Book talk

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Jasmine Flores

Post by Jasmine Flores »

Hmmm, well, of course I LOVE the Harry Potter series. These are the books that I really love to read besides that:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Little Princess
(I don't know the author's name that wrote this book, but I've read a few other books from that guy, like the Secret Garden)
The Chronicles Of Narnia
The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes
A Series Of Unfortunate Events
Books by Roald Dahl
A Christmas Carol
Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Those are some the books I read. They're real page-turners if you ask me. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Tags:
Avery Ackart
No broom

Post by Avery Ackart »

Obviously the Harry Potter series would be on my favorites list, but besides those, I like:
The Golden Compass series - Phililp Pullman
Sandra Hill's Viking series
Love's Labors Lost - Shakespeare
From the Corner of His Eye - Dean Koontz
Inspector Morse series - Colin Dexter
Just about anything by James Patterson

I've read most of Stephen King's books and the books in his Dark Tower series are my absolute favorites.
Phoenicia Mellyn
No broom

Post by Phoenicia Mellyn »

I like reading these books mentioned below.If it's a series I'll put an 'S' in bracket so you know,just to make life easier. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Harry Potter by JK Rowling (we all know that)(s)
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman(s)
The Bitterbynde(s)
The Phantom Tollbooth

I like mostly fantasy books.The Bitterbynde books are one of my favourites - there are three,The Ill Made Mute,The Lady of the Sorrows and The Battle of Evernight.Feel free to PM if you read those too. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'm currently reading Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday by Garth Nix.They are great books.
Last edited by Phoenicia Mellyn on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

^Signature and avatar by me^
Phoenicia Mellyn | First Year | Gryffindor | 2005
Tyler Wood
No broom

Post by Tyler Wood »

my favorite book would have to be...

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klaus

and of course I love the Harry Potter series
~*Tye*~

Tyler Wood | First Year | Slytherin | ty555

When we were little we were told to color inside the lines but if we live that way, then whats the point of living?

Once you have hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

. . . Always reach for the stars . . . . you're bound to grasp something. . .
Samantha Elisabeth
No broom

Post by Samantha Elisabeth »

I am such a complete book worm (and so proud of it! : )) But my favourite book of all time is Flowers In the Attic by Virginia Andrews. But here are my favourite series -

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Gossip Girl by Cecily Von Ziegasar
The Tomorrow Series By John Marsden
The Dollangander Family Series By Virginia Andrews
The Harry Potter Series By 'You-Know-Who' : p LOL
The Wicca SeriesBy Cate Tiernan
The Charmed Series (various authors)

I also love Romeo and Juliet, Winter by John Marsden Finding Cassie Crazy and 'Feeling Sorry for Cecilia' by Jacklyn Moriety (I'm not sure if that's how you spell the authors name) and Throwaway Daughter
Carlos Lerma
No broom

Post by Carlos Lerma »

One of my favorite books is One hunfred years of solitude by Garcia Marques. The alchemist By Coelho and The adventures of Huckelberry Finn. Thoise couild be my top three
Made by Morgy at the Hogsmeade's ID Card Shop
Dillon Byrne
No broom

Post by Dillon Byrne »

My favorite books are the Harry Potter Books, especially OOtP.

[If you could make longer posts, it would make me really happy /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Why are the HP books your favourite? Why especially OotP? We all love HP here, so add a bit to the conversation /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> You'll enjoy it! I promise!]
Last edited by Dillon Byrne on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hufflepuff (Second Year, di550, USA, Half-Blood)
Wand: 12 inches, Maple, Pheonix Tail Feather
Pet: Snow Owl named Belmont
Dani Myrrdin
No broom

Post by Dani Myrrdin »

I love to read and as such have found many books that I enjoy. That being said though, I have to say that there are three authors whose work I absolutely love. One of those of course being JKR and her Harry Potter series. The other two authors are Laurell K. Hamilton and Terry Goodkind. LKH has two different series... the Anita Blake, Vampire Executioner series, and the Merry Gentry, Detective series. TG has just one series currently running... The Sword of Truth series. He is an excellent writer and I would recommend giving him a try. Although, I must warn you... if you think OotP is a huge book... most of his books make it look small. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Happy reading!

