Getting Into Harry Potter

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Oscar Sanchez
No broom

Post by Oscar Sanchez »

Well if I have to be honest I felt no curiosity about HP until 2001 when SS was released and my brother invited me to see it. None of us had any idea what was it about exactly but I accepted reluctantly. After I saw I was fascinated, my brother and my sister gave me the four books for Christmas and I began SS on December 25 morning, I liked them so much that on January 6 I had already read the four books, those were two great weeks. About one month ago, perhapd less, I could finally buy OoP because it hadn't arrived yet and I read it in four days.
Harry Potter books are marvelous, what else can I say?
One ring to rule, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness, bind them!
Ravenclaw is knowledge, knowledge is power
Rhia Keoko
No broom

Post by Rhia Keoko »

When I was about seven, my father saw the first Harry Potter book in the supermarket, and offered to buy it and read it to me. I shrugged and agreed, not really caring that much. Once he took it home, though, we both sort of forgot about it, and I didn't notice it again until about 8 or 9 months later. I was bored, so I asked him to start it. He read about two chapters a night, and we got through it in a few months, since he didn't read every night. We got through the first and second together, then my mum, who had been reading behind us, took over. She read me the third and fourth. By the time OotP came out, I was ten, and I read it myself at camp. It took me five days. I've been a Potterholic ever since I read book one with my father, and I plan to be one for a long, long time. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Rhia Keoko
Hufflepuff
rh507
USA
Last edited by Rhia Keoko on Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhia Keoko | Second Year Huffie | rh507 | Egg Salad Queen | News Reporter for the Pensieve
Fallyn Amory

Post by Fallyn Amory »

When I was in fifth grade Harry Potter first came out and some people in my class absolutly loved it. I didn't like to read at the time and didn't really understand that Harry Potter was such an amazing book. In six grade one of my friends told me she read it and more and more people were reading it. Finally the summer after 6th grade I read the second book. I started with the second book by accident but I delved into it and ate it up in a weekend. For a 12 year old I think that is pretty fast.

I read all the Harry Potter books that summer but I after they were all done I kind of wasn't as into it as I got into them later. I reread them tons and loved the movies. In April before the 5th book came out I remember being obsessive again. I had read my first fanfic and I actually thought it was the real order of phoenix. Silly me...

Order of Phoenix finally came out and by that time I was completely obsessive. I love Harry Potter and I know I always will.

Fallyn Amory ( ravenclaw, fa501, USA )
Prof. Audiaa Martin
No broom

Post by Prof. Audiaa Martin »

I had recently taken all my belongings and packed them into my car. There was little more than a me-sized area left vacant in the front seat when I was done packing and began driving across the country (US) to begin my first ‘real’ job as a lab technician. When I arrived, my apartment had barely more than an air mattress and a TV, and no cable. I got two stations. One was PBS, and the other was playing the news.

I watched a live report from a local Barnes and Nobel. A bunch of children dressed in robes and fake glasses were getting measured for wands (measured between their nostrils none the less). If that weren’t strange enough, they were spending the night at the bookstore so they could get their copies of “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fireâ€Â￾ the moment it went on sale. I thought this was quite absurd, waiting up all night for a book. By the time they got it, they’d be too tired to read it. (yeah right)

The next day, I went about running errands. I got my driver’s license, registered my car, got a bank account, and my library card. I went to browse the stacks for a novel to read that night and was automatically pulled to the Star Trek section. There was a separate spinny rack just for Trek paperbacks, and there haphazardly placed right on top of “The Entropy Effect,â€Â￾ was “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.â€Â￾ Of course I couldn’t resist finding out what all this nose-measuring nonsense was about, so I checked it out.

I read the entire book that night. I loved all the magical details that enriched what was already a great story. I was drawn in to poor Harry’s story and had to find out what the next thing he would be expected to do would be. I love angst! Of course, when I went back to the library they didn’t have any other Harry Potter books unless they were hiding in the classical music section or some such place. I didn’t search the entire branch (though I came close). Defeated, I went home and immediately ordered all the books available at the time from Amazon and waited anxiously for them to arrive.

