Dan Brown

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Jamie Dolohov
No broom

Post by Jamie Dolohov » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:44 am

I have read Angles & Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and Digital Fortress. I love all teh weird codes and locks and all the twists in his books...they're amazing.
Jamie Dolohov/ ja522/ Slytherin

"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one, and one is three; and yet that the one is not three, and the three are not one." -Thomas Jefferson

made by Tambaqui at the Sig n Av Palace
Oscar Sanchez
No broom

Post by Oscar Sanchez » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:58 am

Dan Brown is just great! I have read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons and the are marvelous. Though I don't feel very interested in Deception Point and Digital Fortress I can't wait to read next year The Solomon Key!!!
As long as you don't yake the arguments of the books (specially in The Code) very seriously you will receive lots and lots of entertaining.
I read The Da Vinci Code is less than a month and Angels and Demons in a week. Most of you are right, they are very likely but yet they are extraordinary!
One ring to rule, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness, bind them!
Ravenclaw is knowledge, knowledge is power
Steph Rowe
No broom

Post by Steph Rowe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 am

I have read The Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress, both of which were really good. I want to read his other novels, too, when I get around to it.
Jenilina Sohma
No broom

Post by Jenilina Sohma » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:38 pm

I've read all the books that came out already: Digital Fortress (1998), Angels & Demons (2000), Deception Point (2001), and The Da Vinci Code (2003).

His book keeps me on the edge of my seat. There is like so much suspence, you dont know what might happen next. All of them were great. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Last edited by Jenilina Sohma on Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saria Lee
No broom

Post by Saria Lee » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:56 pm

I have just started reading Angels and Demons, and so far it is a really fantastic book that I would (even though I haven't finished it yet) recommend to anyone looking for a new and exciting book to read.

|Saria Lee | sa518 | Gryffindor | Second Year | Gryffindor Cheerleader|

Sig made by me.
Sonne Lindemann
No broom

Post by Sonne Lindemann » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:38 am

I loved both 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons'. Just hope the DVC movie keeps the book's essence.
Prof. Maya Winters
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Maya Winters » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:32 pm

I hadn't read the Da Vinci code until a couple of months ago because although I knew there was a lot of hype about it, I wasn't really all that sure that something with a kind of historical base would interest me. But, one day I just decided to buy it and for the next couple of days I was pretty much attached to it.
After that I read all of his other books too and I love them all. There are so many twists and clever little extra bits that make the storys so fascinating to read. Not sure about the film version though - Tom Hanks?! I've never been his greatest fan, but I'll withold my judgement until its out!
Thanks to Dario for providing me with the shiny butterflies for my sig/av ^^
Elyranna Reginhart
No broom

Post by Elyranna Reginhart » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:11 pm

As many other readers I started with The Da Vinci Code, really enjoyed it, then, went on to read Angels and Demons and was somehow disapointed in the end. I wasn't so much the subject of Angels and Demons, because I found that Illuminati are almost as fascinating as the Holly Graal, but the structure is mostly the same. For those who read it, you might agree that it was rather disapointing that again, the "treasure" wasn't was it was supposed to be, that the vilain was the only person that seems "good" and that Langdon still gets the girl in the end. What I liked about Da Vinci was the fact that every historical details and art pieces were based on reality and it made the book disturbingly beleivable. Aslo the clues and riddles were highly entertaining. As for Angels and Demons, even if it was much darker that Da Vinci and that the structure of the plot was not as original, I still think it is a great to put on your to-read list.
Last edited by Elyranna Reginhart on Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel Baudelaire
No broom

Post by Rachel Baudelaire » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:59 pm

I've read all of his books. *g* My favourite is still The Da Vinci Code; it was the first one I read and it was just incredible. The first one made the most impact because the other books are similar in writing style, yeah they're still amazing, but they can't win the first one. Have you guys seen the illustrated version? It's pretty cool, I had to go online and google all the clues back then *g*
Gwendolyn Zabini
No broom

Post by Gwendolyn Zabini » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:03 am

I love Dan Brown's story plots, and all the mysteries and of the sort...

Personally, I just like authors who take a lot of research in their stories. I'm about
to read Angels and Demons, once it's not on loan in the library anymore...
(They're having a sale at the bookstore, so I'm saving up $40/50 to buy all four.
Fat chance I'll save enough before spending it on chocolate!).

But yes, I have to agree with Annielle Katzenberg, his characters are a bit underdeveloped...
I make no sense
Andrew Mooney

Post by Andrew Mooney » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:23 pm

ive only read theda vinci codebut i want to read the others soon /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />
October Jackson
No broom

Post by October Jackson » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:22 pm

Elyranna Reginhart wrote:What I liked about Da Vinci was the fact that every historical details and art pieces were based on reality and it made the book disturbingly beleivable.
That's what really wound me up about the Da Vinci Code - it got so many historical, theological and even architectural details completely wrong that its claim to be based on "Fact" just drove me nuts!

