Book talk

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Kei Leberecht
No broom

Post by Kei Leberecht »

I have a lot of favorte authors, but choosing a very favorite book is just hard... At the moment I would say Painter Knight, by Fiona Patton.

When I was in 5th grade (a long long time ago, it seems) I read a book called Creepers that I haven't been able to find again because I was too stupid to remember the author. That could be my real favorite, because it was so dramatic and rememberable to me, but it was meant for young kids, so maybe I would hate it now anyway.
~Kei Leberecht~ | first year | ravenclaw | ke500

Tags:
Kathryn Mansfield
No broom

Post by Kathryn Mansfield »

*smiles lightly* That could be annoying Cyd...but maybe you should give it a chance anyway. You could surpirse yourself!

I hope you try it! *hugs*

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ~Kathryn
Friendship really is the strongest magic...music lives within your soul, find it and you shall live too...live each day to the fullest..."Do or do not, there is no try" --Yoda

SEIZE THE DAY!
Evalyn Arasmiss

Post by Evalyn Arasmiss »

yeah, you should give it a try, my friends used to babble on and on about Harry Potter, but I read it anyway so that I could babble too, and eventually I loved it. I really suprised myself with that one.
Rireoosol Softrain
No broom

Post by Rireoosol Softrain »

A friend of mine read this book. I think she told me it was ok, but reminded her of another book which kinda put it on a bad foot for her. I think I want to read it....just to see if she's right.
~| <- riRe -> | owl: Luna | ebony, 10 1/2 inches, fairy hair | ~
| spice girl: Dark Spice | proud patronus prowler pirate|
Nicole Ashley
No broom

Post by Nicole Ashley »

I really love the Harry Potter series, can't get enough of them. I do fancy the Charmed series, quite interesting. Don't mind Lord of the Rings but had a hard time trying to finish it. I also like the Princess Diaries series, they are hilarious.
Sila Snape
No broom

Post by Sila Snape »

My favourite books are
'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' serie.
I read Dan Brown's books and I liked them.
I want to read now 'What is history?'. (Edward Hallett
Carr)
"I don't know what kind of weapons will be used in the third world war, assuming there will be a third world war. But I can tell you what the fourth world war will be fought with - stone clubs."
Einstein
Sam Slick

Post by Sam Slick »

My fav books:

-HP (ofcourse)
-Left Behind Series (great books!- 12)
-Manga (Rurouni Kenshin)
-EW (Entertainment Weekly Magazine)

I checked out To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men from the Library. They are having little fun collecting dust particles on my shelf LOL!
Eve Shay
No broom

Post by Eve Shay »

Oooh, bookses. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

-The Harry Potter series, of course, by You-Know-Who.
-The Dream of Scipio and An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears, because he's a genius.
-Pendragon Series, by a person I don't remember.
-Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
-Tale of Genji.

And... stuff by Dan Brown, Jane Austen, Charlotte or Emily Bronte, and Arthur Conan Doyle, yes.

Avatar by thevisual @ livejournal. Signature by the lovely Cassandra Lobiesk.
Eve Shay || Julia || ev504
Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ilona Littrell »

The Harry Potter books
Lord of The Rings
Silmarillion
Dune
Lord of the Flies

and tons of others...I'm a bookworm...
^Sig & Av made by me.
Feel free to PM me if you want one
|Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Captain of the black PINK Pearl|
Mopsy Prewett
No broom

Post by Mopsy Prewett »

I don't read nearly as much as I'd like, and according to these lists, I have a lot more books to include on my every-growing booklist.

I have so many 'favorites'. I could never narrow it down to just one. Besides, it would always change.

Of course, 'Harry Potter' is in the top five. I love series and children's books. 'Series of Unfortunate Events', 'Artemis Fowl', 'Abarat', 'Chronicles of Narnia'... I've been wanting to read 'Eragon' since it came out.

I also love dark humor like 'Youth in Revolt', 'Geek Love', and 'Fight Club'.

J.R.R. Tolkien, Gregory Maguire, Dan Brown, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Ray Bradbury.... There are just so many great writers out there. And that's just off the top of my head.
| mo513 | Hufflepuff Post Grad |
"A clean cauldron keeps potions from becoming poisons."
Rhia Keoko
No broom

Post by Rhia Keoko »

My favorite book is definately The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's a wonderful story and I've read it five times in the past year. I also enjoyed the two sequels, but not nearly as much as the first book.
Rhia Keoko | Second Year Huffie | rh507 | Egg Salad Queen | News Reporter for the Pensieve
Adiana Jewel

Post by Adiana Jewel »

My fave book of all time is GINGERBREAD!!! It is my bible. If you havent read it yet get ur butt out there and read it I tell you READ IT!!!!lol ok well thats it
Mackenzie James
No broom

Post by Mackenzie James »

Favorite books /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Im gonna go with.... The English Patient... And of course, any of the Harry Potter books /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Thanks so much to Ella and the ID Card Shop for the Sig and Av!!!

I Love Rebecca Briggs!!
Eve Shay
No broom

Post by Eve Shay »

Rhia Keoko wrote:My favorite book is definately The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's a wonderful story and I've read it five times in the past year. I also enjoyed the two sequels, but not nearly as much as the first book.
Oh, I quite enjoyed The Giver, but I'm sad to say that Gathering Blue did nothing much to impress me. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />

*pats her copy* The Giver just had a certain unique magic that the books following it didn't have.