Shortly after ordering, the third book arrived, and I couldn’t wait to read it even though the second one had yet to arrive. So, I read about Sirius and Azkaban before the Chamber of Secrets. I specifically remember references to Hagrid being sent to Azkaban (that happened in the second book) that I didn’t understand completely because I hadn’t read it yet. A day later, I received the second book, and then about a week went by, and the fourth book didn’t show up. I usually get messages in my mail box that inform me if I have a package. I didn’t get any messages. I went to the office, and they said that I did have a package, and the manager went to get it. The box was just the right size to hold my Goblet of Fire, but when the manager ‘tossed’ it to me, I realized that it wasn’t a thick Potter book. No, it was a pencil. Seriously, I got *one* drawing pencil (that I ordered to make my order over a certain amount so that I could get a discount) in a Goblet of Fire-sized box. I was pretty devastated (in that amused this isn’t really important sort of way).

I had called Amazon and done everything I could do aside from going to a book store and buying another copy, when the office called me and said there was a package that had been sitting there for a week that I should come pick up. AGG! Well, it was there all along, but the manager hadn’t been able to find it. So, I did get my Goblet of Fire, and I read it very quickly. I remember re-reading the Voldemort in the graveyard scene because I wasn’t sure if it were real or a dream.

Thus far, I had gotten all of my Potter in concentrated form. I hadn’t had to wait (more than a few days) and had become somewhat spoiled. I wanted more, but the prospects of the next book coming soon were not good (turned out to be three years or so, so I’m glad I didn’t just sit back and wait for it.) At this time, I started writing fan fiction. I had previously written some Star Trek stories and had fun with it, and I decided to try writing Harry Potter. I found many forums on the Internet to read and share fan fiction, and I was excited to communicate with people all over the world. Writing fan fiction became a sort of outlet for me after frustrating days at work. Grr there were a lot of those, but thankfully I could come home and take it out on poor Harry. I wouldn’t say that Harry Potter inspired me to go to move on from that tech. job, but it did keep me sane during my first job, which was required to get me where I am today.

Audiaa Martin (Ravenclaw, au503, USA)
~~Accio Brains!~~
HOL Pen Pal Club | Writing Workshop
Stokely Dragomir Sekhemet
No broom

Post by Stokely Dragomir Sekhemet »

The first time I picked up a Harry Potter book was around November of 2003. I had seen the first 2 movies without ever reading the books before hand and I felt pretty guilty about it. So when the time was nearing for the 3rd one I decided it was time. I went to the book store, walked in, and went straight to the "children's section" where they had a whole table dedicated to the books. My intention was to just buy the 3rd one and if I enjoyed it I'd read the rest... Well, just looking at them made me change my mind and piling the books 2, 3, 4, and 5 in my arms I carried them over to my Mom and asked if I could just get the whole lot of them. My Mom, being a big reader and loving it when I get so invested in a book I can't even focus when someone is talking to me, smiled and told me yes. I went home that night with my new collection of books and dug around for the 1st one which had been buried when I had cleaned my room and I found it in a box full of books that I would be setting back up on my shelves another day. I made a special place on my shelf for my Harry Potter books then took the 3rd one to my living room sat down and began to read. I started the book with the intention of having as a side distraction, something to do on slow weekends and empty weekdays. I thought it would take me until the 3rd movie came out.
1 month later I had read the 3rd, 4th, and 5th book and I was obsessed. I decided to read the 1st and 2nd one later (feeling guilty again) and began reading the 1st one WHILE reading the 3rd one AGAIN after seeing the movie.
Now, the day the movie came out... I was crazy. I drove all my friends and family nuts talking about it and they were GLAD it was finally the day. I decided to show my Harry Potter support and ordered a Gryffindor school robe with the tie and I dug around in my Mom's closest for a white button-up shirt and found a pair of black (but pin-stripped) pants and wore my outfit to the theatre. It turned out, to my surprise, I was the only one wearing the full get up. People had worn "Hogwarts" shirts, "Muggle" shirts, and even a shirt I had that showed Sirius Black in Azkaban (which I loaned to my friend who wanted to sport a subtle Harry Potter supporter pride) but I was the ONLY one in a robe with a house tie. At first I was a little embarrassed because some people were laughing and pointing but later, an entire group of girls approached me and said, "I LOVE your outfit! Where'd you get it?" I smiled and told them and they said again how much they loved it then turned to their friends and said, "See? It wasn't THAT hard!" I realized at that moment they had been TALKING about how much they loved my outfit but were too shy to tell me. After that I looked for every excuse to get up and get something while waiting for the movie to start to show off my Gryffindor robe. Loving the movie, especially the way Gary Oldman played Sirius and the way David Thewlis played Lupin, (though parts of the movie were flawed compared to the book) I went home being glad I had done it. I figured there were some people who had wanted to and didn't being too embarrassed but I had and I felt great.
I've been a die hard fan since the day I began reading the book. There was a time that I felt sad and empty because I couldn't actually attend Hogwarts where I SO wanted to be. That's when I jumped online and searched for a Hogwarts I could go to on the computer. That's how I found HOL. Ever since I don't feel empty and sad anymore because I'm SURROUNDED by people like me who wanted to go to Hogwarts and learn magic. People who love Harry Potter and lots who know much more than I do about the books who I can learn from. I can even venture into Hogsmeade and buy a Butterbear or an animal companion. I feel like my hole has been filled and I'm happy and feel like a real Witch (as I KNOW I am). I have Hogwarts now, and I have people who love the Wizarding World and want to be a part of it as much as I do.
Now, I eagerly await the 4th movie, hearing rumors about it and looking up information on it on the net... But mostly, I eagerly await the 6th book. I can't wait for the next adventure with Harry, Hermione, and Ron. I can't wait to see what mischief Fred and George will be up to with their joke shop, what crazy creature Hagrid will introduce us to next, what vile thing Snape and Draco will do to Harry and how mad they will make me, even more than before, whether Sirius is really dead or not (hopefully NOT), what the Order will be up to, how intense the Quidditch matches will be and what new characters we'll meet, and what wise and amazing things Dumbledore will do and say next. J.K. Rowling made me remember why I wanted to be a writer and she made me mad too that I hadn't thought of these amazing books! *LoL* I wanted to charm people the way she had, I wanted to put a spell on people and make them want to read more and more the way she had. Now, I'm eagerly awaiting to see what magic J.K. Rowling will fill my Heart with this time. Eagerly awaiting to feel alive the minute I crack open the new book and fall into that reality, just with the power of my own mind. J.K. Rowling gave me a gift with her books... She made me want to write even more than before so I could make people feel as good as she had and create an invisible connection with them ALL around the world. The Harry Potter books made me feel like I could REALLY become a writer just with a flick of what was my first magic wand... My pencil.

