Shakespeare

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Isabella Astiar
No broom

Post by Isabella Astiar » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:56 am

I think that almost everyone here has read Shakespeare - some of their own free will, some forced by school.

So, are you a fan of Shakespeare? Why or why not? If so, which are your favorite works?
Isabella Astiar
Rebecca Peck
No broom

Post by Rebecca Peck » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:13 am

I'm not a fan of Shakespeare, but I have read it. I have to do it at school. I've read:

A midsummer nights dream
Macbeth
The Merchant of Venice
Romeo and Juliet
Hamlet.
Made by Cho Delacour in Siganture Palace

Wand: 11 inches, Mahogany, Unicorn hair
Pets: An Eagle owl called Spock
Kingdom: Silver Starfruit
Blood: Pure blooded and proud to be a Hufflepuff
Cyriel Aurorus
No broom

Post by Cyriel Aurorus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:31 am

I LOVE Shakespeare! I discovered how fantastic he is just a few months ago, so I've only had time to read Macbeth. After that I had to read HBP and then "Amber Chronicles" /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
|Cyriel Bowl of D00m! \o/|cy602|Fifth Year|Prefect|
|SPD|Spice Squad|Paw Print|LCPP Head|Teh Ubar|
Sila Snape
No broom

Post by Sila Snape » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Well, I watched the theater plays of Shakespeare. I liked especially 'Twelth Night'.
"I don't know what kind of weapons will be used in the third world war, assuming there will be a third world war. But I can tell you what the fourth world war will be fought with - stone clubs."
Einstein
Regina Silverthread
No broom

Post by Regina Silverthread » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:29 pm

I've read many Shakespearé's works. My favourite ones are
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Twelfth Night
Hamlet
Romeo and Juliet
Timon of Athens
and Macbeth
Prof. Ben Quaddler
No broom

Post by Prof. Ben Quaddler » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:17 pm

Oooh.
Professor Quaddler is a fan of Shakespeare! My favourites are mostly the tragedies (King Lear, Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth etc.).
I tend to... uh, how should I put this... recite soliloquies for fun.
Yes, I am a nerd/geek/lover of literature

Prof. Ben
Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Post by Lourdes Rowan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:54 pm

I like Shakespeare a lot. Obviously, Rome & Juliet is a classic. I also really liked A Midsummer Night's Dream, Othello, etc. My father bought me The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, split into three volumes: the Comedies, the Tragedies, and the Poems/Sonnets. I hope to read them soon, it's on my very long list of books to read.
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist
Angelina Bell
No broom
Location: A Place Where Heaven And Earth Are One And The Same (Gryffindor)

Post by Angelina Bell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:59 pm

"Then God be blessed it is the blessed sun.
But sun it is not, when you say it is not,
And the moon changes even as your mind.
What you will have it named, even that it is,
And so it shall be so for Katherine."

Taming of the Shrew

I have always loved that line set.

My name also came from the Tempest so I have always been attached to Shakespeare.

Siggy done by Rachel Baudelaire
Velocity Vervain
No broom

Post by Velocity Vervain » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:24 pm

I have to say I think Sir William Shakespeare is a legend!

I never used to appreciate his works when I was younger, but once i reached 5th year & then A- Levels at school I realised what a genius he was! I guess I love King Lear because I studied it so closely for A- Level, plus it is one of his greatest tragedies!
Casey Casewin
No broom

Post by Casey Casewin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:22 pm

The first thing we do let's kill all the lawyers ~ King Henry VI, Part Two, IV, ii
I have that on a shirt from the stratford festival in Stratford Ontario. I love that town it's set up like a shakespearien villiage. the River is called the Aovon (Spelling could be wrong) There are always Shakespear plays going on. I've seen three plays there Romeo & Juliet, The taming of the Shrew and McBeth. I have the Complete Works of Shakesper that was my great grandmothers. I found it in our little storage area under the stairs and It's really old the book said that it was published in March of 1939. I've read through some of the plays and Sonnets I love the Sonnets.
Airemay Speare
No broom

Post by Airemay Speare » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:11 pm

I love Shakespeare!! I've read Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Tempest, Taming of the Shrew, Macbeth, and Hamlet. I need to read more. I've seen several of his works as well, like the Tempest, Taming of the Shrew (was in both of these haha), Macbeth, Twelth Night, As You Like It and two versions of Comedy of Errors.

For a while I avoided him because I found his verse too difficult. Now that I am older, I realized that it's not that hard... still beautiful, but much easier than I expected!
Isabella Astiar
No broom

Post by Isabella Astiar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:24 am

Personally, I really like Shakespeare too. He is the master of double entendres and wit. He's so funny, even if it takes you a few seconds to figure out what he's saying at times.
Isabella Astiar
Kari Cordillia
No broom

Post by Kari Cordillia » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:44 pm

I really Love Shakespeare.... like everyone else /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
My favorites are Romeo and Juliet- I love the Queen Mab speech by Mercucio,

and then I also love King Henry V, that ones a litttle randomn, but when I was 13 I was made to play KIng Henry V in King Henry V and I never got it, now that I finally do, and can't get the lines out of my head, I love it!
Cassandra Clearwater
No broom

Post by Cassandra Clearwater » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:32 pm

I really like Shakespeare. I had to take a Shakespeare class and I enjoyed it.

I really like:

Midsummer's Night Dream
The Tempest
Romeo and Juliet
Tameing of the Shrew

I like his sonnets too.
Ceeje Queen
No broom

Post by Ceeje Queen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:30 am

I love Shakespeare's Sonnets the best. I also love it when you see modern day references to Shakspeare in modern movies. Like Ten Things I Hate About You was a modern day remake of The Taming of the Shrew. My favorite play is Macbeth. Yes, Shakespeare rocks!
~Ceeje~
Prof. Ashlee Sully
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ashlee Sully » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:44 am

I love Shakespeare. My favourite is A Midsummer Nights Dream, which we performed when I was in Year 8, 6 years ago. That was fun, I wish I still had the video for it! Umm. I also loved Macbeth, Hamlet and Twelfth Night. Admittedly I have never seen or read any form of Romeo and Juliet, though like any normal person, I pretty much know the story already! I definitely hope to read more plays soon, particularly Taming of the Shrew, which I hear is excellent.

Any other suggestions?
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Christine McTague
No broom

Post by Christine McTague » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:48 pm

I love Shakespeare. Hamlet has to be my most favourite of his plays.
I was in Nevada recently, and they have a big Shakespeare festival there. I didn't get to see it unfortunately... Does anyone go regularly? Is it worth taking another vacation to go there?
Christine McTague, First Year, Slytherin.
Wand: Rosewood and ebony handle, 12", Gryphon feather.
Familiar: Keethan the eagle owl.
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Steph Rowe
No broom

Post by Steph Rowe » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:19 am

The only Shakespeare that I have read is Macbeth (in school). Oh, but we studied the film version of Much Ado About Noting a few years ago, which was really cool. Anyway, Macbeth was alright, but a bit dark for my liking at sometimes. I find Shakespeare hard to understand sometimes though. But I would like to read more, or at least see the story lines or watch a few more films...
Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elganorus Oakbark » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:51 pm

"A horse, a horse my kingdom for a horse!"
Sorry if I have it wrong recited.
And I love his poems too, but my favourites are the tragedies. (Richard III.)
I'm the Rugged Man, and the Ruler of all Chocolate Frogs!
Everybody wants to be Us!
Andrew Mooney

Post by Andrew Mooney » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:21 pm

i dont know yet but we will be reading one of them in school soon /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Return to “Book Talk”