Avatar by thevisual @ livejournal. Signature by the lovely Cassandra Lobiesk.
Eve Shay || Julia || ev504
Lani Pockerveil
No broom

Post by Lani Pockerveil »

My favorite books are...

Series of Unfortunate Events- Lemony Snicket ( I have all of them)

Harry Potter- who must not be named /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

The Left Behind Series- by err.. LaHaye & Jenkins

The Magicians Nephew- C.S Lewis

The Bartimeaus Triology- Jonathan Stroud (Although I've only read the first book)

...and a whole lot more!!
Last edited by Lani Pockerveil on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
{Ravenclaw}---Lani Pockerveil::la509---
---I love muffins--- {1st year}
Kaleigha Renolds
No broom

Post by Kaleigha Renolds »

Well, I like-
Once Upon A Winters Night-Denis L Mckeirnan (i think i spelt it wrong)
Sabriel,Lirael,Abhosen-Garth Nix
His Dark Materials-
Dark Is Rising-Susan Cooper
Harry Potter Of Course!
Kushiels Chosen series-Jaquline Carey
Edge Of Twilight- Mggie Shayne
Lion Of Senet-Jennifer Fallon
and many mare but. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
lWand- 16 1/2 inchesllWillowllThestral Blood Corel
lHalf WitchllHalf Vampirel
Thanx to Morgy for my Siggy and Avie!!
Leviosa LaPar
No broom

Post by Leviosa LaPar »

Hey everyone,
I love all books fantasy...but some of the best that i have read are:
The series by Ian Irvine
The series by Tamora Pierce (Daine and Numair)
The series by Phillip Pullman
Harry Potter (duh!)
and although he isnt fantasy i think that Wilbur Smith is a genius!!
oooo..and the Devinci Code by Dan Brown was sheer genious too!!
Leviosa~

-Leviosa LaPar/le514/ickle firstie Slytherin-
*~Lifetime member of the HALO SISTERHOOD~*
I stole all the Slythmas ornaments, and I might steal more! Muhahaha!!
Tangerine Benildo

Post by Tangerine Benildo »

my fave books are:

Harry Potter[of course]
Artemis Fowl
Jemima J
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Da Vinci Code
Angels and Demons
Vampire Chronicles
Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
Confessions of a Shopaholic
Memoirs of a Geisha
Joy Luck Club
Chronicles of Narnia
Azelma Roark
No broom

Post by Azelma Roark »

Well...you mean there are books *other* than HP?? /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Sarcasm mode OFF. I love books, and I'll read basically anything (except cheesy romance). A few stand out as my favorites, though...

Ender's Game, and all the sequels, by Orson Scott Card: You've got to read these books! Especially if you're young, that's the best time to read them (although they're essentially adult novels, the theme is to some extent directed at intelligent children). Socially, they remind me a lot of Harry Potter, minus the magic. They're real page-turners and very easy to read, but will make you think.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton: I read this book in seventh grade, and although it is clearly on a seventh-grade reading level (if that), it still has a special place in my heart. I believe that no one should be allowed to graduate from middle school without reading this book, because it communicates the importance of tolerance better than any other work I've ever read. It's a simple, short story, but if it doesn't make you cry, you have no soul. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Adolphus Huxley: These books are together because they are essentially the same and yet very, very different, each uniquely compelling and frightening. They're a little harder to read, especially 1984, but both are awesome.

Anything by Garth Nix: Because he's one of the best modern storytellers out there (with the possible exception of Ms. Rowling herself!).

Anything by Isaac Asimov: Because he's possibly *the* best science fiction writer who ever lived. Just read him.

Anthem by Ayn Rand: This book is much shorter and easier to read than The Fountainhead (see below), and I'd recommend it if you're not familiar with Objectivism; it's a good introduction and is a great story, too.

EDITED, because I forgot The Lord of the Rings by Tolkein: How, how, how I could forget these wonderful books, I haven't a clue. Before the Potter-Loving-Era in my life began, they were my only exception to the no-fantasy rule. The writing style is a tad more difficult that HP, but nothing too bad. They're exciting stories and there's oodles of symbolism, too.

And now, my two absolute favorite books of all time... (and, yes, I love them even more than HP!)

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo: Very hard book, and very, very long. I adore it. All 1463 pages of it. I've read and re-read this book since age fourteen, have bookmarked, highlighted and cried over it more times than I can count. Enjolras is my idol and I sing the musical's soundtrack almost daily. No words can describe its awesome-ness, except possibly these: Read it!

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand: This book is my personal meaning of life, with some suppliment from Les Miserables. It has taught me to be proud of myself and to be independent. Every ounce of self-esteem I have was found within its pages (because heaven knows I had none when I first picked it up!). It's the most difficult book I've ever read, but also the most rewarding.

Yeah, those are a few (emphasis on a FEW) of my favorites. Anything mentioned above is well worth your time.

Oh...and Harry Potter, of course! (Order of the Phoenix is by far my favorite!)
Last edited by Azelma Roark on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Made by the talented folks at the Hogsmeade ID Card Shop.
Daisy Diggory
No broom

Post by Daisy Diggory »

all Lord of the Rings books
Harry Potter
StarWars
Tuck Everlasting

Return to “Book Talk”