Which Books Are Best?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Ali Einstein
No broom

Post by Ali Einstein » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:32 pm

Everyone has there own taste in books, but which books do you think are best: mystery, fantasy, or non-fiction?
And which specific books? I prefer mystery and Nancy Drew books.
Sig and Avatar made by Cho @ Sig 'N Av Palace
Hari O'Duibhleargain
No broom

Post by Hari O'Duibhleargain » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:33 pm

I really enjoy mystery, fantasy, and fiction, though some nonfiction is also cool. Lately I've been reading a lot of fantasy and fiction.

When I was younger I adored the Nancy Drew books, too. My mom had a collection of sorts, and I read all the ones we owned and a few we didn't. Now they're too easy though. My almost-eleven-year-old-sister's reading them instead /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Hari O'Duibhleargain~an381
Gabrielle Walker
No broom

Post by Gabrielle Walker » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:40 pm

I would have to say the best I read are mystery, horror, comedy, and science fiction. I am reading Stephen King books currently, so that is the one for horror. I am looking for a new mystery collection as I don't want to read Nancy Drew anymore. Comedy books I just stumble upon and can't put down. Also, I like to read Orson Scott Card books. I stayed up a whole night without knowing it just by reading Ender's Game. I just need to read Xenocide.
Last edited by Gabrielle Walker on Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine

Post by Christine » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:21 am

Ali Einstein wrote:Everyone has there own taste in books, but which books do you think are best: mystery, fantasy, or non-fiction?
And which specific books? I prefer mystery and Nancy Drew books.
I love those books they are awesome i also like Terry Pratchett books too they are like a twisted harry potter they are soooooo cool. Ive read, The Light Fantastic, Color of Magic, Equal Rights, Wee Free Men, and Hat full of Sky. right now im reading hogfather. Yet HP over rules everything. My favorite book is HP and the Goblet of fire. Whats yours?? i was mad the killed off my favorite character in the fith book (black)

(edited out the colour tag that wasn't actually being used - Hari)
Last edited by Christine on Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airemay Speare
No broom

Post by Airemay Speare » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:42 am

Right now, my favorite books are young adult fantasy. However, I tend to love all books. I just happen to own a lot of YA fantasy right now. *G* I also like science fiction (Ender's Game is fabulous! I am reading Speaker for the Dead right now), the classics, plays, etc. Mysteries are fun too. I grew up reading a lot of Nancy Drew.
Prof. Dom Gaidin
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Dom Gaidin » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:29 am

I guess I'm a fantasy fan /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I've not read anything but fantasy since I was at school - other than the school-set texts. I left some recommendations in the "book suggestions" topic, so I won't do so again here. When I was younger, I used to read other stuff, things like the "fighting fantasy" and "choose your own adventure" types were favourites for a while, and one of the first sets I recall reading were the "Hardy Boys" books, though now I can't even remember who they were by.

Dom
Dom Gaidin | pr_dom | Hufflepuff Professor
'By nature of definition, only the coward is capable of the highest heroism.'
'The sooner I fall behind, the more time I'll have to catch up.'
Katya Blue
No broom

Post by Katya Blue » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:31 am

i'd say fantasy or just plain adult fiction. anything i can get my hands on, really /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
katya blue | ravenclaw | ka613
Maria Afonso
No broom

Post by Maria Afonso » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:27 pm

Well, I think that what matters to me is not genre...I love all kinds of books. The way the books are written is what really matters to me.
I loved all Tolkien books, and i think that Meg Cabot's books are light and easy to read, specially in the summer. I also like Isabel Allende's books, and Sveva Casati's books, don't know if you ever heard of them... I also love some Portuguese books which you don't know, but are very good.
Image Here in wise old Ravenclaw if you have a ready mind those of wit and learning will always find their kind. Image
Nakamura Nishadake
No broom

Post by Nakamura Nishadake » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:20 pm

I like mysteries, horror stories, and Fantasy/Sci Fi. Good old fiction eh? Adventure books are pretty cool too. But I detest romance stories. So boring...
"Roy:"Yeah, Ed, how could I forget? I saw you lying there with the same stump of an arm you have now. Bawling in your sleep:'It HURTS!!! I'M GONNA PEE MY PANTS!!!'""
Blake Slatton
No broom

Post by Blake Slatton » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:39 pm

I like fantasy books - books that take you outside of the usual settings. Although I also like survival books, and historical fiction. Mystery and horror books are good as well.

