Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Gwyd Aerlyn
No broom

Post by Prof. Gwyd Aerlyn »

I see several people have mentioned Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code . It's prequel, Angels and Demons is very good, too. I think I actually liked it a bit more than DaVinci Code (I didn't figure out so much before hand in Angels and Demons). Same basic premise, though, with lots of interesting historical bits.

Any Dean Koontz fans here? I think he has a freakier mind than Stephen King! He's written a few duds, but others are so strange they're astounding!

And don't believe the reviewers saying Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is "Harry Potter for adults." It's set in the early 1800s, written in old English prose with lots of footnotes, some extremely long, and 800+ pages long. It's interesting enough that I haven't stopped reading it, but I definitely feel like I'm slogging through it. Even people who like the book say you have to hang in there for the first 100+ pages before deciding whether to continue on or not. Believe me, that's a very DULL 100+ pages...don't recommend it...wish I'd never started it, but now that I'm halfway through, I guess I'll stick with it to see how it turns out. If I stay awake that long. Some people love it, though, like the friend of mine who got me to buy it. *shakes head wonderingly*
2nd Place Winners - 2007-08 HOL Challenge!
Professor Gwyd Aerlyn - Griffindor
"I flaunted authority, so they made me one." - Albert Einstein
"Well-behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Tags:
Sydni Lee
No broom

Post by Sydni Lee »

QUOTE i can't say a book name but there is tamor Perice, philliph pullman, and many other people who i like and could tell you who is good, i read about 300 books that are over 300 pages this summer[/quote]

I agree. Tamora Perice is really good. The only books I read were the Song of the Lioness series, I recomend it. Also Phillip Pullman is really good. He wrote on of my altime favorite books, The Goldan Compass. It is in a series, I forget what it is called, but that one is the best of the series! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Last edited by Sydni Lee on Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sydni Lee 3rd year Gryffindor
Elleze Drayer
No broom

Post by Elleze Drayer »

I love Ernest Hemingway's stuff. The Sun Also Rises is such a great read, it's the type of book where you can read it in one sitting because the story is captivating and the imagery is really vivid. It's great on a literal and metaphorical level. There is also a book of short stories by Hemingway that I want to read.
Last edited by Elleze Drayer on Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only woman awake is the woman who has heard the flute." -- Rumi
Lyza Zhen Haliwell
No broom

Post by Lyza Zhen Haliwell »

i totally agree with Gwyd Aerlyn, Dan Brown wrote The Vinci Code and Angels and Demon in the most possible way. It was terrific. There's also this book written by Paulo Coehlo, Eleven Minutes. it was very good. and yes Memoirs of Geisha is an exelent book. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
Last edited by Lyza Zhen Haliwell on Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
|7 1/2" Mahogany w/ Unicorn Hair|GRYFFINDOR|3rd yr|
|PPC|Proud Rabbleteer|MuggleBorn|

siggy by Ceri McHawk
Melui Kurayami
No broom

Post by Melui Kurayami »

Sydni Lee wrote:I agree. Tamora Perice is really good. The only books I read were the Song of the Lioness series, I recomend it. Also Phillip Pullman is really good. He wrote on of my altime favorite books, The Goldan Compass. It is in a series, I forget what it is called, but that one is the best of the series!  /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
It's called "His Dark Materials". I read it years ago. Though I never finished the second. I didn't like it as much as I did the first, so I stopped. I should finish the series one of these days. -__-;;;

I love Tamora Pierce. I just got Trickster's Choice, so I'll start that this weekend.

Memoirs of a Geisha was an incredible book that I just read.

I like the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, though I'm stuck in the third. It got REALLY boring, and I just can't get through it. But the first two were incredible. I have to finish this book so I can continue in the series...I loved the first two, so I bought most of the rest, but I haven't gotten to them yet!

I have too many books I'm in the middle of/sitting under my bed, waiting to be read. Wicked, by Gregory Macguire is one of them. Started out amazing, but then got really slow and bad in the middle...the second half... -__- Not much left, so I have to finish it.

Yes, I do this a lot with books. It has to be really good, or at least pretty good, throughout, or I stop. >__<
Zuvona Miska
No broom

Post by Zuvona Miska »

I love fantasy and sci-fi books so I would suggest Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card, Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan, A Series of Unfortuante Events by Lemonny Snicket, and Eragon Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini to name a few.

Zuvi Miska
Second Year
Thanks to Addy for the beautiful siggy!
Seren Edwards
No broom

Post by Seren Edwards »

I have just read Septimus Heap, Magick and its brilliant. Its all wizards and magic and in some ways its similar to Harry Potter. As there is a child that has powers , that needs to be protected etc. Any Harry Potter fan will really enjoy this book.
Alwyn Paow
No broom

Post by Alwyn Paow »

Zuvona Miska wrote:I love fantasy and sci-fi books so I would suggest... Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan...
I've actually been interested in reading that series for a long time but couldn't find someone to tell me what it's about or why I should read it. I think it was because I found some amazing fanart for it. Could you tell me a little something about the books Zuvona?
I feel lost and alone, like an artichoke in the snow...
Danielle Mandeville
No broom

Post by Danielle Mandeville »

Cirque Du Freak is awsome! It's a vampire story. *nods* And it's really origional/fun. It's about a boy that bumps into a vampire when him and his friend sneak out one night. His life is never the same again...I definetly recomend you read it!
*Dany*
Last edited by Danielle Mandeville on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*If the sky is the limit, why bother trying?*