I thought his prose style was shallow, bland and cliched, and the characters deeply irritating, but at the same time the book was a real page-turner. If it hadn't claimed more authenticity than it could deliver, I'd probably have enjoyed it a lot more. Despite the writing and the huge inaccuracies, I still had to read it to the end, which shows how impressive Dan Brown's narrative skills are. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think Oscar's got it absolutely right - as long as you don't take it seriously it's very entertaining.
"His name was... was..." Hagrid swallowed.
"Can't you write it down?" Harry suggested.
"Nah, can't spell it. All right -- Voldemort™." He shuddered. "Don't make me say it again -- it's trademarked. Do you want me to get sued?"
(Bandersnatch, TLC comments)

Allison Prencer
No broom

Post by Allison Prencer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:56 am

I hate all the dan brown books, i read the da vinci code, and all it was was a waste of time
Alli||Secondie||missed HOL like WHOAAAA
President of the Manda, Lyza, Gwyd, and Lili fanclubs||Obviously teh coolest randomllamahollisterloving Alli
Insane!Alli!
Thanks for teh sig and av Jacenta!
Dani Myrrdin
No broom

Post by Dani Myrrdin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:22 am

Cassandra Rose wrote:I love Dan Brown. I've only read Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code though....

Did you hear? they're making a movie of The Da Vinci Code!
That would make a great movie... as would Angels and Demons. Actually... I think any of his books would make a good thriller movie.
Oscar Sanchez wrote:Dan Brown is just great! I have read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons and the are marvelous. Though I don't feel very interested in Deception Point and Digital Fortress I can't wait to read next year The Solomon Key!!!
As long as you don't yake the arguments of the books (specially in The Code) very seriously you will receive lots and lots of entertaining.
I read The Da Vinci Code is less than a month and Angels and Demons in a week. Most of you are right, they are very likely but yet they are extraordinary!
I thought the same thing. I loved Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code, but when I read the blurbs for Deception Point and Digital Fortress, I wasn't sure I wanted to read them, but I decided to try it and they were really good. Not as good, in my opinion, as Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code, but engaging none-the-less and actually I liked Deception Point better than Digital Fortress. If nothing else, you might want to check them out from a library and try them. Sometimes books surprise you... I felt the same way about Harry Potter until I decided to give it a chance.
Rachel Baudelaire wrote:I've read all of his books. *g* My favourite is still The Da Vinci Code; it was the first one I read and it was just incredible. The first one made the most impact because the other books are similar in writing style, yeah they're still amazing, but they can't win the first one. Have you guys seen the illustrated version? It's pretty cool, I had to go online and google all the clues back then *g*
I own and have read all his books. I started with Angels & Demons and I agree, the first one makes the biggest impact. I really love The Da Vinci Code... it's a very, very close second to Angels and Demons. With Deception Point next and Digital Fortress as the least favorite, but still a very good book.

As for the illustrated version of The Da Vinci Code, it's incredible. I was given one last week for a gift and it makes it nice to be able to see some of the things that are being discussed in the book. In fact, I just completed reading it last Thurday... my second time reading The Da Vinci Code. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Last edited by Dani Myrrdin on Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.
Airemay Speare
No broom

Post by Airemay Speare » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:39 am

And now for a friendly mod prod!

Hi guys!! This is just a gentle reminder to use proper spelling/capitalization/grammar when posting here. Also, try to keep your posts longer than one sentence. I don't want novels from you all but one sentence is really too short. Happy reading!
Tyler Wood
No broom

Post by Tyler Wood » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Lets see what have I read from Dan Brown?... I think the only book that I've read by him was The Da Vinci Code. I really want to read Angels and Demons but I haven't been able to because of my schoolwork. But some day I will read it.
~*Tye*~

Tyler Wood | First Year | Slytherin | ty555

When we were little we were told to color inside the lines but if we live that way, then whats the point of living?

Once you have hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

. . . Always reach for the stars . . . . you're bound to grasp something. . .
Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ilona Littrell » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:24 pm

I've read Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point and am now working on the Digital Fortress. In that order.

I'm a fan, however... "not likely" some things are in them. My faves are definitely Angels and Demons, and Deception Point after that. I was bit disappointed at the Da Vinci Code to be honest. I read Angels and Demons first and well... The Code was pretty much the same plot.

And I read about them making it a movie as well, should be cool, the website is very good-looking. But Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon? ... I dunno know about you others, but... sure he a brilliant actor, but I can't say I didn't imagine someone a bit more...handsome? when I read the books. Well, that's just me /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Last edited by Ilona Littrell on Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^Sig & Av made by me.
Feel free to PM me if you want one
|Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Captain of the black PINK Pearl|
Romulus Kohler
No broom

Post by Romulus Kohler » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:08 pm

Interestingly enough, I just finished Digital Fortress yesterday. I must say that I do like Dan Brown's books, but to me it seems that they all follow the same plotline, just with different characters.

I read The Da Vinci Code first and I must say that I enjoyed it as well as Digital Fortress and Angels & Demons, they're all good in their own way, but still they are just too similar to deny that they have very close plotlines.
Ceridwen Hurst
No broom

Post by Ceridwen Hurst » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:01 pm

I love a good conspiracy theory especially one with so many historical and theological facts...the Da Vinci Code was amazing.
Melui Kurayami
No broom

Post by Melui Kurayami » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:25 am

I read DaVinci Code and loved it. But I've been trying to get through Angels and Demons for ages. It's just that it seems so similar to DVC that I can't get through it!

The movie, I think, will ruin it. I think that by the way it is written, it would not make a good movie. I'll see it anyway, and they might prove me wrong, but in my opinion, it should stay a book...

Return to “Book Talk”