Buying Habits

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Buying Habits

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I've been thinking about the fact that I cannot wait for my library to reopen so that I can have access to paper books again. Then I realize that, though I love to go and browse our local bookstore, I rarely purchase anything from the bookstore without having read it first. I only really own books that I have read and loved or I have in a collector's format. I have all things Harry Potter, all Veronica Roth, and all Hunger Games. Other novels that I read I will have borrowed from friends or the library before I determine if I want to own them forever or not.

Am I odd in that respect? Are you like me, or do you buy new titles to read for the first time? If you bought it and you don't like it, do you donate it or return it?

Tags:
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: Buying Habits

Post by February Fortescue »

I have a massive online library. I love not having so many physical books taking up space, I can read them at night, get the books I want to read immediately, get quick access to any information from any book I have, and share them with my brother, who is also on my account. I used to have a room devoted to nothing except books, but after moving a couple of times, it became a real hassle.

I do have several physical copies of books, but I've limited those to ones I treasure, such as the Harry Potter series. I have some older books, and some books that are out of print as well.

I have a cousin who only reads physical copies. She belongs to a website that allows her to send in books and get credits, and she trades those in for other books on the site. She also takes full advantage of the local library and thrift stores, etc., keeping only those books she really values.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adaleine Shuster

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I have a lot of physical books. I usually borrow books online, because I don't love the feeling of library books. I buy a lot of books, too, mainly from discount websites. If I read a book that I don't own and loved it, I'll buy it, but I usually buy books that I don't own yet.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I have a pretty massive ebook collection and my shelves are pretty well crammed with physical books as well. Admittedly, a good deal of those are cookbooks, but hey, a book's a book, right?!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

My physical library is huge. I swear, most of the boxes when I move are full of books. I have a thing that I cannot, even if I really want to, read books if they are in electronic or audiobook form. I simply cannot concentrate and lose my place quickly. Which is funny, since I have no problem with reading fanfiction. Dunno, I am weird like that.

My buying habits? Depends, really. I usually start with borrowing books from a library. If I enjoy the first book in the series, I usually just buy it and the rest of the series as well (if it is out, I am looking at you A Song of Ice and Fire). I also love to shop online on a site that deals mostly with used books, though they carry new as well. They offer free shipping worldwide and have great deals on most of their books. I usually browse my favorite genres or books that are recommended to me and buy them. I was never disappointed so far and my book hoarding continues.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

I definitely have more physical books than ebooks, though I don't have a huge problem reading ebooks except for on road trips. If I stare at a screen too long in a moving car, I'll usually get a headache. When it comes to buying ebooks, I share an account with my mom and sister; I don't buy things on my own particularly often, but browsing through what they've bought can sometimes introduce me to great reads.

Physically, well things are a bit different now, huh? I never really set out to buy a specific book, but if I happen to be in a bookstore and come across something I've wanted to read for a while, I tend to buy it. If I'm browsing and come across an interesting title, but haven't heard anything about it yet, I'll probably pass on buying it and instead borrow from the library or place it on my neverending tbr. Lately I've been borrowing from the library more and I plan to keep up the habit even after stores open up more.
Hannah Lovegood
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hannah Lovegood »

I have a lot of copies of books that I own but I hardly read them because most of them are not interesting. But I also don't really like reading ebooks on-line because they give me a headache. I don't really like audiobooks because they make my head hurt. I much prefer to own books I like so I don't have to worry about losing the books or forgetting to return them to the library.
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

I definitely love to read actual books, rather than ebooks. I do own a few eboks, but I prefer real books, paperback or hardback. If I buy a book and I don't enjoy it, I either donate it to the library or resell. I do keep all the books I have truly enjoyed, because I know me, and I will definitely re-read them again. We do listen to audiobooks though, especially on longer road trips. ^_^
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~

Return to “Book Talk”