Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Eli Farmer
No broom

Post by Eli Farmer »

I realy liked The Giver. It defintely is a one-of-a-kind bok. I htink that if you are interested, you should go ahead and read it!

Tags:
Cassandra Rose
No broom

Post by Cassandra Rose »

I just read 'The Photograph' by Virginia Ellis, it is truly a must read book. I cried because it was such a sad book.
Last edited by Cassandra Rose on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
~C.J.R~
Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elganorus Oakbark »

Vivian Durdenski wrote:Of Mice and Man by John Steinbeck - a beautiful, deep, sad book about dreams, friendship and human cruelty.
Lord Of the Flies by William Golding - someone had already mentioned that one. A must!
Animal Farm by George Orwell - hard to read not because of the style but the content. And so true. I had to keep struggling with myslef to read on. But it was worth it.
Agreed.

I will add, as Sophoronia, the Discworld novels (Terry Pratchett), and Douglas Adams novels and some more seriuos ones like:

Shakespeare - all

Bohumil Hrabal - a czeh writer, very good if you like sarcasm and things alike

Asimov - all from the Robot universe

Oscar Wilde - tales (charming)

Franz Kaffka, and many many more classical...

They really worth reading even if they are not fantasy or sci-fi.
Give them a try!
I'm the Rugged Man, and the Ruler of all Chocolate Frogs!
Everybody wants to be Us!
Epo Then
No broom

Post by Epo Then »

There are many great suggestions in this thread, many that I agree with, and all I really want to say is:
Foxfire: Confessions of a girlgang By Joyce Carol Oates... I honestly never thought I could love a book as much as I love this one. The language, the characters, everything.. It's oh so tragical and oh so perfectly written, just love it all. It's about a girl gang, and the story is told by one of the members, Maddy, but it's mostly about Legs... Who is such an interesting character. But then again, what I love the most, is the language, which is insane..
"You could be my king, I would knit you mittens and make you pie..."
Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Post by Niniel Sanders »

Tamora Pierce
The Song of the Lioness quartet
Alanna: The First Adventure
In the Hand of the Goddess
The Woman who Rides like a Man
Lioness Rampant

The Immortals quartet
(there're 4 titles in this as well)

The Circle of Magic quartet

The Protector of the Small quartet

The Circle Opens quartet
Illiah Black
No broom

Post by Illiah Black »

Ooh year guys, i would also lke to recomend books by:
Robert Jordan
Steven King
Garth Nix
Robbin Hob
Terry Goodkind
Issabelle Carmody - obynewton series and the legendsong saga - sooooo good
also Cavern of Ice and it's series
oh i can't believe i forgot this book, its my all time favourite!
'Old Magic' by well i can't actually remember the author soz, if i do i'll edit this post again. Anyway, its a short book but is really really really good.
Last edited by Illiah Black on Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contrary to popular belief, i am NOT CRAZY
Elyna Moonveil
No broom

Post by Elyna Moonveil »

hmmm....good books , well i must be honest and say that i haven't read as many books from the foreign literature , but the ones i have always left a pleasant impression on me.So here's my little list (in random order) :
Paolo Coelho-11 Minutes and The Alchymist
Emily Bronte-Wuthering Heights
J.D Salinger-The catch in the rie
Sylvia Plath-The glass bell (im not sure whether this is the english term-i have it in my own language)
John steinbeck-The winter of our discontempt
Hemingway-Farewell , arms
the list goes on but i dunno...i could recommand some Romanian books but i dont know how many students here are actually from Romania so i'll just stick to those
/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
'How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
The world forgetting by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'd accepted , and each wish resign'd.'
~Alexander Pope~
Airemay Speare
No broom

Post by Airemay Speare »

Just a friendly mod reminder to use proper spelling and grammar when posting. This means capitalization and punctuation. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Gwendolyn Zabini
No broom

Post by Gwendolyn Zabini »

Let's see...

My favourite almost all-time book is The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. It's quite educational as well /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Err... I probably don't need to recommend Harry Potter here...

Some other good books are...

Finding Cassie Crazy, by Jaclyn Moriarty

and...

The Firm, by John Grisham

And lots more, but I can't fit them all in... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
I make no sense
Bev Grey
No broom

Post by Bev Grey »

Some great books to read if you like Harry Potter are
Bartimaus trilology
Eragon
Eldest (book 2 of eragon)
Children of the Lamp

All these books are great. I love them all!

"I'd Rather Be Hated For Who I Am Then Loved For Who I Am Not"
Avery Brookshire
No broom

Post by Avery Brookshire »

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray is one of my favourites. Going into a realm where you can do anything and be anything and have anything you want?!?! Yes please?
Also Ella Enchanted-book is much better than the movie, and Piratica is good, especially if you like pirates and girls kickin butt! Wooo!
*Yo ho, yo -ouch!- a pirate's life for me*

"Of course the Neverlands vary a good deal. John's had a lagoon with flamingo's flying over it at which John was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it."