But I'm not a *humongous* fan of science fiction -- I can handle some books, but aside from that I'm not to big into it.
Alte Sententiam | Pensieve Opinion Staff
Ravenclaw Book Club | Writer's Society

Sig made by Vladimir of Sig 'N 'Av Palace
Fallon Grayce
No broom

Post by Fallon Grayce » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:22 am

As far as types of books go, I guess I mainly go for Sci-Fi/Fantasy or Fiction. I adore vampire novels, especially Anne Rice and Laurell K. Hamilton as far as authors go. I used to love Christopher Pike's series, The Last Vampire, when I was younger. The Princess Bride is another of my favorites. I also tend to go more for classical literature as well.
‘Evil is not darkness, for darkness she is, and she can also be dangerous and destructive.’
Kris Weasley
No broom

Post by Kris Weasley » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:07 am

I prefer fantasy but I don't really like mystery too much like just 50% and 50% Fantasy
Siggy By Cho D.@ SignaturePalace
Ron:
Wish the lunch trolley would hurry up, I'm starving.
Amy Vision
No broom

Post by Amy Vision » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:30 am

Well you guys might think that I'm someone that wastes her life wishing but I love Romance /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> Sometimes the stories are so good I feel like its been happening to me. Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. Well I also love Fantasy and Sci-fi. P.S. If you know of any Romance books that are good, please tell me /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
I made this sig myself. feel free to PM me
if you would like me to make you one.

|Amy James Vision|Keeper of the Secrets|
|Chocolate Freak|Snape Hater|Harry Potter Lover|
Prof. Ulol Kimil
Comet 180

Post by Prof. Ulol Kimil » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:43 pm

I love to read historic novels, like Alexandros by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, The Accursed Kings series by Maurice Druon, or Aztec by Gary Jennings.
Life without books is death...

We can all dream a new dream and live a life of freedom... it is a matter of choice and will. - Spirit Knowledge
Ewlyn Bree
No broom

Post by Ewlyn Bree » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:41 pm

I love reading and seem to read books from every genre - fiction or non-fiction. But I think my favorites are anything by J.R.R. Tolkien (including all his notes and drafts and things), A.S. Byatt - especially her women quartet starting with The Virgin in the Garden and ending with The Whistling Woman, and Frank Herbert's Dune series. So, I guess that would put me in Fiction, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi. Oh, and, of course, anything Harry Potter, but that goes without saying.

I am also into history books - especially history before around 1200AD. Give me a book on the ancient world and I'm lost in it for days. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
My wand is 11 3/4 inches from a elm tree, with a centaur tail hair core.
Adelaide Starr

Post by Adelaide Starr » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:53 pm

the one book i love as much as HP is Ester's Child by Jean Sasson

it's SOOOOOO amazing. so good. amazing how like 4 families are all connected in the most coincidental way in the end. AMAZING. i could barely read the ending, i swear i was developing asthma. lol /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Emma Greene
No broom

Post by Emma Greene » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:39 pm

I love romance! My books I read are mostly romance novels. I love a heart-wrenching storyline and cry it all out. But on the other hand, I like mystery and fantasy books as well. Well, to say the truth, I love to read, it just depends on the storyline. I especially love books written by Nicholas Sparks and Meg Cabot. There are a lot of authors I admire as well but couldn't seem to remember their names. Sorry. *Bows to my favourite authors* Anyway, any genre of books are great for me! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Prof. Etheria Angel
No broom

Post by Prof. Etheria Angel » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:37 pm

That's really a hard one because I love all types of books. Right now I'm really into suspense and gothic novels, but next week it might be non-fiction history and fantasy. Probably my least favorite are romance novels and science fiction.
Wand: 14" rosewood with dragon scale core
Elandra Maerdyn
No broom

Post by Elandra Maerdyn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:59 pm

I've been reading fantasy novels ever since I was young, so apparently they've been a big hit with me ^.^ I just love that genre above all!! Then again, my taste in books is broad so I tend to enjoy literary works from every category.
Hazel Goldenrod
No broom

Post by Hazel Goldenrod » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:31 pm

I love fantasy. It's just about the only genre I read. I also read historical fiction and the occasional historical non-fiction. The only genres I really don't read are biographies and modern non-fiction.

Return to “Book Talk”