Reaching Out to Authors

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Reaching Out to Authors

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

I just finished a re-read of a novel by one of my favourite authors and I was feeling such an upsurge of emotions that I fired off a tweet to thank him for sharing the story (This isn't like me at all:usually I'm shy... yes, I can hear you sniggering, it's actually true). I've interacted with the same author and a couple of others in similar ways over the years when I've felt compelled to tell them what an impact their books have had on me.

Have you ever reached out to an author on social media with a question, a comment or just to tell them how much you enjoyed what you just read? Thinking back to a time before it was as easy as tweeting or posting, did you ever send a letter or an email? I probably would have if it was the only option open to me but strangely, I think something more concrete than a tweet would have taken me a lot more courage. Is social media changing the writer/reader relationship?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Tags:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Reaching Out to Authors

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I've written to authors whose creations I enjoy and appreciate.

I did write a snail mail once. This was someone who lives in the same state as me, and she wrote a most amazing book, filled with wonder and magic. I'd never written to an author before, but her book was just so ... perfect. She answered me, and we wrote back and forth a couple times. Then she accepted our invitation to tea! We traveled to her hometown, and met her in a restaurant and had a most wonderful conversation. (I've since met her again, and she's just a lovely person.)

Others I've emailed and/or written to using different social media methods of communication. I've only written to persons whose work touched me, who I felt so deeply about what they wrote that I had to write. Always I'm answered with a note of 'thank you' on their part. From what almost everyone has written to me, authors are usually solitary creatures and they are always glad to read appreciation of what they do.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Book Talk”