Stokely Dragomir Sekhemet (Gryffindor, st509, USA)
Last edited by Stokely Dragomir Sekhemet on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stokely (Trinity) Dragomir Sekhemet
~* 1st Year || Gryffindor || st509 *~
Jennifer Montague

Post by Jennifer Montague »

I’ve always liked to read about magic, wizardry, mythology and the ancient world. As a matter of fact, I’m a "Book Eater".
But, when I first heard about Harry Potter, I’ve just ignored it. Maybe it was because I’ve already been fooled enough with some wizard wannabe like Paulo Coelho.
Someday in the cold 2000 winter, when I was about to give birth to my daughter, I was bored about a class strike in my college, and a colleague borrowed me "Harry Potter and The Philosopher Stone".
I read it in about fifty minutes. I felt like I’ve been missing something really important in my life. I bought this one and also the "Chamber of Secrets" in this same week.
That weekend I spent about twelve hours in a role reading them again and again.
I became absolutely anxious about the next book that (it seemed) was never ready.
When "The Goblet of Fire" came, I used to spend the days skipping college classes to read and the nights nursing my daughter.
This time I’ve realized that the next book would take longer to be published. I bought all first four books in English to fill my reading time.
Then I started reading everything related to Harry Potter, and I started making my own theories about his world.
For the 5th book I decided not to wait until the translation, and then I ordered it for the first day of sale - in England.
I spent more money in shipping than the price of the book, but it worth every cent.
In three days I was mocking my friends about what I knew about Harry Potter’s future. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Now, I’m anxious again. I’ve read all the spoilers about the new book, but this can’t fill me up. I think that only BEING at Hogwarts can make my waiting easier.
That’s how I got into Harry Potter’s world. And that’s why I’m here.

Jennifer Montague, je517, first year, Slytherin, Brazil
Ryu Isamu
No broom

Post by Ryu Isamu »

When did I get into Harry Potter? It was in Second Grade, when my teacher started reading Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone. Instantly, I loved that book. We didn't finish it before the school year ended, so that prompted me to go out and buy it, with the Chamber of Secrets. I was instanltly hooked, and read both quickly. Then came the wait for Prisoner of Azkaban. When I read it, It was the best book in the series. Darker, but also more involving. It was horrible to wait for the fourth book, but finally, my mom bought it for me, and I read it, loving every word. The wait for the fifth book was even worse, but when I finally got my hands on it, I was so excited. Iread for the rest of the day, and even cried when -that person- was killed. Now I have to wait for book 6 to come out, and I cannot wait.

When Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone came out in theatres, I immediatly went to see it for my birthday, on the first day it was out. That movie wasn't as good as I expected, but then came Chamber of Secrets, and it was just amazing. Then came the wait for Prosoner of Azkaban. The movie was made in a different style, jumping from scene to scene instead of a more linear story, but it was still great.

I even ended up buying the Harry Potter game, and I am anxiously waiting to get Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, because it's now in one of my favorite Genres, RPG.

The way Harry Potter infulinced my life, was that it opened the whole Fantasy genre of books to me, and I have been reading many of them since I finished the first two. This is truly an amazing series, and I can't wait for Book 6 to be released!

Ryu Isamu ( Gryffindor, ry502, USA)
Lilly Stargazer
No broom

Post by Lilly Stargazer »

I actually got into Harry Potter due to one of my kindergarten students 3 years ago. She had gotten CoS and was slowly reading it (vey slowly) but coming in each day to excitedly tell me what had happened. My other two sisters had been reading it, so I thought, what the heck let's give it a try! I was hooked! I took a weekend to read the first three books and luckily enough GoF had recently come out, so went and got that also! I was frustrated (as was everyone else) waiting for OOP, but hubby went out at midnight release night to get me a copy! I had it read in 2 days!

I'm sad to say that I didn't get to see the CoS in the theatres, but made sure I saw the next two (opening nigt for PoA). I now have both movies on DVD (soon 3 yeah!) and have played all three video games. I only recently became involved with HP online, searching for any and all sites about it. I've never been into role playing so none of those sights seemed interesting, but the minute i checked this out I knew I had to join in to continue my Harry Potter (unhealthy) obsession! lol

Lilly Stargazer (Hufflepuff, li525, USA)
BearSister to Tarma!
Thanks to Herms for my siggy!!
Tarsis Salvatore
No broom

Post by Tarsis Salvatore »

Well...

My relationship with HP world started as a distraction in a troublesome time.
I ´ve just separated from my wife and I was unemployed.

To make things harder, I also had my little daughter to rise.
I barely had money to afford my food and I had no one to take care of the baby in order of getting a job. I had almost no help from anyone. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But I´ve always been a book-lover, so I started reading HP a little time before the movie came to the theaters. These times were so hard in my life that HP was my only kind of joy. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I took my 3 year old child to watch the movie. She was charmed. I used to tell her the stories, in spite of her little understanding of that. HP and his world of full of magic was kind of a light in our lives. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

But as everything in life changes, so we started to recover, little by little. As time gone by, I´ve found a job again and got a better life.
Two years later I was alive again, I could afford the whole collection of the books, my daughter has grown up and now the magic of this world is still following us.

Fui.
Abração a todos e um beijo para a Jennifer e todas as gurias da Sonserina.

Tarsis Salvatore, Slytherin, SP - Brazil
Last edited by Tarsis Salvatore on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lin Yen
No broom

Post by Lin Yen »

I first read the book Harry Potter after I watched the first movie. I was greatly intrigued by it all and was thoroughly fascinated. So, I decided to pop down into Borders to purchase a copy.

Personally, I feel that its because the book is such an easy read and very action packed, that's why its so interesting. The plot and various twists in the book also makes it very unpredictable and hypes up the suspense factor. It is a wonderfulo book if you just want to read something a little light to relax. Its very different from other books based on magical fiction like The Lord of the Rings which tend to be very heavy and requires a lot of the reader's concentration. I appauld Rowling on her easy graceful style yet not overly simplistic captivating storylines. I can't wait for the next movie to be out and the next book as well.

just a question, how many of you here feel that the movie does justice to the book?

I for one feels that the main gists of the movie follows the book very closely. but due to the time constraits, some important factors and scenes get left off. somehow, i believe that it makes reading the book much more interesting after you've watched the movie and not the other way round. as the movie helps you to imagine the scenes mentioned in the book and makes the entire experience of reading a more vivid one. also, the book explains a lot more things that occur in the movie, giving you a realisation of what was actually going on.

As a whole, an enjoyable read.
Jamie Dolohov
No broom

Post by Jamie Dolohov »

Why did I get into Harry Potter?

Well, in my seventh year of elementary school my teacher attempted to make book reports fun so she invented something called lit-circles. Durring lit-circles, you nad a group of four other people who would read the same book and discuss it each week. By doing this kids learned to like to read and didnt get bored as easily with answering tedious questions as in a normal book report.

I was put in the group that read "Harry Potter and the Phiosophers Stone." Since the first chapter of the book i've been utterly nad completely obsessed. I mean that. I lost count after I had read each book thirteen time. It should be around like twenty or something now but I'm not entirely sure.

