Book talk

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Adriana Knight

Post by Adriana Knight »

I honestly can't decide! I love way too many, and everytime I answer this question another book pops into my mind, and I have to rethink everything again! So, a few of my top series...

Shannara Series', Terry Brookes - One of my small obsessions. I reread it over and over... I don't even know why I like em. Heh.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - Tad Williams - I love the Sithi. That's all I can say...

Farseer Saga - Robin Hobb - Some of my all time favourites. I'm glad the ending was finally happy for Fitz. Gotta love the Fool, who my and my mom still think is decidedly female... xD

The Belgariad/Mallorean - David Eddings - First fantasy books I ever read, when I was 10. They inspired me to keep reading, so wahay. I love the first two Sparhawk books too, but not the thrid... It souds too much like Enchanters End Game and Seeress of Kell mixed in! Eek!

The list goes on. Of course. JRR Tolkien's stuff on Middle-Earth, JKR's books (duh), hundreds of others... Tigana, Daughter of the Empire, the list goes on... Before I read the Belgaried, I used ot love books like Malory Towers - anything about people, really. I love the people in books more than the story.

Tags:
Remich Kalashnikov

Post by Remich Kalashnikov »

Kinda hard to pick favorites, especially when the ten contenders for favorite all are part of two different series', Harry Potter (of course) and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. Oh and Dusk, 1984 is a great book, but as I haven't read it in ages, I didn't include it in my list... Also I just got my hands on the DaVinci Code yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to start it yet lol
Last edited by Remich Kalashnikov on Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Rachel Selenia »

My favourite books are:

the Harry Potter series, by JK Rowling
the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan
any books about Middle-earth by JRR Tolkien
Rachel Selenia || Hufflepuff || Professor Emeritus
Prof. Angelus Darklost
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Angelus Darklost »

Ooooo! Books!!! *pets*

ANYwho...I've got a short list of absolute favorites:

The Black Unicorn by Terry Brooks is by far one of my favorites. Even though it's in the middle of a series, it was the first book by Terry Brooks that I ever read...and I fell in love with Shannara and the fantastical world that was there ever since!!!

The Sands of Time by Sidney Sheldon is another all-time favorite. It was something that I read when I was a senior in high school, and I keep going back to read it on occassion. The drama, the suspense, the angst, the grittiness. It's got all of the elements of psychological drama that I love!!!

Murder in the National Cathedral by Margeret Truman was another book I read in high school that I keep going back to. There are even parts of this book that are so imprinted on my memory that reading certain passages actually triggers the song I was listening to at the moment I first read the story. [[Sadly, the song is Don't Walk Away by Jade...but that's a different matter all by itself...]]

And there's this fourth book that I love reading...but I can never remember the title or author...mostly because the story is so much more important than the title or author's name. *LOL* But it's basically a travel journal with postcards, ticket stubs, and various other travel things pasted throughout...and the story revolves around ths woman who has this mysterious tattoo develop on her arm...and then she disappears and her travel companion picks up her travel journal in hopes of determining what happened to her. It's quite a mystery and quite intense...but a very good read. [[I'll have to dig up the title and author for y'all when I get home...if I remember...]]
"The monkey may be off your back, but that doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin
Juniper Raynbrown

Post by Juniper Raynbrown »

Hm...this is a bit difficult...

*Once and Future King (T.H. White)
*The Ender series (Orson Scott Card)
*The Discworld series (Terry Pratchett)
*Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion (J.R.R. Tolkein)
*Coraline (Neil Gaiman)

Alright, so I kind of cheated by making three of them series...and do I even really need to add the Harry Potter books? I think it's kind of assumed...
Last edited by Juniper Raynbrown on Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yi-Ling Zhang

Post by Yi-Ling Zhang »

Books eh? I mostly love any book that I can get my hands on, but here are some of my faves.

--series--
-Harry Potter by JK Rowling
(Of course. ;D My favorite is PoA.)
- Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
(Very funny, written like a normal teenage girl who turns out to be a princess.)
-Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan
(Vampires are the coolest! I've only read the 1st two so far, but I love them. Love the friendship in it too.)
-A Series Of Unfortunate Events
(They're either very unlucky or lucky. I love the author's mysterious ways.)

Can't remember the rest. xD;
Amanda Mancini

Post by Amanda Mancini »

The His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman has had a huge impact on me and remains by favourite series.

I love the works of Timothy Findley, I find them to be quite bittersweet and beautiful even if they take a while to get into. My favourite book of all time, The Last of the Crazy People is by him.

