bamarre
Maximum Ride 1 and 2 by James Patterson
Outernet by Barlow/Skidmore
Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Twitches
The Giver, Number the Stars, The Messenger, Gathhering Blue by Lois Lowry
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine ?
lots more
I read ALOT so I could probably go on forever!
Last edited by Jennifer Reed on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kari Cordillia
No broom

Post by Kari Cordillia »

These books are all different than any of the others posted so far:

I don't know if anybody will actually get to this post, but I just am about to finish a book called The Cup of The World by John Dickinson, I believe he is Robin Mckinley's son,
also The Rope Maker by Peter Dickinson I really enjoyed....
The other thing I REALLY RECOMEND is the Wind on FIre Trilogy b by william Nicholson....

The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley was also a Fantastic Read! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Julie Chant
No broom

Post by Julie Chant »

Haha, there are quite a few. But I highly recommend all of them.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Darklord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones
The Chronicles of Chrestomanci by Diana Wynne Jones
The Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones

The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce
The Protector of the Small Quartet by Tamora Pierce
A Circle of Magic Quartet by Tamora Pierce
Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman

Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

The Two Princess of Bamarre by Gail Carlson Levine

The Belgariad Series by David Eddings

Whew, well those are pretty much my favorite books/series. Hope you all enjoy them as much as I have!
Willow Wandersley
No broom

Post by Willow Wandersley »

I LOVED Life of Pi. A few people I have recommended it to haven't enjoyed it though. I thought it was a great story.

I also love pretty much anything about Henry VIII and the Elizabethan period. Two favorites are I, Elizabeth and Henry VII. Henry VIII is VERY long though, not for everyone.

Return to “Book Talk”