I would just like to thank Ms. Mclean, my grade seven teacher, for makeing me enter the Harry Potter lit-circle at the age of 12, (I was quite reluctant at the time.) I am now 17 and going into grade 12! If It wasnt for her I wouldnt have read it and probably think that people who are as obsessed with Harry Potter as I am, were freaks!

And yes, I am proud to be a Harry Potter freak!!!

Jamie Dolohov (Slytherin, ja522, Canada)
Last edited by Jamie Dolohov on Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie Dolohov/ ja522/ Slytherin

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one, and one is three; and yet that the one is not three, and the three are not one." -Thomas Jefferson

made by Tambaqui at the Sig n Av Palace
Guinevere Eytinge
No broom

Post by Guinevere Eytinge »

why did i get into harry potter?

well i was up at the cottage with my cousin and she had read the books. she had made this game kinda like monopoly, and i didn't know any of the answers so that got me interested. i don't remember how long after, but it was a couple summers later, and she had the movie up at the cottage. we watched it soooooo many times in that week. so i got home and bought the books and the movie. i have been obsessed ever since...my one friend jamie and i are seriously obsessed, it's not funny.

i've read thebooks and watched the movies soooo many times now, i stopped keeping count of how many times. i know i've read the books at least ten times each...i love them sooooooooo much and i can't wait until the next one comes out. i'm almost 17 right now and going into grade 12. if it wasn't for my oh so loveable cousin lauren, i would never have gotten into harry potter and i would like to thank her for it.

and as my dear friend jamie dolohov, i m proud to be harry potter freak!!!

Guinevere Eytinge (Slytherin, gu505, Canada)
Last edited by Guinevere Eytinge on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen Tonks
No broom

Post by Arwen Tonks »