I greatky enjoyed Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger when I read it, and most likely because I did so independently and not because teachers made me. I think everyone should read his collection of short stories, Nine Stories . They're quite startling, abstract, and almost make no sense. Wonderful!
Hannah Taylor

Post by Hannah Taylor »

Harry Potter series (Of course:)) Number 5 my favourite
Any books by VC Andrews. Especially My Sweet Audrina though.
David Pelzer's series
Dimitra Raskolnikov

Post by Dimitra Raskolnikov »

wow Hailey! i love Mary, Bloody Mary! good book /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Harry potter definately (POA and GOF are my favs)
-
Lord of the Rings of course (TT my favorite one of that)
-
Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice
-
all three Sleeping Beauty Novels by Anne Rice
-
Raging Quiet (forgot who its by)
-
Taming of the Shrew, Othello and Macbeth by Bill Shakespeare *g*
-
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
-
Elizabeth by David Starkey
-
Alice and Wonderland by that one crazy guy (dont have it with me)
-
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
-
Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
-
Princess Bride by i totally forgot sorry *laugh*
-
The Other Boelyn Girl and hte Queens fool by i forgot again
-
Memoirs of a Giesha by another forgotten person
-
Davinci's Code and i forgot this author too *slaps self*

and i think thats it *laughs* i read A LOT though im not good at remember authors names eck...
Last edited by Dimitra Raskolnikov on Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer Gewin

Post by Jennifer Gewin »

I'm not one who loves reading, but I do enjoy to sit down on a rainy day and read. I have a few favorites I will list.

Harry Potter Series
Series of Unfortunate Events Collection
The Darkness Is Rising
Goosebumps Series
Princess Diaries Series

Those are some of my Top 5. You see, I read a lot of series, lol.

- + Jennifer Gewin + -
Sophronia Bradenton
No broom

Post by Sophronia Bradenton »

Ah, this is long...I love reading. Aside from Harry Potter, I love...

Dogsbody and the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
The Symphony of Ages (I'm about halfway through it right now)
The Phantom of the Opera (obviously)
Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Marlfox by Brian Jacques (and the entire Redwall series, but that one is my favorite)
Myst: The Book of Atrus
Wit'ch Star (last of the series, but undoubtably the best)
Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
...and more, I'm sure I'm forgetting. I read far too much, according to my mom!
*Overlord of Oboes and Mistress of the Majestic*

yum yum eat 'em up
Marcasite Vah
No broom

Post by Marcasite Vah »

My favorite books include:
Les Miserables, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon, Harry Potter (all five, favorite was The Chamber of Secrets), Night, Jurassic Park, The Green Mile, The Miko, Animal Farm, Band of Brothers, and The Wizard of Oz
Andrew Rubin

Post by Andrew Rubin »

Anything by Michael Crichton. Dude's awesome. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Rireoosol Softrain
No broom

Post by Rireoosol Softrain »

My Favorite books are:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien (The Return of the King my favorite book)

Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling (so far, My fave is the Order of the Phoenix)

His Dark Materials trilogy - Phillip Pullman (my fave is The Golden Compass)

Blood and Gold - Anne Rice (I love this book out of all of her books because it centers around my favorite vampire - Marius)
~| <- riRe -> | owl: Luna | ebony, 10 1/2 inches, fairy hair | ~
| spice girl: Dark Spice | proud patronus prowler pirate|
Namia Elisa

Post by Namia Elisa »

I love Stephen King novels (Especially Rose Red)
The Harry Potter Books
Blood and Chocolate (can't remember who wrote it....)
R.L. Stine's Fear Street
The Fears Street Sagas (Different from the regular fear street books)
Fear Hall
The Cataluna Chronicles
(I'm obviously a big R.L. Stine Fan)
Charlotte Black
No broom

Post by Charlotte Black »

Hmmm....I have several; I have a couple that I like better than others, but all of them deserve to be on my favorites list. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

~Lord of the Rings (all 3, including indexes at the end of Return of the King)
~Harry Potter (of course!)
-PoA
-CoS
-GoF
-OotP
-PS/SS
~Anything Sherlock Holmes (I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />)
~Terry Pratchett Discworld Series
~Issac Asimov short stories
~The Dark Materials trilogy
~A lot of Roald Dahl books
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-Matilda (almost had that one memorized at one point! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />)
-The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More
-The Witches
~The Da Vinci Code
Last edited by Charlotte Black on Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^by me^
"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement, for even the very wise cannot see all ends." JRR Tolkien
It is our choices, rather than our abilities, that decide who we truely are.

Sherlock Holmes is my idol
Talim Sorel

Post by Talim Sorel »

What do you all think about Eragon?
It's my FAVORITE book! I LOVE Saphira and Nasuada.
But..*tear* SPOILER Brom DIES!!
Man, I was so sad when that happened.
/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
Jessamyn Logan
No broom

Post by Jessamyn Logan »

I bought that book for my husband, and as soon as he finishes it I will read it.... Finish it!!!

~Jessie

Love Always! ~Jessie||je503||Proud Hufflepuff!||"Home is where the Sett is..."||Hufflepuff Quidditch Rocks!||Sig and Av made by Me!!!
Xander Nightshade

Post by Xander Nightshade »

I like the book alot but was annoy with how it ended. Looking forward to the next one.
My favorite character is Sapphira.
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena »

I just bought the book a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to read it yet, and don't know when I will get a chance... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" /> But from what I've read it's really good, so I can't wait to actually read it!
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe

Return to “Book Talk”