edit

Also, let me add that although I have listed these authors as my absolute favorites, there are others that I love... Dan Brown is a very good mystery author and Terry Brooks' Magical Kingdom series is excellent. I have several hundred to a thousand books, (and this is after I weeded through them and gave about half away /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) so narrowing it down futher would take a lot of time and many rolls of parchment. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Last edited by Dani Myrrdin on Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.
Tonya Snape

Post by Tonya Snape »

I would have to say that my favourite books are the harry potter books (of course) and Coraline, i love ghost books.
Jamie Dolohov
No broom

Post by Jamie Dolohov »

Hiya

There are so many books I love it is not even funny...so ill only name a few...I love Timeline, by Michael Crichton. Its about a group of historians who use quantum physics to go back in time to the middle ages. I also love 1984, by George Orwell. Its a play on communist revolution and its extremes. The Quarters trilogy, by Tanya Huff. Its about using the magic in the elements. The Farseer and Tawny man trilogies by Robin Hobb. About different magics and life as an illigitimate son to the king. Wow there are so many more its ont even funny.

Jamie
Jamie Dolohov/ ja522/ Slytherin

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one, and one is three; and yet that the one is not three, and the three are not one." -Thomas Jefferson

made by Tambaqui at the Sig n Av Palace
Abigail Lupin
No broom

Post by Abigail Lupin »

Favourite books ... hmmm, this could take a while.

I love the Harry Potter books (of course!) but also:
- the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett - nearly 30 books and counting, /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />,
- the Unfortunate Series of Events books by Lemony Snickett,
- the Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin (there are three books in the series so far and these are huge books - think Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix three times....)
- a very wide assortment of historical mystery series (I like the fact that crimes have to be solved based only on what the 'detective' can see or hear -- there is no DNA evidence, no forensics unit.

I also have a longtime affection for the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery, although it's very old-fashioned (well, it was written around the turn of the century, I think). /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Also, I like some of the classic science-fiction writers: Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein are the ones whose names come immediately to mind; and I enjoy historical fiction and some historical fact books (preferably about anything from the Renaissance backwards in time.

I like reading in general, and have a huge collection of books -- periodically I go through them and get rid of some, but many are 'keepers' that I'll never give away.
Last edited by Abigail Lupin on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

'... and tiny little ears,' Luna was saying, 'a bit like a hippo's, Daddy says, only purple and hairy. And if you want to call them, you have to hum; they prefer a waltz, nothing too fast ...'
Phoenicia Mellyn
No broom

Post by Phoenicia Mellyn »

Now really,I could not find my post which I posted here sometime ago,so I thought I'd just add my new list of favourites.I'm not going to list by series as now I'd rather write them all down..So.. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Harry Potter series-JKR (My favourite is the Goblet of Fire)

Sabriel-Garth Nix

Lirael-Garth Nix

Abhorsen-Garth Nix

Mister Monday-Garth Nix

Grim Tuesday-Garth Nix

Shade's Children-Garth Nix

Wow that is lots of Garth Nix books /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> And still more to come!!

Amazon Adventure-Willard Price

South Sea Adventure-Willard Price

The Ill Made Mute-Cecilia Dart-Thornton

The Lady of The Sorrows-Cecilia Dart-Thornton

The Battle of Evernight-Cecilia Dart-Thornton

I have more,but if I were to type them all out,this list would stretch for miles.Anyone who is interested to know what other books I read may PM!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Heheh.

^Signature and avatar by me^
Phoenicia Mellyn | First Year | Gryffindor | 2005
Daine Sarrasri
No broom

Post by Daine Sarrasri »

There is no way I could ever say what my favorite book is. There's way too many!

I have a couple of favorite authors and books though.

