Which Book Series Is Your Fav.?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Eoin Hogworth
No broom

Post by Eoin Hogworth »

No doubt that my favourite series,hands down with no compition is and will for a good while be The Inheritance Triology /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I can't wait for the third book

Tags:
Amanda Hensgen
No broom

Post by Amanda Hensgen »

Obviously, Harry Potter are my favorite series without a doubt. But I love many others as well. The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot are terrific! There are six books total. I love Lord of the Rings but that's considered more of a triology then a series. When I was younger I loved The Series of Unfortunate Events. I still read them if they come out though. They're just light, fun, and fast reads. I think there are a total of 12 out so far. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series aren't bad. I didn't enjoy the movie though. There are so many more novels and series I love out there. Those are just a few I enjoy. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Alwyn Paow
No broom

Post by Alwyn Paow »

Harry Potter holds a soft spot in my heart. I read it back in second grade when no one else had ever heard about it. *laughs* my brother and I did book reports on it and then everyone else started reading it. Then doing HP book reports were forbidden because everyone had read them.
But my favorite series now would be David Edding's The Belgariad and The Malloreon. I just love his writing style and the way he creates characters with visable flaws.
I feel lost and alone, like an artichoke in the snow...
Rafe Senneif
No broom

Post by Rafe Senneif »

Well of course I love Harry Potter. I have read them all so many times...especially book 4! /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Otherwise, I am currently really into the Dresden Files. They are about a not so super slueth/wizard who has to clean up Chicago's supernatural crime. I am up to book 3, Grave Peril, right now, and I can't wait to finish the rest!
"You place too much importance... on the so-called purity of blood!
You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born,
but what they grow to be!" --Albus Dumbledore
Mike Turner
No broom

Post by Mike Turner »

My have to be..................
Well i can't decide so i'm going to say the top 3

1. Harry Potter
2. The Chronicles of narnia
3. Katie Kazoo
Cassandra Dresden
No broom

Post by Cassandra Dresden »

Rafe Senneif wrote:Well of course I love Harry Potter. I have read them all so many times...especially book 4! /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Otherwise, I am currently really into the Dresden Files. They are about a not so super slueth/wizard who has to clean up Chicago's supernatural crime. I am up to book 3, Grave Peril, right now, and I can't wait to finish the rest!
Rafe, you're reading the Dresden Files series? That's great, I love that series (as you can tell by my name). It totally rocks! You're on Grave Peril? Just want till you see his grave, if you haven't already. That one is interesting, though you've still got about 4 books left, and the 8th one comes out next year. The last one, Dead Beat, was really good. Okay, now anyways, like I said, I love the Dresden Files series, and there's this series I just finished reading by Simon R. Green, his Nightside series, which is so cool, but it's really (and I mean REALLY) dark. But that's what makes it so interesting. The Nightside is like a hell version of London. Also, I liked the Bourne triology (there's two movies out about it so far), it's a kind of espionage series, and Laurie R. King has this series based on the original Sherlock Holmes stories about a woman named Mary Russell, who meets Holmes in 1915. Oh, and Diana Wynne Jones Chrestomanci series is so fun to read, all about magic and seperate worlds. Okay, that's all I can think of for the moment. Wait, Rafe, you should check out this site for stuff about the Dresden Files and Jim's other books, as well as excerpts from the 8th book when you get to it.
Last edited by Cassandra Dresden on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going to brush its teeth. So there.â€￾ –Rob Landley
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and was generally considered a bad move.â€￾ –The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, by Douglas Adams
Keely Pederson
No broom

Post by Keely Pederson »

Harry Potter, no duh. Followed closely behind by the Inheritance trilogy. Then the Warrior Cat series (yes, this series is a little bit kid-ish, but what can I say? I love cats! ^^"")

But I'll really read anything, just shove a book under my nose and I'll be happy.
RAMEN!!!!!!

Save the Chlorofleorocarbons!

Enjoy life. Enjoy the Love Ducks.
Camilla Loren
No broom

Post by Camilla Loren »

Harry Potter (of course ^^)
The Immortals series (of course, anything by Tamora Pierce is genius)
The Great Good Thing and Into the Labyrinth (easy, and only 2 books, but the idea is genius!)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (a series all sci-fi geeks MUST love. Although the latter books aren't even close to the caliber of the first)
Orick Excalibur
No broom

Post by Orick Excalibur »

Other than the Harry Potter Series, I like the Chronicles of Narnia.
*Siggy made by Natalie James at the Sig N' Av Palace.*
Hufflepuff | First Year | Badger Cub Award | MARS | or605 |
Nivek Skytook

Post by Nivek Skytook »

Lord of the Rings/Wheel of Time/Harry Potter.

/ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />
Daniel Inlan
No broom

Post by Daniel Inlan »

Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/ Series of Unfortunate Events
Dide Azureflame
No broom

Post by Dide Azureflame »

humm, this is a hard one.

First there is harry potter for obvious reasons
Second there is 'The Witches of Eileanan/Rhiannons Ride' mainly scottishy mythology. The basis is that x ammount of years ago during the Burning Times/Witch Trials the witches and those who supported them folded space and time to travel to a new world (of course the author never says this but it is heavily implied and one of the nations actually ends up molding themselves after christianity)
Most of the story focuses around a group of characters who fight to rid the world of the cruely enfoced "Truth" and bring freedom to its people, later they work to unite the world under one banner.
It's an very well written story but if your looking for flashy magic this isn't the place, much of the magic is ritual or subtle though some fairly flasy special effects (/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />) are employed. however the more impressive ones are the ones done without any hint of their working (such as a chapter where a character evaporates two glasses of wine, one filled with poison, and switches them without mixing them while carrying on a normal conversation with her would be killer who promptly downs the poison)

Third would be 'The Old Kingdom Trilogy' kinda harry potterish (well not really) Most of the world is normal a little less technologically advanced than us, but in the north of one continent is a great wall that separates the world from the Old kingdom where magic still lives. Much of the wolds magic has been bound into a great charter but free magic and necromancy constantly try to destroy it.
The magic system seems to be more descriptive, the characters combining symbols, words, gestures and sounds to roughly describe what they want to happen. The main character is always a female Abhorsen who is the only good necromancer (laying the dead to rest etc) Most of the world is original and the magic system is really good from a writing pov as the authour only describes a few spells mainly sticking with "Sameth draws the marks for cleansing, destruction and peace" which destroys corpses protecting them from being used by a necromancer.

But i can't decide all three are great and unique in their own way. :'(
Kylara Avalon
No broom

Post by Kylara Avalon »

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, the Shanarra books by Terry Brooks, and the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

"The people whose opinions matter won't care, and the people who would care, don't count." - Fearthainn
Madolyn Moriarty
No broom

Post by Madolyn Moriarty »

I'd have to say the Harry Potter books. I've read some great books but most of them aren't in a series. The only other series i like is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I love the films, but i think the books are a little too detailed and a bit confusing. The Potter books are the only ones i can read over and over without getting bored of them.
Sig & Av made by Cho Delacour at the Sig N' Av Palace <3

Madolyn Moriarty | ma785 | First Year | Desert Kitten | HOL PPC | Gryffindor Veggie - Long Live Don Ferneo!!
Clare Granger
No broom

Post by Clare Granger »

My favorite book series is Harry Potter by far. I have liked the Harry Potter books since like third grade. I am obsessed and I am proud to be. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Silvio Dante
No broom

Post by Silvio Dante »

I love the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, i think a lot of people would really enjoy them. Of course i also love the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books but that's a given.
Jasmin Rey
No broom

Post by Jasmin Rey »

Well, my FAVE# series of books are...Lord of the Rings...And Im sorry all really BIG HP fans! but, only after that comes HP....but its like 1/100 difference...lol...I also like Sweet Valley High by Francine Pascal, and The Discworld novels by Terry Pratchet...They are just so...good! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> aanndd...there was another..but...I cant remember...umn.. All the bok of Paul Jennings and "Lemony Snicket"!!

By me at Collab Grfx! feel free to PM me for one
Hermione Smith
No broom

Post by Hermione Smith »

my fav book series is harry potter (not very suprising). i like it because it combines a story about a teenagers and real life problems and fanasy, which both i love! it is funny at points and serious at points. harry potter is also well written.

i also like lord of the rings, because it is so well written and holds you interest. it is a mix of fanasy and drama, with a little bit of comity in there.
Harry potter rocks!
Sarah Pishon
No broom

Post by Sarah Pishon »

I love Tamora Pierce books, specifically: The Lioness, The Immortals, Circle of Magic, The Protector of the Small.

All wondrous!

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are also a lovely read. My favorites are: The Vampire Armand, and Memnoch the Devil.

Also under her other pen name - The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty. Interesting read, erotic, and explicit in nature, approach with caution! /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />
Silver tongued and debonair, serpents are not caught unaware.
Opportunities abound, No more cunning a lot can ever be found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A proud member of Slyth Pit Portkey.

Return to “Book Talk”