Eragon...

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Guinevere Moon
No broom

Post by Guinevere Moon » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 am

Hello Everyone! I am interested in knowing an opinion of Eragon, the series. I have a main question which is, compared to the Harry Potter books, in what level do you think Eragon's author is? I mean is it a light reading book... or what sort of language does the author uses?

In you opinion for what ages do you recommend this book?

Thank you! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Prof. Opal Curare
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Opal Curare » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:51 am

Hey =) I've only read Eragon so far, as I am currently waiting for Eldest to come out in paperback so I can buy it. In my opinion, the language and scenarios in Eragon were not quite as complicated or as involved as what is typical in the HP series, and the novel wasn't as complex. However, if you are looking for a fun, easy read, I would definitely recommend Eragon. In my opinion, the reading level is anywhere from 5th-7th grade, but the interest age range is probably much greater... I'm 18 and I thoroughly enjoyed it =D Hope that helped!

-Opal

"A single sunbeam is enough to chase away many shadows."
"Always."
Lani Sil-Aria
No broom

Post by Lani Sil-Aria » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:07 pm

Ive read both Eragon and Eldest and I have to say I really enjoyed both books, nothing compares to the Harry Potter series but then what would. It was easy to get sucked into the world of Eragon and I cant wait for not only third book but Eragon the film which I believe is going to be released later this year.

Lani
Last edited by Lani Sil-Aria on Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nassa Dikaios
No broom

Post by Nassa Dikaios » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:36 pm

I've read both Eragon and Eldest as well..and did enjoy them, but they weren't "can't put down-ers" for me.
“Once bitten by a snake, a person is scared all their
life at the mere sight of a rope.â€￾~Chinese Proverb
Hazel Kaprano
No broom

Post by Hazel Kaprano » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:04 pm

I just finished reading Eragon today and I might get Eldest sometime this week. It's a really great book! I couldn't take my eyes off of it! Hm, I guess the book is suitable for all ages. It pretty much depends on the genre they like in my opinion. The language was kind of hard to understand because Christopher Paolini threw in different languages and I constantly looked up the definitions and the pronounciations at the back of the book. But I still thought it was an excellent page-turner.
Hazel Kaprano | Ravenclaw
Jade Najavi
No broom

Post by Jade Najavi » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:41 am

I loved both the Eragon books.
They were interesting and complex, really pulling me toward them and not letting me go. Lol. I loved them, a stay-up-to-finish-the-last-page read, indeed. xD
But I love the Harry Potter books more. -nods-
Sylvia Laywn
No broom

Post by Sylvia Laywn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:32 am

I read both Eragon and Eldest about a month ago. They're okay, and I am going to read the third book when it comes out, but they're not what I'd call great books.
I think it borrows too much from Star Wars and from Lord of the Rings, but they're still okay.
Anyway, Harry Potter is waaay better /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Last edited by Sylvia Laywn on Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenclaw.
First year.
Cassey Duareiiy
No broom

Post by Cassey Duareiiy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:07 am

I have read both Eragon & Eldest. They're fun and easy-to-understand.I'm wait for the next book.And the film of course.On December, right...The languages, interesting.It'll be better if the author expand it--with more explanation for us, too.But I don't want he makes the dictionary of this language ^^;
Spell it!! My name is --K-see*Jyuu-a-Re-- \(^o^)/ !!
BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE
Guinevere Moon
No broom

Post by Guinevere Moon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I will definitly consider on reading it! anyways...

Has anyone read something about wizards, magic or that sort of things that is almost as good as HP? (I know anything is as good as HP.. but maybe there is something close)
Prof. Audiaa Martin
No broom

Post by Prof. Audiaa Martin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:43 pm

I hesitated in reading Eragon becuase I didn't think that it would be very good, but I was suprised when I finally did. I think it's definately worth reading. I also haven't read the second book because I'm waiting for it to appear in paperback. I think it has but I haven't seen it where I shop.