I was 10 years old when I read, what I class as, my first real book. The first book that I read of the fantasy genre, the first book I thoroughly enjoyed and couldn’t put down. It was not Harry Potter but non other than JRR Tolkien’s, The Hobbit. I recommended this to my friend who was 14 at the time and she read it and loved it, we were then both completely hooked on reading fantasy fictions. It was not I but my friend who read Harry Potter first, we always read the same books, telling each other of the books we had read and discussing them, but we could never find one that we could honestly say was better than The Hobbit. We met up with each other one day, I can remember very clearly even though this was over 5 years ago, she came running to me and when she reached me, all flustered, the first thing she said was, ‘Arwen, I’ve found a book that is better than The Hobbit.’ But Arwen isn’t my real name so she didn’t actually say that. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I was fair insulted at first, I loved the Hobbit, I wasn’t completely obsessed like I am with Harry Potter now but you know, it was my book, you get very protective of it. I didn’t want to read it at first, I had plenty of other books to read that she had said were good and so I did.
I was just about to leave my primary school and move on to secondary school, I was supposed to be going to the same one as my friend and we were really looking forward to being together. My mum wanted me to try for a grammar school however, quite far away, and so I went to the opening evening of this grammar school. There were four lessons going on at the time and I was allowed to join one, I wanted to go to the English one (because PE wasn’t a choice). When I entered the classroom they were reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, quite a way into it but they were going to analyse that chapter when they had finished it and so I was told I didn’t need to have read the rest of the book (although I was recommended to because the English teacher was in love with it). The chapter they were reading was a Quidditch match, and I didn’t understand it at all, although I thought I did. They kept mentioning the snitch and I thought it was a nasty little person who was very hard to be seen and even harder to catch and he was lurking about the stadium, and he was a threat to Harry. Anyway, when I got home I wanted to know who the snitch was and whether Harry ever caught him and since it was nearly summer I bought it and kept it to read in the Holidays. I took the test to try and get in to the grammar school and then started to read Harry Potter. I loved it, I worshipped it, I carried it around everywhere I went, every waking hour I was exploring Hogwarts as Harry and in every dream I was exploring Hogwarts as myself. I was looking for owls, blaming things that went missing on incompetent House-elves and calling everyone who called me obsessed or who hadn’t read Harry Potter ‘Muggles’. My friend and I couldn’t stop talking about it and about how we would love to go to Hogwarts, we even promised each other that if we went to Hogwarts, we’d tell the other even though you’re not allowed to. We were planning our days in the school grounds, how we would write to our family’s every Friday and how we would learn to become Animagus’s, it was fantastic. We decided what houses we would be in, we both agreed I would be in Gryffindor because when I was younger I was always exploring and putting myself in danger to save cats from trees when I thought they were stuck and so on, I was always looked up to for being the brave one in the group, I loved that, and still do. We couldn’t decide what house my friend would be in, I thought Ravenclaw be she said that she would like to be in Slytherin, just to prove that Slytherin’s are not all bad and that it’s the PERSON you are and not WHAT you are that people should see. I admired her for that and we decided that wouldn’t be a problem.
Of course my friend had already passed the age of eleven and was already in secondary school, so we figured that she was probably not going to be able to go, we were a bit put out by that but she said she wouldn’t be mad if I left her and went anyway, we were absolutely obsessed, we knew we couldn’t go, that it wasn’t real but we didn’t care, we talked about it like it was and we hoped so much that it could be real. It turned out that I passed the exam to get into the grammar school and that I was to go there instead of my friends school. I hadn’t told her I’d taken the exam because I didn’t want to go anyway at the time (my mum made me) when I did tell her she said, ‘Are you sure? You can tell me if you are going to Hogwarts, you know. I wouldn’t tell anyone, you could owl me! I promise I wouldn’t tell anyone at all!’ At the time I was a bit down because I never received a letter saying that I have a place at Hogwarts so I was mad that she didn’t believe me, why would I lie to her? Of course I’d tell her if I got into Hogwarts, it was my dream, our dream… obviously we knew it wasn’t real but I got so caught up in it, I didn’t tell anyone else I was waiting to get my letter or anything, it was between me and my friend, our own world to escape to when we got bored of the real one.
Anyway this was the year 2000, only the first three books had come out and so we had to just keep reading them over and over again, we were just waiting for the fourth book to come out, at the time what was fascinating about the books was the world in which is was set in and how fantastic the story’s were. Once the fourth book came out I was old enough to understand the characters, to understand why they did what they did, said what they said, I understood why people were how they were, I knew how the characters felt inside and I felt what the characters would have felt. I could predict what they would do in certain situations, cry inside when I thought of Harry living without his mother and father whom he loves so much, how hard it must have been for him to see them in the mirror and then when they came out of Voldemort’s wand… it made me cry, how touching it must have been for him, it was like I was Harry, and they had come to encourage me to fight against what was wrong, to make things right.
I was totally and utterly obsessed, I’d analyse the books after I’d read them, I’d make sure I knew them inside out, every little detail I knew. Then the films were made, the school was perfect, Quidditch looked just as I had imagined it, and seeing it made me long for it even more (quidditch that is, I couldn’t long for Hogwarts any more)! The characters were excellent, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, McGonagall, Dumbledore, Draco, Lucius and Snape were perfect, just as I had imagined them to be. Then the fifth book came out, I couldn’t be any more obsessed but it still had an effect on me, I had an extremely large and cheesy grin plastered across my face wherever I went, ‘Woohoo!!! There’s more Harry Potter for me to read!!!â€Â￾ and so I did, by the end of the week I had read it, and so I reread it, then I got the internet, and found out everything I could about Harry Potter. I also found the best Harry Potter Website in the world, with a help from the friend I have mentioned above, /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> of course, it’s this one! But I couldn’t sign-up for it I’d just missed it, so I thought I’d wait until December but my computer broke and so I missed it again, I was so upset! I waited all year though, I kept checking the site, making sure I knew my way around and watching the House points, and looking at the quidditch tables for the results. Finally, I was able to sign-up! I was sorted into Gryffindor, I thought I would have been, but I didn’t mind either way at the time. I’m glad to be in Gryffindor now though! I love it, it’s great! Go Gryffindor! I’m sure you love all your own houses too!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> So that is how I became obsessed with Harry Potter, and now I must wait until Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince comes out for Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione to get together, as I’m sure they will! /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> Until that time, I will be kept busy doing HOL homework, studying for my GCSE’s /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />, posting messages and enjoying this site and making my Harry Potter group be the best I can make it!!!
I thank you JK Rowling for sharing Harry Potter with us all so we may experience an adventure unlike any other and embark into a magical world to learn magic, love and want to protect our knew friends and to be there when Harry finally makes the choice between right and wrong however hard that may be for him, and to find out what happens to him and everyone when he does… and you can let us do all that without us having to leave our room! Wow.
Arwen Tonks (Gryffindor, ar502, UK)
If I'm good, I'll go to Hogwarts when I die.
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost." - Aragorn's poem.
"Maybe I'm a Lion..." - Squall
Candace Parker
No broom

Post by Candace Parker »

It was actually my sister who got me into Harry Potter. My mom bought her the first book and she read it and absolutely fell in love with it. I can't exactly remember how I ended up reading that book, but I did and loved it as well. That's saying a lot since I have NEVER liked fantasy-type books. Later, I began to buy the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books in paperback and I am currently waiting to buy the 5th book, because it's not in paper back yet. Since reading the first book, I can call myself a semi-HP obsessed person, because I have read the book, seen the movies, looked and participate in HP fan sites, but I hate reading fanfic and looking at fan-art most of the time.