Tamora Pierce-I love anything by her and I have everything shes written

Anne McCaffery- shes one of my favorites

His Dark Materials- and alot of other htings by Phillip Pullman

Inkheart- I just read this an its already one of my favorite books of all time (Cornelia Funke)

Mel- I have no idea who wrote this, only that its good

The Incarnations of Immortality- I can't remember Terry Brooks maybe?
-Daine
Nothing applies to me!-SwD
Adelaide Starr

Post by Adelaide Starr »

last night i started reading No Greater Love by Danielle Steel
it's sooo good~ i havent finished it but it is soo sad~ i cried! Only HER books would make me cry in the beginning of the book! Like Johnny Angel, she wrote that too. so sad.

here's a summary of what i've read so far. dont worry, i wont give anything away!

It was the maiden voyage of the TITANIC, the greatest ship ever built, and in one fatal, unforgettable night, the sea shattered the lives and future of an extraordinary family, the Winfields.

Edwina Winfield, returning from her engagement trip to England with her fiance and her family, instantly beomces a woman mourning the death of her parents and the man she loved. She returns to San Francisco with her five younger siblings, ranging in age from 2 to 16 years.. (Edwina's 20)

That's the first half of the summary that was on the back of the book. and here's the last sentence of that summary

For twelve years Edwina carefully avoids any romantic involvements, but as each child sets off on his or her own - to Hollywood, to Europe, and elsewhere - Edwina frees herself from the ghosts of those she loved and lost on the TITANIC
Last edited by Adelaide Starr on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna Dracodine
No broom
Location: If home is where the heart is, then Firenze, Italia is home. I left my heart by the Arno.

Post by Donna Dracodine »

I love this topic reading through these is great, right before the summer-I now have my summer reading list.

Beware I'm going to town on this I love these all too much and maybe someone will see and find ones they love like I have reading books off this long repetative list. he he he

My number one is and always will be James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl it was the first book that got me excited about reading.

There is one that still is dear to me but I read it as a child and haven't been able to remember the title or find the book if anyone can name it from this, please pm me:
Its about this little girl and these fairies that like live in a rose bush and in one sequence a fairy asks to taste her tears because of what she had been told about human tears and how they taste. This may be vage and off ball but I really want to find it.

Of Course:
LOTR
Harry Potters

Life longs:

Serious fiction-(tear jerkers/thinkers)
number 1: Artist's Way (good for painting to the performing arts-creative bandaid/makeover)
Palm Beach Prep Series
All Jack Weyland's Books (their titles are all the charaters names)[Cheyenne good very I had to stop reading it to calm down enough to finish]
Enchantress of Crumbledown-Donald R. Marshall(beautiful sweet and sad)
the New Year-Pearl S. Buck
Six Months to Live-Lurlene Mc Daniel
Best Friends Don't Tell Lies-Linda Barr
The Only Alien on the Planet-Kristen Randle(hard to read-emotionally- but good)
The Jane Austin books
The Stanbroke Girls-Fiona Hill(along the lines of Jane Austin-Regency England)
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
Chicken Soup for the Soul books
Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery
-also The Story Girl(How Kissing was Discovered-its cute if you like the anne books you'll like them too)

Mysteries-(can't remember most these authors)
True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle-AVI
Moon smoke or smoke moon (not sure)
Ghost Moon-Karen Robards
Lighthouse Murder
Ancient Roses(Mystery-little Romance)
The early Nancy Drew Books like:
-secret of shadow ranch-secret of red gate farm-mystery at Lilac Inn
lots I can't remember too

Fantasy fiction-(I'm very picky when it comes to these)
Tuck Everlasting
Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis favorite
-Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Anne McCaffrey only her the Dragon Riders of Pern books
Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time series)
Ender books-Orson Scott Card(fav-ender's shadow -just is)

There is one that still is dear to me but I read it as a child and haven't been able to remember the title or find the book if anyone can name it from this, please pm me:
Its about this little girl and these fairies that like live in a rose bush and in one sequence a fairy asks to taste her tears because of what she had been told about human tears and how they taste. This may be vage and off ball but I really want to find it.
Life is too short for hate so fill it with love!
Arwen Tonks
No broom

Post by Arwen Tonks »

Hey! I think I posted here way back when I had my old computer... I have since then had to do without the internet for several long, boring months and so I have a lot of new books to add to my list of amazing books that everyone should take the time to read and enjoy... if they want to...
So, here goes:
1 - Eragon - it's about a boy who is 15 and he finds an egg that turns out to be a dragon and he becomes a dragon rider.

