Jane Austen

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Anna Darcy
No broom

Post by Anna Darcy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:08 am

How beautiful are Jane Austens books!!!!! I love them to bits!

I started reading them when I found out that there was a character with my last name.
Pride and Prejudice will have to be my favourite. Mr. Darcy is what every man ought to be. Tall, Handsome, romantic, understanding, and he has quite a bit of money. And I think every girl, after reading it, aspires to be Elizabeth. Witty, intelligent, pretty and most importantly Mr. Darcy is in love with her!

Every girl, who has read the book, will agree with me who can help but falling in love with most of the men in her books, especially Mr. Darcy and Captain Wentworth from Persuasion.

I don't really like Northanger Abbey. It is to strange for my liking, and goes no where.

All of Jane's books are just superb. Clearly the most greatest books in English literature. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Last edited by Anna Darcy on Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAVENCLAW PRIDE
Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise
No broom

Post by Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:21 am

I have read all of Austen's books also, and of course, I love P&P the most, and I know I've read it at least 20 times. I just can't get enough of it. I enjoyed the others as well, although Northanger Abbey was a little strange compared to the others. I wish she could have written more.
..: ESMERELDA :..
Ancient Runes: Grave Markers Professor
Hufflepuff Extraordinaire
Lilly Piper
No broom

Post by Lilly Piper » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:20 am

YAY Jane Austen!!
I actually liked Emma the most, because it has the best ending and it was the first Jane Austen I actually read. But since it's not on the list, I picked Northanger Abbey. I didn't think it was strange at all; I thought it was a very sweet book. Well, tastes are different I suppose.
Go all Jane Austen fans-don't we all wish she was still alive,
Lilly
Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Hailey Potter » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Wow. These are all books on my list to read. I've only seen the movie of P&P, and sometime this summer I'm hoping to read at least half of them...
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride
Serene Otempora
No broom

Post by Serene Otempora » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:10 pm

I love Jane Austen books. I always look forward to the who's going to end up with whom guessing game she plays with her readers. And they are always so beautifully written. I absolutely adore those books.
Josh Kortos
No broom

Post by Josh Kortos » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:09 pm

well i haven't read them. I have heard of pride and prejudice.
Thaliasta McGreave
No broom

Post by Thaliasta McGreave » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 am

Mmm... so far P&P is my favorite... I'm actually reading Emma right now, and it's dee-lish.
Nassa Dikaios
No broom

Post by Nassa Dikaios » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:25 am

Mine is definately Persuasion. P&P gets sickening after you've read it a few times but I can always come back to Persuasion for a great read.
“Once bitten by a snake, a person is scared all their
life at the mere sight of a rope.â€￾~Chinese Proverb
Scarlett Gabryella
No broom

Post by Scarlett Gabryella » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:30 am

Oooh I have recently become OBSESSED with the pride and prejudice movie (keira knightley version). I love it.
My Favourite character is jane. She is beautiful and such a kind person. Her and bingley are too cute together!
I'm going to go buy all Jane Austen books and read them! I'm really excited /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Seeyou!
"In Dreams, We enter a world that is entirely our own."
Keety Rhea
Oakshaft 79

Post by Keety Rhea » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:34 pm

I love Jane Austen books. There is something about them that make them really more human than most things I have read during that time frame. I love Mr. Darcy though, so that is why my favorite is Pride and Prejudice ,but I love sense and sensiblity, because of Colonel Brandon, such a great secondary character in the book. Plus, Alan Rickman made a good looking Brandon in the movie /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> *cuddles with her Rickman Plushie*
Credit to: Jenna Hathaway from Ravenclaw

Reserve Ravenclaw Prefect!! Zoki Phatom's HOL Mommy! Eno calls me Katie!

ke400-Fifth Year
Edana Holmes
No broom

Post by Edana Holmes » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:18 pm

I love the Jane Austen Books. Although I voted for Pride & Prejudice, my favourite is Emma.

Jane Austen managed to develop characters which have stood the test of time. I liked that you can read her books in a certain order and see the different stages of womanhood that you go through. Northanger Abbey shows a young naive girl who is being let loose in the world and doesn't necessarily make the most sensible choices. You also have Persuasion where an older woman has developed her character as a result of choices she made in her teens.

They are beautiful books and I read them all at least once a year.

Edana
Cate Beesly
No broom

Post by Cate Beesly » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:42 pm

I love Jane Austen so, so much! Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, but I really do love Sense and Sensibility. I just love Elinor, and even though I haven't had the same experiences as her, the way Austen has crafted her just makes it easy to feel connected to her.
Leigh Van Voreen
No broom

Post by Leigh Van Voreen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:42 am

I've only read Sense and Sensibility, but I'm madly in love with Colonel Brandon!

"Just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERSTAND!"--Homer Simpson
Zach Goldenfarb
No broom

Post by Zach Goldenfarb » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:26 pm

Pride and prejusice is such an outstanding novel. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Gryffindor 2007-2008 for the cup!
You know you want to win.
MAKE AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN!
Ginger Witheroot
No broom

Post by Ginger Witheroot » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:13 am

Did anyone see the movie Becoming Jane? It was really good but really sad...if it's even a little true, then no wonder her love stories were so good...she would have to have poured all of her love and hopes in to her writings.
Castora Grimsby
No broom

Post by Castora Grimsby » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:57 pm

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Jane Austen book. Followed closely by Sense and Sensability. Its the same with the movies. I love Alan Rickman as colonel Brandon.
Mopsy Prewett
No broom

Post by Mopsy Prewett » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:39 am

Hey Austen fans, have you heard what's coming in January?

Starting January 13th, PBS' Masterpiece Theatre is presenting The Complete Jane Austen.

They will broadcast adaptations of all six of Austen's novels. Emma will be the Kate Beckinsale version and they're airing the BBC/A&E Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice (which I've personally been dying to see). The remaining four will be new adaptations, including Mansfield Park with Billie Piper (Rose Tyler from Doctor Who) as Fanny Price. In addition there will be a new drama based on Jane's life called Miss Austen Regrets.

Altogether this is going to be a four-month marathon. I, for one, am excited! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
| mo513 | Hufflepuff Post Grad |
"A clean cauldron keeps potions from becoming poisons."
Marguerite Davenport
No broom

Post by Marguerite Davenport » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:46 am

I love them all, they're all fantastic. It's impossable to chose one. Not to take a line from a movie but "I could no longer choose a favorite star in the sky.
Proud Member of the Sneer Squad & President of the Order of the Blanket
Proud D. A. MEMBER
Fifth-Year Slytherin Pure Blood

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
Christina Birch
No broom

Post by Christina Birch » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:13 am

I guess I'm with the majority when I said Pride and Prejudice. But, seriously, who can resist Mr. Darcy? He's exactly what we look for in a man.
Charlaine Flimel
No broom

Post by Charlaine Flimel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:09 am

Oh let's talk about Jane Austen!!! I own her entire collection. Her writing is so exquisite! My favorite of her books is definitely Pride and Prejudice. The relationship between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet is one of the most cherished of all time and the envy of almost every woman that has ever read the book. Jane Austen makes us believe that there really is a love out there that can withstand all the things that are thrown at it, and I love her for that!

Return to “Book Talk”