Candace Parker (Ravenclaw, ca510, USA)
Last edited by Candace Parker on Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Saunders
No broom

Post by Amy Saunders »

Before I got into Harry Potter, I thought it was a bit weird and I didn't think that I would like it all that much. I think way differently now though! This is my story:

When I was 9 years old, my class was doing a vote for what video we would watch in school. One of the choices was 'Harry Potter'. We had about 26 people in our class and about 20 voted for Harry.

So the next day we watched some of it, but we didn't have time to watch it all. And then the next week, one of Mum's friends had it on DVD and had invited us around to her place to watch it.

Mum and my sister thought that 'Harry Potter' was stupid. I enjoyed the bits of the video I had seen at school. So I was saying, "Yes, yes, please can we go Mum? Please!?"

So eventually we went around to her friends and watched it. Mum and my sister enjoyed actually! Now we have the first one on video and DVD, and also the second one on DVD. I have seen the third one twice in the movies. Its cool!

--
Last edited by Amy Saunders on Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
^------Signy made by Signature Palace------^

GO ALL BLACKS!!
And CANTURBURY!
Lindsey Woodbury

Post by Lindsey Woodbury »

I got involved with Harry Potter the way I get involved with a lot of books, ironically, way before they became popular. I was in the library in the child's section, looking for a good read. I think I was about seven at the time. Anyway, mom called me over, saying it was time to go. And just as I turned, a book caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Well, that sound's interesting. Usually I read through the back summary or first flap on the cover, but I was in a hurry and it's not like I'd have to buy the book, right? I pulled it out of the magasin rack where it had been so carelessly thrown.
A few days later, maybe a week, I had finished my other library books and was reading Harry Potter. It was a long read, and interesting: both traits I like in a book. I read it for quite awhile between classes. One day I was sitting on the couch, still reading the book, when mom passed by on her way to the kitchen, commenting on how we needed to return the books to the library. I protest loudly.
"But mom! This one's really good! It's about a boy named Harry, and he does all these fun magical things, and it's funny, because his name is harry, and most heroes have more different names..." and so forth. Mom said to calm down, we could renew it, which eased my mind.
I don't remember much after that: I know I finished it and let mom read it, then my sister Abbey read it, and then Isaac. Time passed, though the book stayed in the corner of my mind, labeled as the perfect book.
Then one day we went to wal-mart, and standing in the checkout line, I noticed the cover. The book was on sale! I begged mom to buy it, saying it was my favorite book ever, and reciting a summary of the plot to remind her. She gave in: we bought the book.
A few year later, once again at wal-mart, the familiar colors and artistic style brought the book to my attention. But this one... it was different. The title was different, I was sure. I begged mom once again to buy it. She was wary, asking if it was the same one, suggesting we come home and check. But I was certain. We bought Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
I bet you're guess I got the third one from wal-mart as well. No, actually, it was bought in a bookstore. But that was after the report on the news.
Mom screamed for me to come downstairs, so I ran down quickly, only to find her pointing at the tv. There was J.K. Rowling, holding one of the Harry Potter books in hand, talking with Katie Couric. I immediately sat down on the floor and listened intently. Apparently the books were becoming very popular. J.K. annoucned she was going to write seven books.
"Seven books," my mother said, "That's quite alot. Do you think you are up to the challenge?"
"Yes! I love the books: I want to read them all!" Mom just laughed as I fiercely chatted away.
The rest, as they say, is history.