*Waves to Guin* As for other books with magic one series that I just finished reading that I really liked was Trickter's Choice and Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce. After I read the second book, I re-read the first book and it made a lot more sense *g*. It's a story with a female protagonist who has to protect a family and she becomes a spy master. Honestly I'm horrible at describing it; it's much better than that. I also enjoyed His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, which I would also consider fantesy but they don't really have that much magic/wizards in them.
~~Accio Brains!~~
HOL Pen Pal Club | Writing Workshop
Miyah Baker
No broom

Post by Miyah Baker » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:34 am

I'm currently reading Eragon, and it's a good book. Though, I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Harry Potter, you should definately give it a read if you like fantasy books. *nods*
Cliodna Bladvak
No broom

Post by Cliodna Bladvak » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:28 am

I never read that book. Is that a good book?
I'm angel of love, sometimes people call me CUPID
But 'cause often make a wrong, they call me a STUPID angel
Phoebe Mangrove
No broom

Post by Phoebe Mangrove » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 am

i read eragon last july
it's good
i suggest u to read it, camellia

well...don't u think eragon and murtagh are brothers, do u???
but there's no any clue about it at the end of book...

i don't know bout eldest...
i don't read it yet...
Avery Brookshire
No broom

Post by Avery Brookshire » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:28 pm

The only reason I'd even heard about these books was from my cousin, who practically forced me to read them. But I think they're fabulous. I did get a little confused with some characters and other languages, but other than that it's a great story line and really gets you involved. And I absolutely can't wait until the movie comes out Dec. 15....what is it now? September?......crap. But from what I've seen it looks really good, except for the part where they made Arya a blonde.......
*Yo ho, yo -ouch!- a pirate's life for me*

"Of course the Neverlands vary a good deal. John's had a lagoon with flamingo's flying over it at which John was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it."

~I'm having Sirius denial~
Anneliese Lee
No broom

Post by Anneliese Lee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:37 am

I've read Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr. I can hardly wait for the next Inheritance book!

I'd have to say...compared to Harry Potter, The Eragon series would be like a 6.5 on a scale from 1-10 (1 being terrible, 10, awesome: Harry Potter was a infinity on that scale.) The first book, Eragon, was a lot better than Eldest and Brisingr. Personally, I thought Brisingr dragged out way too much and at times it felt boring and had no plot line.

Compared to Harry Potter, I guess Eragon would be "eh, okay." But not my favourite, from this perspective.
Laurie Lovegood ©
Kate Quinn
No broom

Post by Kate Quinn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:32 am

I haven't read the book yet, but I've seen the movie version, which was...not very good, in my opinion. I've heard that the book is much better though- would you all agree? It's been on my internal list of books to read for a while now, I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
Thanks to Brie MacKenna for the banner! :)

"Not all those who wander are lost."
Chadwick Cadet
No broom

Post by Chadwick Cadet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:49 pm

I actually read Eragon and Eldest way back in high school and I really liked them a lot! I bought Brisingr last summer but I just started reading it a week or two ago. I've been reading it really slow (which I hate doing) and I almost put it down after a while when the story fortunately started to pick up. I'm about halfway and it isn't bad - definitely nothing in comparison to Harry Potter, but if you interested in this stuff (which, while it doesn't touch HP, it does do a good job of creating a new world to read about in a manner sort of similar to it!) I would definitely check it out Kate! I couldn't put Eragon down when I first got it (I was probably 16 or so) so it's definitely worth checking out! :D
Enid Labs
No broom

Post by Enid Labs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm finishing reading Eragon.... I really love it. I know after finishing it, I would need to read more about this serie, and now I know that in November of this year the last book arrives here to my country I can't wait for it :)
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.
Andi Harte
No broom

Post by Andi Harte » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:50 am

@ Kate Quinn: The book is way better than the movie, trust me. I saw the movie after I had already read the books, and almost died of lack of canon. It was bad. But I actually really like the books, except the middle of Brisngr killed me. :P

Return to “Book Talk”