~I'm having Sirius denial~
Emilor MacKinnon
No broom

Post by Emilor MacKinnon »

I've noticed quite a few people mention John Grisham. Well, I'm happy to read his books, but he wrote one called "A Painted House" that's very different from his others (no lawyers for one) and my favorite of his. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Tanis Majere
No broom

Post by Tanis Majere »

Try Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. If that hooks you in the entire dragonlance series should interest you.
Wolfdrac Dragonalia
No broom

Post by Wolfdrac Dragonalia »

I've seen Eragon recommended. Has anyone read the sequel Eldest?

I really liked Eragon but haven't read the sequel yet.

Wolfdrac
Rachel Baudelaire
No broom

Post by Rachel Baudelaire »

I was just packing my bookshelf when I came across my Torey Hayden book, 'Just Another Kid'. Torey Hayden's books are mostly about her experiences and reflections gleaned from being a special-educations teacher, and they deal with tougher issues revolving around children with special needs and abused children.

"Hayden's compassionate writing underscores the power of love. The engrossing accounts of disaster and growth among a crew of unusual children sear the reader to the page."
-Topeka Capital-Journal

Her writing leaves a punch, she tells it as it is and they stories will pull at your heartstrings. It reminds you that 'love takes many forms'. Try it out! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Ryuichi Hyori
No broom
Location: We strive to be the best, but just end up being a part of a nest of people of equal intelligence. We

Post by Ryuichi Hyori »

I really enjoyedThe Catcher in the Ryefor some reason. I just had no idea that my school would allow such a book to enter its library. A very interesting concept and the characters are great as well.

Holden, the main character, has been kicked out a school for the fourth time now, and he goes home early without telling his parents and lives life out on the town in New York for a few days. Very comical and thought evoking.

[-Potiontology-][-Class Assistant-]

When you want everything you'll end up with nothing...
Faye Laramie
Oakshaft 79

Post by Faye Laramie »

Since I'm on a posting splurge I might as well add to this one. I'm starting to drift away from fantasy; sorry Garth Nix, that new book sucked. Same with you, Gregory Macguire.

As for classics, I agree with Elganorus - get yourself some Kafka. You'll like it. It's short, I promise. (Well, The Trial is, anyway.) And if you like sci-fi (sort of sci-fi, futuristic anyway) get Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. The title sounds like a vapid chick lit book, but it fits, I swear.

I don't know if anyone else recommended this, since no way did I read through 6 pages of recommendations, but in light of the film coming out in December, read Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Aside from Madame Bovary, it's such a perfect piece of literature.

Oh, if you're in the mood for plays, Equus is so good. Poor Alan. Doublemint, doublemint, doublemint gum, indeed.
Glumbumble pie.
Alwyn Paow
No broom

Post by Alwyn Paow »

I agree with Leah, Memoirs of a Geisha is a wonderful book. I read it about a year or two ago and thought it was great.
One book which I've loved for years is The Little White Horse. I actually think that my mom got it for me because it was one of the books that JK Rowling said inspired her. But it's a lovely story that just has something... special. It's wonderful for all ages.
But my personal favorite book is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's a hilarious story about the Apocolypse. Other books by those two authors are great too, but Good Omens is my ABSOLUTE favorite. Even reading to prologue is fun!
I feel lost and alone, like an artichoke in the snow...
Cassandra Dresden
No broom

Post by Cassandra Dresden »

Alwyn Paow wrote:I agree with Leah, Memoirs of a Geisha is a wonderful book. I read it about a year or two ago and thought it was great.
One book which I've loved for years is The Little White Horse. I actually think that my mom got it for me because it was one of the books that JK Rowling said inspired her. But it's a lovely story that just has something... special. It's wonderful for all ages.
But my personal favorite book is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's a hilarious story about the Apocolypse. Other books by those two authors are great too, but Good Omens is my ABSOLUTE favorite. Even reading to prologue is fun!
Hey Alwyn, I completely agree, Good Omens was really funny, it just made fun of everything and it was totally insane. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> They both are really good authors. Though have you read Neil Gaiman's book American Gods? I just finished that one, and it was pretty interesting, all about gods of past and present, and a kind of war between the two. And there was some twists I really didn't expect. One other book that I really liked though was Peace Like A River by Leif Enger, there was a lot of stuff about miracles in it that was different than you usually see.
Last edited by Cassandra Dresden on Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going to brush its teeth. So there.â€￾ –Rob Landley
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and was generally considered a bad move.â€￾ –The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, by Douglas Adams
Alwyn Paow
No broom

Post by Alwyn Paow »

Cassandra Dresden wrote:Hey Alwyn, I completely agree, Good Omens was really funny, it just made fun of everything and it was totally insane.  /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> They both are really good authors. Though have Neil Gaiman's book American Gods? I just read that one, and it was pretty interesting, all about gods of past and present, and a kind of war between the two. And there was some twists I really didn't expect. One other book that I really liked though was Peace Like A River by Leif Enger, there was a lot of stuff about miracles in it that was different than you usually see.
I read American Gods. It was very good. I was surprised at the end. You know what I mean *wink*. I really love stuff by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's all good. Sorry to say I haven't read Peace Like A River. Maybe I'll check it out sometime.
I feel lost and alone, like an artichoke in the snow...

Return to “Book Talk”