2 - Ender's Game - i re-read that and thought, 'wow' once again because it is amazing and I will write it again because no doubt, i went on and on about it in my last post...

3 - Confessions of Georgia Nicolson - they are so very funny!! It's a diary of a 14 year old girl, four diaries actually, i think... there may be more... Anyway! They are really funny, I was crying with laughter. A cat called Angus! *shakes head and wipes tears*

4 - That's actually only seven books... I was sure I read more... I am half way through GOF after re-reading the rest of the books for I don't know... millions of times! Oh yeah, does fanfiction count here? My friend gave me some HP fanfiction she printed off, literally thousands of pages... thank you geoff* they were great but obviously nothing on JKR and they weren't making any money or anything from the books... just to keep me occupied whilst waiting for the 6th book!

Anyway, I havn't been on in months because my computer broke and now I have a new one so, sorry fellow Gryffs, I only got a few house points at the beginning and now I've 'dropped out' of classes and I didn't actually mean to but yeah... it's my fault... I'll find other ways to get house points!
Byebye!
Arwen
If I'm good, I'll go to Hogwarts when I die.
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost." - Aragorn's poem.
"Maybe I'm a Lion..." - Squall
Cassandra Dresden
No broom

Post by Cassandra Dresden »

You've read some fanfiction? I do as well. Some of the ideas people come up with are pretty, um... different though. It is a great way to pass the time before the HBP release though, since most fanfiction authors are writing their own versions of the 6th book. Anyone else out there read fanfiction?
“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going to brush its teeth. So there.â€￾ –Rob Landley
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and was generally considered a bad move.â€￾ –The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, by Douglas Adams
Arwen Tonks
No broom

Post by Arwen Tonks »

It depends with fanfiction, some are really, really good but in others the characters are totally out of character. You have to pick the good ones. There's one really good website for HP fanfiction but I don't know whether I can write it hear so just PM me if you want the address. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
If I'm good, I'll go to Hogwarts when I die.
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost." - Aragorn's poem.
"Maybe I'm a Lion..." - Squall
Tulojow Nagde
No broom

Post by Tulojow Nagde »

The following isn't a too eclectic list of books:

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />

- Current fav bad-day-hide-under-the-covers book: Dream a Little Dream, Piers Anthony and Julie Brady
- Favorite series left over since childhood: The Black Stallion. Love them all
- Second favorite series: Secret of the Unicorn Queen
- Anything for Billy, Larry McMurtry
- Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry
- Dispossessed, Ursula K. LeGuin
- The Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov
- Brothers Karamazov, Dostoevsky
- Calvin and Hobbes
Sometimes life gives us lessons sent in ridiculous packaging.
- Dar Williams
Never Headbutt A Unicorn!Image
Avery Brookshire
No broom

Post by Avery Brookshire »

I've read sooo many good ones that it's hard to remember them all...but these are my favorites right now:

-Harry Potter (all, but PoA is my all-time fave!! Yay Sirius and Lupin!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> )
-Lord of the Rings
-A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (<---just finished, it's really cool!!)
-Piratica
-Tuck Everlasting
-The Princess Bride
-Ella Enchanted
-The Music of Dolphins
-Black Beauty
*Yo ho, yo -ouch!- a pirate's life for me*

"Of course the Neverlands vary a good deal. John's had a lagoon with flamingo's flying over it at which John was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it."

~I'm having Sirius denial~

Return to “Book Talk”