Sophie Snowball
No broom

Post by Sophie Snowball »

i dont know if anyone has suggested this but i would definately reccomend the garth nix trilogy, sabriel, lireal and abhorsen, they are truely amazing books, also the phillip pullmen series, northen lights the amber spyglass and the other one, what was it now? its been so long. were also great reads!
see link in profile for character central signatures! Or visit Hogsmeade Lot 39!
Guinevere Moon
No broom

Post by Guinevere Moon »

Hi... I will suggest for the one who like to read bizzare stuff and cool books:

"The metamorphosis" Franz Kafka
"The Acid House" Irvin Welsh

Th acid House are 5 short stories and they also have made a movie that has the same name it is really great .. i just don't have anything to add... just read them and make your comments...

kisses.

Guin
Elnariel Lasvereth
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elnariel Lasvereth »

Okay, I have quite a lot of books I really, really like...well, here go some of them:

Elenium/Tamuli series (6 books) and Belgariad/Malloreon series (10 books) by David Eddings (they are *really* great; I've read them countless of times and I still love them)

The Dark is rising by Susan Cooper (supposedly a series for teenagers but I still love the books)

Marion Zimmer Bradley writes really good stories (both the Avalon-books and the Darkover books)

I also recommend Timeline, Prey and Airframe by Michael Crichton (awesome writing-style, that man)

Then I found this book Atlantis by David Gibbins. It's very well written and really breathtaking (it's about the discovery of Atlantis...it may be fiction but it keeps as close to the archaeological facts as possible - wonderful)

Of course nothing tops Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit...but hey, I'm a fanatic so maybe that's just me /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
"I write so I shan't fade away. In every writing, I leave a piece of me, a memory, an ideal, a feeling, something. I write as I live, spontaneously, chaotically. I write so I will remember one day and realize I wasn't dreaming. I write, because I'm still alive." -unknown
Tiima Norrgard
No broom

Post by Tiima Norrgard »

I think everybody should read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton as previously mentioned. It is not a difficult book by any means, but it is great. Read it before watching the movie, though. The movie takes a lot of stuff out and leaves questions at the end. It is all explained much better in the book, This is my favorite book.

I don't really read much fiction because I am a non-ficton nerd. I do like The Hope and The Glory. It is a series of two books about Israel's fight for independence. It is fiction. Well, it is historical fiction since it is based off of real events. It is not overly political, though. However, I wouldn't rate them G. I'm not sure what I would rate them actually.
Lucia Granger
No broom

Post by Lucia Granger »

some good books...
Night Gate by Isobelle Carmody(I loved this book)
Warrior series(it's about warrior cats) by Erin Hunter(again, I love these books!)
The Goose Girl/Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
Life is music, play it louder

don't close your eyes, this is your life

Hari and Fiona Granger's little sis, Lucia.
Adelaide Cascade
No broom

Post by Adelaide Cascade »

I've read many good books. The Ranger's Apprentice was a great book! The Outsiders and That Was Then This is Now are two must reads.
The Wave is really good if your in to the affect of Nazi Germany.
Another good book is Night. It made me cry at the end.

PROPS TO FOUSTIE!!!!!
Water... Earth... Fire... Air. Long ago, the 4 nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all 4 elements, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an airbender named Aang. And although his airbending skills are great, he still has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe Aang can save the world.
Aberforth Yelloweyes
No broom

Post by Aberforth Yelloweyes »

I just read some extremely good chronicles.

The Chronicles of Faerie, by O.R. Melling includes the books The Hunter's Moon, The Summer King, The Light-Bearer's Daughter and The Book of Dreams. The author recounts a story etwined between Canada and Ireland, between the Earth and Faerie(the Fairy world). It's a wonderful read for any lover of fantasy. If the world were just, another of Melling's books would be anticipated like a Harry Potter. But since it isn't fair, this quartet remains a secret pleasure for all who love fairies.
Sierra Dave
No broom

Post by Sierra Dave »

Hey, I want to suggest this book. If you're crazy about Japan, you'll like it. This is a trilogy books. So, there are three books, which are..

Tales of Otori - Accross The Nightingale Floor
Tales of Otori - Grass For His Pillow
Tales of Otori - Brilliance of The Moon

These books talk about clans in Japan. The author is Lion Hearn. Trust me, these are great books!
"I'll do what I need to do..."

^^^the one who is crazy about books, reading books, writing book, and hoping to be an author^^^

----------unBeLoVed----------

>>>>>tenth02nineteenninetynine<<<<<
Cantrix Amherst
No broom

Post by Cantrix Amherst »

Through Violet eyes by Stephen Woodworth
Everything's Eventual by Stephen King (It's an Anthology)
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Mirror Mirror By Gregory Maguire
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
A Taste of Crimson by Marjorie M. Liu
Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Lottery by Beth Goobie
Sticks and Stone by Beth Goobie

Long list I know. I read alot of these in grade 7 since I'm apparently a 'Mature Reader'. Me and my grade 7 teacher shared books (I got called teachers pet, but so what. I got good books /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />)
That's it! See, at first, I thought it was hate too.
Hate was all I knew, it imprisoned me, taught me how to eat, how to drink, how to breathe.
I thought I would die with all the hate in my veins.
But then, something happened. It happened to me, just as it happened to you.

Return to “Book Talk”