a midsummer night's dream- shakespeare
anything shakespeare...
harry potter of course
they cage the animals at night-forgot who wrote it
lord of the rings-tolkien
go ask alice- anonymous
to kill a mockingbird-harper lee
the giver

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Last edited by Becca Chalker on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
when the power of love
overcomes the love of power,
the world will know peace.

Tags:
Cassandra Dresden
No broom

Post by Cassandra Dresden »

Have any of you read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald? I just finished reading it yesterday and I really liked it. Although, practically everyone I know hated it. They all said it was too confusing, boring, or used a weird writing style. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Anyone else out there that like it as well?
“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going to brush its teeth. So there.â€￾ –Rob Landley
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and was generally considered a bad move.â€￾ –The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, by Douglas Adams
Arwen Tonks
No broom

Post by Arwen Tonks »

I posted here before but I've just finished reading A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and it's amazing and I recommend it to everyone! Also, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is great! I'm just reading that one now! Only 47 days until HBP!!!!! <333 /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />
If I'm good, I'll go to Hogwarts when I die.
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost." - Aragorn's poem.
"Maybe I'm a Lion..." - Squall
Alexi Thomas
No broom

Post by Alexi Thomas »

Arwen Tonks wrote:I posted here before but I've just finished reading A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and it's amazing and I recommend it to everyone! Also, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is great! I'm just reading that one now! Only 47 days until HBP!!!!! <333 /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />
i agree, A Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, is a brilliant book! apart from the HP books /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />, my fave books are:

- the bell jar
- a million little pieces
- vile bodies
- the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
- the bfg (hehe)
- big fish
- strange boy

...there are so many...i cant remember them all!
lexi //hufflepuff// Proud member of S.O.T.M// al410 // Mauderette // member of the Bread Bin Tin // Lupin // Black Jenny Flint // member of the STC //
Jamie Dolohov
No broom

Post by Jamie Dolohov »

right now im reading this trilogy by bernard cornwell, that takes place during the hundred years war...its really good because its really historically acurate, but also is really interesting and excellently written...if you like mediaeval history you will love it!
Last edited by Jamie Dolohov on Tue May 31, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie Dolohov/ ja522/ Slytherin

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one, and one is three; and yet that the one is not three, and the three are not one." -Thomas Jefferson

made by Tambaqui at the Sig n Av Palace
Natalie James
No broom

Post by Natalie James »

My favorite books are the Arthurian Saga by Mary Stewart, A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, and (obviously) the Harry Potter Series. I have so many other favourite books but those are my top three. Another one i like is His Dark Materials. I liked the first book of that the best though. My favorite HP book is definitely the fourth one. I cannot wait for the sixth to come out. July 16th, Im soooo excited!

Natalie James | na600 | RAVENCLAW!|

Sig n' Av Made by Wonderful, Talented, Patient Pyrus from Sig n' Av Palace! Thanks!
Crystal Key
No broom

Post by Crystal Key »

I don't have favorite books, there are just too many to choose from! So here are my favorite authors...

-Tamora Pierce

-J.K. Rowling

-Christopher Padollini

-Cornilia Funke

...they all rule!
Josie Monkelly
No broom

Post by Josie Monkelly »

You know what I really enjoy reading? The Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. Those books are downright addicting! I can't wait for book #10 to come around, book #9 was really full of suspenses and I want to know what's going to happen next!

Even J.K. Rowling enjoys this series. I'm telling you, this series is just awesome, if you're into vampire stories and stuff. Great stuff Darren Shan has to offer.
Kaitlyn Morrell
No broom

Post by Kaitlyn Morrell »

I've only like two series of books and they are:

K.A. Applegate(animorphs)
R.L. Stine(Goosebumps)

Goose bumps series 2000 is the best you got to read them!!

SERLIOUSY! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Thanks for Reading!!!!!!!
Jessica Marie
No broom

Post by Jessica Marie »

Obviously, I love Harry Potter, but besides that I also really like some of the books I have been required to read for school. Books such as:

- The BFG
- Holes
- The Giver
- Animal Farm
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- And Then There Were None (I really liked this one)

I also ended up reading the Cheetah Girls books after I found out the movie was based on them.

The books are better.
Thanks to Talya Mamush at the Sig N' Av Palace!
Gryffindor/Second Year/je561
Alentia Crystalis
No broom

Post by Alentia Crystalis »

Harry Potter obviously...but I'm also a big fan of:

the LOTR series
Sirena, Lirael, Abhorsen
The Portrait of Dorian Gray (the BEST classic there is)
Gossip Girl series
Night
Romeo and Juliet (yeah, yeah)
Tale of Two Cities (but what a struggle to read!)
and The Scarlet Letter.
Gryffindor <3
Illusen Jean
No broom

Post by Illusen Jean »

My fave is The Royal Diaries: Jahanara.
Emma Bott
No broom

Post by Emma Bott »

We now have a nice brand new sub-area for all non Harry Potter books, so you can discuss them in here.
Just start a new topic for each book you want to discuss.
Ethan Cottrell
No broom

Re: Book talk

Post by Ethan Cottrell »

Well I have to say the best series I have read is the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Since that is a series, my favorite stand alone book is Ender's Game which is an absolute masterpiece and if you've seen the movie just know that the book is sooooooooooo much better.
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

My absolute favorite book is "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas. I love everything about the book. It is a wonderful read but I think everything Alexander Dumas writes is amazing!

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:
Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Marie Dark »

I really enjoyed the DaVinci Code series and the Twilight series. So before you judge me and put me down..... I like books of all different genres.... because I like to read, that's why....
So, if I dissappoint in reading this forum message.... then move on....
To the rest, "The Code" has a bundle of Historical Facts.... on top of ... "What Ifs".... lol
Again, my apologies for an Echo, if this series has been mentioned before...
Good Readings Everyone :wub:
Aloe Lightfoot
No broom

Post by Aloe Lightfoot »

Such a hard question to answer for a bookworm :P

My all time favorite book has always been and always will be Pride and Prejudice from Jane Austen. her other book, Persuasion, is also a favorite of mine.

I am currently reading through the Game of Thrones series and its very difficult to get through but its very fun to read as well! I am also starting the Bridgestone series soon and I hope its just as good as the show has been on Netflix!

Another favorite of mine would have to be Song of Achilles. I always highly recommend it to everyone I know. :)
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Highly recommend the Werewolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater. I am hoping to re-read it but I am still behind with all the books I bought over the...well..years! :lol:
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Too many amazing books around to be able to decide which is my absolute favourite. (Thank goodness I'm not being shipwrecked on an island and can only have one book with me- it would be a nightmare. ) Some I absolutely love and re- read are:

Le Morte D'Arthur~Thomas Malory
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight ~Anon
Midsummer Night's Dream~William Shakespeare
Sense and Sensibility ~Jane Austen
Oliver Twist~Charles Dickens
Great Expectations ~Charles Dickens
Jamaica Inn ~Daphne Du Maurier
Father Brown~G.K. Chesterton
The Da Vinci Code~Dan Brown
Sam Reaper
No broom

Post by Sam Reaper »

I have a few,
My go to favourite that I read at least twice a year is The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
My favourite book series is Harry Potter.
My favourite fantasy books are the Red Queen series.
My favourite crime book is The Rules For Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson.
But my favourite author is Terry Pratchett and I am working on collecting all of his Discworld books.
It's very hard to decide which one trumps the others.

Return to “Book Talk”