Lindsey Woodbury (Ravenclaw, li518, USA)
Sierath Cross
No broom

Post by Sierath Cross »

I got involved with Harry Potter in year 6, (about age 9) when one of my friends was reading it in our 'Reading Time' having not read the book I casually asked if i could read the back. Once I read it and asked if my friend liked if my friend was enjoying it (to which his answer was "The best book ever") I decided well I should probably read it. After getting past the first chapters, which admitidly took a quite a few days. I really got into it and begged my parents...aunty...grandma, to get me the next two books which i finished in (for me) record time. From that point on I was hooked and went about getting other people hooked. In the time from first finishing the third book to the release of the Goblet i read each book 7-12 times which for a 9 year old is quite impressive. It was also the subject of many disscussions between me and one of my closest friend. The Goblet of Fire was released in my lil ol' town on a Saturday at 11.00. and at school on the Monday i was the ONLY one who had finished the book. The urge to just blab was so much, but i managed to hold out till about 2.00 when my friend finally finished. The teacher was a little ...annoyedhe read ALL day butshe seemed okay *shrugs* had a good teacher that year. I had my order for The Order of the Pheonix in at my local book shop months before it came out and again it on Sat at about the same time and (now at high school) I was able to talk with people who had too finished. I then continued to re-read the books and wait patiently for book 6.

by Sierath Cross (Slytherin, si505, New Zealand)

Sig and Av. made by Cho Delacour at the Sig'n'Av Palace
...not all Slytherin are jerks, and not all jerks are Slytherin...
................................In libris libertas.............................
Mopsy Prewett
No broom

Post by Mopsy Prewett »

I'm sad to say I was quite late on the Hogwarts Express. Shortly before Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was released, I was pretty much living a life of seclusion. For a few years, I was living way out in the country - an hour's drive into town - taking care of nearly two dozen animals. Mostly dogs. I've always enjoyed reading but had a very limited supply of books where I was, so I turned to the internet for entertainment. Oddly enough, I never encountered any Harry Potter buzz while surfing the web. As for television, we had a select few channels offered on satellite, none of which revealed any Pottermania news.

Slowly, we started finding individual homes for the dogs and I began spending more time in town, amongst civilization. I would occasionally hear mentions of a 'Harry Potter' and felt clueless. Who was this new person everyone was talking about? I was again around local broadcasts and could watch the latest news, to hear one night about a bookstore that was throwing a huge after-hours party for Goblet of Fire. If this event alone weren't odd enough, the party was mainly for children and there were games and costumes and lots of other fun activities. I was quite impressed to see that so many people were getting together in anticipation for the release of this new book. Anything that can encourage children to read with so much enthusiasm, was bound to be fantastic.

It was around this time that a close friend of mine was recently enlightened to this world of magic as well. During one wild shopping spree she picked up the first two Harry Potter books, then was able to borrow the third from a friend. The moment she was finished reading them, I had my turn. I ordered the fourth book and received it just in time to read it after I finished Prisoner of Azkaban. I simply could not read them fast enough! They were great, enchanting tales with so many layers to them. I simply wanted more, and still do; the sixth book just cannot be released fast enough.

And though I'm eager for the last two books, there will be some sadness when the seventh is finally released, as that will be the end of the stories.

Mopsy Prewett (Hufflepuff, mo513, USA)
| mo513 | Hufflepuff Post Grad |
"A clean cauldron keeps potions from becoming poisons."
Fortuna Everil

Post by Fortuna Everil »

How did I get into Harry Potter? It's funny you should ask...

At the time I was a young child, perhaps in Grade 4 or 5. The Harry Potter craze was just starting to catch on where I lived, and my parents decided to do the honours of buying the first two books. My brother and I were antsy to read them - we had heard they were really good. Both of us were pretty good readers for our age, and I personally loved to read. We had grown up with books, you see. Anyway, my brother and I argued about who would read the books first. Me being the eldest, I won with my superior debate skills (*g*) and started my journey through the "Wonderful World of Harry Potter."

After I read the first book, I was hooked. I've read them many times, and I think J.K. Rowling is a wonderful writer. My entire family loves the books. Recently my Dad just finished reading OotP for the second time - an extraordinary feat for him considering he doesn't have a whole lot of time to just sit down and read. I think it helps that my family was supportive of my reading and they liked the books too. We would (and still do) have discussions about the books, and even now my family brings up Umbridge and her funny *hem hem*. That's a classic.

Fortuna Everil ( Ravenclaw, fo500, Canada )
Narcia Bellamy
No broom

Post by Narcia Bellamy »

Narcia Bellamy (Ravenclaw, na500, Canada)

I first heard about Harry Potter from the mother of the guy I was dating at the time. She had just read them, and her daughter was reading them. I generally avoid things if they’re “inâ€Â￾ … I don’t like fads, but for some reason I decided to give them a try. I borrowed the whole series from her, which at the time was only the first three books, and finished them a week later. Was I ever glad that Goblet of Fire was due out in about a month!

What keeps me coming back is that I can so easily imagine myself walking in that world. I want to be a part of it, which is why I'm here.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”